Attention: We will have to EXTERNALLY mark all aircraft with Reg #

BigAl07

Administrator
Staff Member
Premium Pilot
Reaction score
20190212_232436.jpg

Reactions: MotorCycle-Man
Dumb me, I thought it already was the rule.

Someone really had me convinced over a year ago that this was the deal and ive been telling any new drone friends ever since to mark em up. Preparation doesnt hurt, I guess I did well.

Edit: P.S. I always put little American Flag stickers next to my reg numbers so friendlies can identify me [emoji4]

No longer will we be allowed to utilize a "Battery Compartment" or anything as a way to "hide" Reg #.

New FAA Registration Marking Rule

FAA will require drones to display registration numbers externally

If you want to read the actual rule itself here's a link to it. It's not yet filed in the Federal Registry but it will be this time tomorrow night..
https://s3.amazonaws.com/public-inspection.federalregister.gov/2019-00765.pdf
OK SO DO WE WRITE IT ON THE DRONE?; IF SO WHERE? HOW BIG SHOULD THE LETTERS BE?

Good ol'USA ....

It's funny actually ... years ago when I was in SMAE (UK) - the subject of marking models with name / address or at least contact phone was discussed. Of course in those days we were not flying Multi-Rotors as common today. It was basically fixed wing and early Heli's.
The general comment then was :

I don't want anyone calling me and telling me what damage its done !!

I know today it sounds terrible - but in those days it really was a very rare event indeed to have any thought of 3rd party incident ! Yes we had 3rd party Insurance ... but that was all.

OK SO DO WE WRITE IT ON THE DRONE?; IF SO WHERE? HOW BIG SHOULD THE LETTERS BE?

Written, printed label, painted, etched etc it does not state the method of placing the #'s.

Outside of your aircraft and easily visible without having the handle/disassemble/open anything up.

They have not mandated any size requirements at this time. It just has to be external and easily visible upon inspection without having to open anything.

Reactions: captainmilehigh
Something like this is perfectly fine. Easily readable from just standing near the AC. On my phantom, I have it in the front middle center point. Used the same label that is in the photo below.
20190212_210045.jpg

The justification is the possibility of a bomb in the model that is triggered when the battery is removed. Has that ever happened before? I don’t remember that in the news.

The justification is the possibility of a bomb in the model that is triggered when the battery is removed. Has that ever happened before? I don’t remember that in the news.

Doesn't matter that it's never happened before. Emergency Services expressed a concern and the FAA addressed it. It should have never been allowed to be "tucked away inside" to begin with. Someone got their pocket padded getting that silly one through from the get to.

Reactions: N017RW
I know a lot of you have already seen or purchased our FAA Decals, but here they are again Aerial-Pixel FAA Decals.
In addition to the 8 decals shown below we now include two 1.75" decals for the smaller aircraft like the Mavic Air and Spark.
Available in 7 different colors.

Is this a world wide roll out,,still nothing in emails from airshare for CAA on this side of world or is it coming,,mine named and addressed and my phone contact but that it,,is that all that required ??.

An FAA website says this:
"As the global leader in aviation, the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) must engage internationally to increase global safety standards and enhance aviation safety and efficiency. "

It seems they have influence worldwide... so it's possible others will follow.

No longer will we be allowed to utilize a "Battery Compartment" or anything as a way to "hide" Reg #.

New FAA Registration Marking Rule

FAA will require drones to display registration numbers externally

If you want to read the actual rule itself here's a link to it. It's not yet filed in the Federal Registry but it will be this time tomorrow night..
https://s3.amazonaws.com/public-inspection.federalregister.gov/2019-00765.pdf

Down here in Oz it has to be a flame proof label.
I use a dog tag.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic