Auto Inflation Floatation for Phantom 2

Reaction score
It has been discussed here many times. They will not inflate in time to keep it from sinking and in some tests it was shown that they may descend quickly to a depth where the water pressure will not let them inflate at all. Don't waste your money.

This subject has been discussed quite a bit with various options. However if a phantom is to go for a swim what is the likelihood it will be salvageable if it can be retrieved?

Even if your lucky enough after drying it out and it still flys, are you going to trust flying a £1000+ quadcopter hundreds of feet in the air? Who knows what invisible damage the water has caused.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Meluk said:
This subject has been discussed quite a bit with various options. However if a phantom is to go for a swim what is the likelihood it will be salvageable if it can be retrieved?

Even if your lucky enough after drying it out and it still flys, are you going to trust flying a £1000+ quadcopter hundreds of feet in the air? Who knows what invisible damage the water has caused.

In fresh water, that's a hard question to answer. I'd always be wary of it even if it worked fine after drying out. I wouldn't sell it to anyone.

In salt water, I'd chalk it up to a total loss and destroy it no matter what.

My sentiments exactly. I suppose a gopro is worth trying to keep going and perhaps a gimbal?

I don't think I could trust the naza again though.

Fly over water and your accepting the risk of loosing it all.

Solution... pool noodles.

foam-pool-noodles-300x1991-150x150.jpg

Meluk said:

I think the main issue would be the Naza. The motors are brushless and really hold up very well to water. You'd definitely toss the battery. The gimbal and camera are not a safety concern, just a reliability issue. If you could find a new naza to put in it, I think that'd be the main issue.

I think you would have a much better chance of recovery and much less damage if you never let her sink. At any depth, the pressure will force water into every possible space, making it much harder to get thoroughly dry.
Any inflation mechanism will add weight. You can add floats for very little weight penalty. There will be some effects from the wind, and prop wash, but if you keep them under the motors it will be minimal. Pool noodles on the skids were the worst for wind and had to be really long to keep the bird upright. It was not possible to keep them out of the camera's view.

Having already lost one P2 in the drink, I now use the Getterback system on my P2 and F550. It's cheap ($19.95), compact and lightweight. I hope I never have to find out if it works or not, but if it does I figure I can at least salvage my $50 MicroSD card, props, motors and shell (or frame of my F550).

lgeist said:
Having already lost one P2 in the drink, I now use the Getterback system on my P2 and F550. It's cheap ($19.95), compact and lightweight. I hope I never have to find out if it works or not, but if it does I figure I can at least salvage my $50 MicroSD card, props, motors and shell (or frame of my F550).
That's a unique way of retrieval. It must be a long tense 10 minute wait to see that little yellow savior surface. :D

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DonT