Attitude mode question

I'm not sure I understand your question, Atti mode is simply manual flying (no GPS) so the AC will need to be manually flown to correct for wind causing drifting, it has nothing to do with the quality of photography/video.

Typo there. I don't know where the "another" came from. I meant "smoother video". The reason I ask is that in attitude mode, the drone will coast along when the controls are released whereas in GPS mode, it will stop somewhat abruptly. I'm just wondering if it is better to fly in attitude mode to allow more natural motion when, for example, changing directions or slowing down.

Typo there. I don't know where the "another" came from. I meant "smoother video". The reason I ask is that in attitude mode, the drone will coast along when the controls are released whereas in GPS mode, it will stop somewhat abruptly. I'm just wondering if it is better to fly in attitude mode to allow more natural motion when, for example, changing directions or slowing down.
I don't think there's any benefit flying in ATTI mode for smoother video, other than braking, the controls will remain the same and you can adjust braking speed in the app. Some pilots turn down the braking speed from the default 100% to help minimize the possibility of stress cracks at the motors but typically that's only a concern when ur flying aggressively which normally you arent doing when shooting video.

ATTI mode is something that makes a lot folks very nervous, and one reason for this is the fact that most folks experience it for the first time due to GPS signal loss, or as a result of compass errors, and when this occurs, it catches them greatly by surprise. As such, it is a mode that should be selected and practiced each flying session, if only for a little bit.

When you are comfortable with ATTI mode, it certainly can be used to capture smooth video as the copter 'coasts' with the wind, or simply 'coasts' in the direction that you last sent it. In these cases, all you have to think about controlling are the copter's Yaw and camera tilt.

I do mostly still photos with my old P4 (original) now, but one interesting effect is to fly the copter sideways directly into a stiff headwind (of maybe 15-20 kts), and then come off the controls and let it glide slowly to a stop followed by it smoothly transitioning to the opposite direction due to the wind. It's a subtle effect, and it always looks better using ATTI versus P or S modes, but you have to be comfortable with it for sure.

That's what I was thinking. I have been practicing in atti mode a bunch to be safe in the event that I lose GPS. I'm comfortable with it now. I hadn't thought of flying sideways into the wind, letting it coast to a stop and reverse direction. That's a great idea. I'll give it a go. Thanks for the advice.

Reactions: Brockrock

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj