Argtek extender

Mine were right length ... just enough so I could lay nicely - but short enough so no bends or loops.

What I did find was they were each different length basically designed for each position !

Very happy with it.

Nigel

Reactions: BigR1979
Mine were right length ... just enough so I could lay nicely - but short enough so no bends or loops.

What I did find was they were each different length basically designed for each position !

Very happy with it.

Nigel

Thanks, my 5.8ghz has a bit more slack but my 2 x 2.4ghz cables are pulled tight like a tightrope/washing line lol but the connectors did click firmly into place and I have hot glued so fingers crossed all will be ok. I will have to report back here once I have tested although I have been using a windsurfer up to now and my personal longest distance is 1970m with that which I was amazed at. That was under perfect conditions though and normally my range drops between 500m and 1400m dependant on where I am flying. To be honest as long as the argtek is no worse range than I have had previously I won't be complaining.

Dbs mods Itelite works better unboosted.
No so, many people add amps to their DBS for good reason, an amplifier is going to increase your range with any antenna system. I have some on mine and went from 2500 meters over 4000 metres by adding amps.

Sent from my HTC 10 using PhantomPilots mobile app

Last edited:
Any antenna system needs a good LOS to function properly. But logically a better antenna system will produce better results.

Sent from my HTC 10 using PhantomPilots mobile app

The problem we have here though is Ghz frequency - which relies on LoS ... it is badly affected by any obstruction even a chain link fence.
The old days of AM / FM Mhz radios were better for range and not being so dependent on LoS clear view.

We add to it of course by using directional antenna to gain maximum range.

Nigel

Thanks, my 5.8ghz has a bit more slack but my 2 x 2.4ghz cables are pulled tight like a tightrope/washing line lol but the connectors did click firmly into place and I have hot glued so fingers crossed all will be ok. I will have to report back here once I have tested although I have been using a windsurfer up to now and my personal longest distance is 1970m with that which I was amazed at. That was under perfect conditions though and normally my range drops between 500m and 1400m dependant on where I am flying. To be honest as long as the argtek is no worse range than I have had previously I won't be complaining.

I was getting reasonable distance stock and with Windsurfer ... but only on Control ... the WiFi Video was crapping out at anything from 10m to 100m ... very intermittent.
With the Argtec - I was looking to get the WiFi Video part improved to stay good at the control range. That I have achieved and with 2km range on both - I'm very happy with the Argtec.

Nigel

Reactions: BigR1979
Just tried a distance run with Argtek and Magic power and got 1894M before RTH, the last best I have had at that location with windsurfer was 1400M so a definate improvement, if only marginal.

Obviously I had to hold controller in exact steady directional position to achieve this. Also in other directions distance nowhere near as good (just over 400m), just depends on obstructions and inteference as per usual but on the whole very happy with things now for something that has 500m max range in ideal conditions advertised on the box.

My idea to fit Argtec - was to get the video more stable and reliable. Prior to Argtec - control was good but video get breaking off at silly short distance. The Argtec has achieved exactly what I wanted ... stable reliable video link out to over 1km. As video uploaded previously - I know I have over 2km range with Argtec ... but its not needed by me.

I could have spent more on the DBS - but for what ? The Argtec needs no drilling ... fits as is ... and gives improved signal lock. All for $40 !!

Nigel

Reactions: Electro32
What am I doing wrong install argtek and power mod and only got 3000 ft what could the issue be help pls

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What am I doing wrong install argtek and power mod and only got 3000 ft what could the issue be help pls

3000ft is good distance, in addition it is not easy to determine if there is an issue without information on when, where and how you are flying your quad. Weather, wifi interference, line of sight, antenna alignment, and a handful of other factors can impact distance.

It wasn't bad the weather was very overcasted and I was flying straight out over the lake it was first attempt with it

I went from 1200ft stock to 2600ft with the argtek...ive only done the test at my house and I live on a mountain.....

Does the weather effect distance

Yes most certainly.

Rain / moisture / high pressure / low pressure ... they all affect RF propagation ... even night vs day gives different E and F layers to the atmosphere and affect RF (OK - this is more to do with long range comms - but still fact).

Nigel

Installed my argtek last night . With the omnis only 686 ft lost wifi . With 10 Dbi Omni two flat panels 1534 ft . Lost signal RTH . All 3 flat panels 1000 ft lost all signal RTH initiated. I thought something has to be wrong . Tore the remote apart checked everything again . Made sure all connections were good . Ran again with similar results. Woke up this morning tore the remote apart again and triple checked everything. Flew today at lunch with omnis 2053 feet in town initiated RTH . 1 Omni 2 flats 1716 ft . All flats 800 ft . I was expecting way better than this . Any suggestions?

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Installed my argtek last night . With the omnis only 686 ft lost wifi . With 10 Dbi Omni two flat panels 1534 ft . Lost signal RTH . All 3 flat panels 1000 ft lost all signal RTH initiated. I thought something has to be wrong . Tore the remote apart checked everything again . Made sure all connections were good . Ran again with similar results. Woke up this morning tore the remote apart again and triple checked everything. Flew today at lunch with omnis 2053 feet in town initiated RTH . 1 Omni 2 flats 1716 ft . All flats 800 ft . I was expecting way better than this . Any suggestions?

What did you get stock?

Is there a reason that when modifying the remote you have to remove the connectors from the Antenna instead of cutting and splicing in wire from new antenna?

The antenna connection isn't just a wire that can be spliced. It is a tiny coax cable, with a center conductor embedded inside a cylindrical shield that is less than 2 mm in diameter. It would be practically impossible for the average guy to splice that cable correctly, without special equipment and a magnifying glass. Theoretically, you could kludge a connection by stripping the shield and soldering the center conductors and the shields separately. The antenna would actually work,, sorta, but you will certainly have degraded the VSWR and created higher cable loss, which will significantly degrade performance of that new high gain antenna you just installed. At microwave frequencies, the cable acts very much like a waveguide and the geometry of center conductor to the cylindrical shield is important. So it's counterproductive to splice. For $4, just buy a new cable of the proper length and save yourself a lot of grief. It's a no-brainer.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Helen Y West