Authorities shutting me down

JWarren said:
Good points BigTulsa. I used to fly R/C Helicopters and planes. First thing I did when I decided to buy my PV2+ is renew my membership to the AMA, before my Phantom was even here. I'm the last one to ever call for new laws, but perhaps if you actually had to get certified, like to carry a concealed weapon, it would weed out the "toy buyers" from the serious students of aerial photography and video with a hard interest in R/C flight.

Regards,
Joel

I don't necessarily know that certification is the answer; I don't think AMA requires it, however the individual clubs may. Many of them offer free or nearly free training from club member instructors. I learned the old fashioned way. My dad taught me how to fly on a Jr. Falcon back in the late 70s and early 80s. :cool: Hell, I still have one of his old 72mhz Futaba radios and the servos as well.

"50m distance from people (or building) not under your control"
Iv'e never clearly understood this. Does this mean horizontally? or can it mean above as well ie as long as you are 50m above.
I just don't know if its a rule relating to privacy or safety

pugnacious said:
"50m distance from people (or building) not under your control"
Iv'e never clearly understood this. Does this mean horizontally? or can it mean above as well ie as long as you are 50m above.
I just don't know if its a rule relating to privacy or safety

You operate in 3 dimensions. It theoretically applies to all 3. It could be 150' vertically, or horizontally or any point in-between. You could use a Pythagorean calculator to give you an idea of altitude or distance required from an object to comply with the legislation.

Bmews

I personally believe that flying around crowds is a bad idea. This invites regulation, but more importantly, it would be absolutely horrible if something were to go wrong, the quad dropped from the sky, and landed on someone causing serious injury. We should be doing everything we can to demonstrate safe usage of our hobby as it will reduce the need for regulation, negative press and potential injury.

JustForFun said:
I understand it. Clearly I'm in the wrong here. I'll just never fly near people again...

Part of the appeal of a drone vs an "old school RC" is the camera. If you're never flying near people, you stand zero chance of capturing the awesome reactions people have to these things. I've met very few people while flying who didn't absolutely love the thing and ask where to buy one. DJI should be cutting me finders fee checks by now...

Anyways, I bought my drone for many reasons, but I've of those reasons is to see the reaction it brings. Purple really love it and I love the resulting nerdy tech conversations that ensue...

Several pages of comments, but I'll add my own. People don't care unless you make them care.

You made them care. They don't like it.

People have seen story after story about 'drones', many of them related to police activities. People aren't happy with that, but they can't do anything about it. However you and I, they can do something about. And they will if you make them care.

BigTulsa said:
Why? Because typically the R/C helis and the like are put together and flown by serious hobbyists who have to build them and have AMA memberships and memberships to local clubs which have charters. They don't go out flying their R/C helis above crowds. They self-police for the most part.

What has happened is that with the advent of the RTF quadcopters that are easy to fly, it gives everyone a chance to own one without really even studying how to properly use it. Even RTF helicopters aren't easy to fly because most don't have GPS stabilization like these do that allows someone with zero experience flying RC to jump right in. You have to take lessons to understand how to fly both RC airplanes and RC helis to understand the flight physics of both.

I'm glad it expands the base of the hobby, but it's doing so at a cost. Please educate yourself when purchasing one of these things if you're a first time RC pilot.

Very well put. I have been saying this all along and completely agree with you on this.

Why fly over a crowd? good way to cause more restrictions. Would you have the same reaction should you have a malfunction & it drops into a crowd? I recently flew outside a amusement parks property, security came over with the complaintant stating I was bothering them, ended quickly when I showed the photos & security clearly could see I never crossed into their property, over their patrons or remotely near anyone. Did I need to show proof? No I didn't, but being a responsible flyer I wanted to defuse the situation. Security looked at the other party, stated he's not doing anything wrong and has every right to be here.
My philosophy is "An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure"

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl