ATC

TimmyG94 said:
PhantomFanatic said:
My understanding is no, if you aren't near an airport. If you are AT an airport, don't fly. If you are near an airport, there is a maximum ceiling. Our abide by rule is 400' max altitude everywhere. Within a few miles of an airport, I believe it is 200', but I'm not certain.

I can't wait to see a federal law saying it's illegal for a little 25 gram Hubsan X4 to fly within 3 miles of an airport because of collision threat with a manned aircraft.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

It wouldn't surprise me!

You contact the Tower or airport manager and tell them, Pursuant to PUBLIC LAW 112–95, SEC. 336. SPECIAL RULE FOR MODEL AIRCRAFT, (a)(5) "when flown within 5 miles of an airport, the operator of the aircraft provides the airport operator and the airport air traffic control tower (when an air traffic facility is located at the airport) with prior notice of the operation ..."

It says nothing about permission - just notification.

They will want to know exactly where, when your operations begin and end and how high. The airport manager or tower will issue a NOTAM to alert manned aircraft pilots operating in that airport that there will be model aircraft operations X miles west (whatever you tell the manager) below 400 ft AGL.

SteveMann said:
You contact the Tower or airport manager and tell them, Pursuant to PUBLIC LAW 112–95, SEC. 336. SPECIAL RULE FOR MODEL AIRCRAFT, (a)(5) "when flown within 5 miles of an airport, the operator of the aircraft provides the airport operator and the airport air traffic control tower (when an air traffic facility is located at the airport) with prior notice of the operation ..."

It says nothing about permission - just notification.

FAA said in their "clarification" that if the ATC facility or airport owner asks ou not to fly that if you do anyhow you will be considered to be endangering the NAS.

Finally, the statute sets a requirement for model aircraft operating within 5 miles of an airport to notify the airport operator and control tower, where applicable, prior to operating. If the model aircraft operator provides notice of forthcoming operations which are then not authorized by air traffic or objected to by the airport operator, the FAA expects the model aircraft operator will not conduct the proposed flights. The FAA would consider flying model aircraft over the objections of FAA air traffic or airport operators to be endangering the safety of the NAS. Additionally, we note that following this 5-mile notification procedure would be read in conjunction with FAA rules governing airspace usage discussed below

They will want to know exactly where, when your operations begin and end and how high. The airport manager or tower will issue a NOTAM to alert manned aircraft pilots operating in that airport that there will be model aircraft operations X miles west (whatever you tell the manager) below 400 ft AGL.

I would not bet my life on them issuing a NOTAM. Not saying they won't, but I'd be surprised if they did.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
intertronixlabel