Area covered from 400’ up?

Reaction score
Can someone tell me the approximate area the camera can “see” (looking straight down) from 400’ up?

Thanks

This question has been asked here before and these links should help you. You may find some more if you use the search facility here (magnifying glass, top right). For the calculations, the basic Phantom 4 has a field of view (FOV) of 94 degrees - whilst the P4 Pro has a FOV of 84 degrees I believe.

Using a Field of View (FOV) calculator from CCTV days the following information should give you some idea of the area you would see from 400'.
A Phantom 3A camera has a 2/3" sensor and a focal length of 20mm, so from 400' you should see an area of approx. 110' on the vertical axis and 150' on the horizontal axis.
A Phantom 4 camera has a 1" sensor and a focal length of 20mm, so from 400' you should see an area of approx. 165' on the vertical axis and 220' on the horizontal axis.
Hope that is useful.

Can someone tell me the approximate area the camera can “see” (looking straight down) from 400’ up?
The previous two answers aren't much help and neither gives the correct answer

If you were asking about the original Phantom 4
The area covered at 400 ft =
640 x 480 ft = 7 acres

If you are asking about the Phantom 4 pro
600 x 400 ft = 5.5 acres

Last edited:
Reactions: P-2

Thanks
The field of view would depend on the focal length of the lens and the dimensions of the sensor in the drone. If you could provide that information it would be easier for someone to help you. I have a P4P V2 for which I calculated the field of view using the FOV Calculator mentioned in this thread. It confirms Meta4's information for the P4P. I am including a capture of the calculator with the data entered for the P4P and have used 100 feet as the primary distance and 400 feet as the secondary calculation. Hope this helps. Note that I mislabeled the sensor size as lens dimensions. It is the sensor dimensions as indicated on the chart.

Attachments

• P4P field of view.jpg
    P4P field of view.jpg
    402.5 KB · Views: 220
Ok I think nobody should awnser any question around here cause mr meta seems to know everything so let him speak,,send all your questions to him cause we all not matter by his reply,,well they were trying g to help but still wrong,,the president has spoken,,this why I dont coment on much anymore,,,its learning but when your shot down all the time why the hell bother,,I wonded where everyone went

Ok I think nobody should awnser any question around here cause mr meta seems to know everything so let him speak,,send all your questions to him cause we all not matter by his reply,,well they were trying g to help but still wrong,,the president has spoken,,this why I dont coment on much anymore,,,its learning but when your shot down all the time why the hell bother,,I wonded where everyone went
I don't believe anyone is "shooting anyone down". As you mentioned, it's about helping others. Where the disappointment comes in is when some people respond wanting to help but they really don't know. People ask questions in a forum to get help and learn. How can that happen when you have those who answer without even bothering to research the topic so they have the knowledge to help. For instance, I posted a question about P4P batteries from a 3rd party vendor. I only got one reply and it was a rant that didn't make any sense at all and had nothing to do with my question. It was a complete waste of time for me to read it, It must also have been a waste of time for the responder to sit down and write it. I just wish I had that much time on my hands to waste everyone's time with my senseless rants. Correcting wrong information is not shooting down for the sake of shooting down. It is simply someone who knows what he is talking about correcting the wrong information being disseminated. That in itself should be considered a learning experience. I do a lot of reading here but little responding to questions because I know there are a lot more people on here who know a lot more than I do. So I just read and learn, rather that trying to impress others with inaccurate information.

It is my opinion that forums such as this lose more members due to the senseless rants and offers of misinformation than they do by those knowledgeable members making sure the information posted is accurate. I am very grateful there are people who are willing to take the time and share their knowledge with others freely. Thank you all. Just my feelings and remember, if you correct a genius, he will thank you. If you correct an imbecile, he will criticize you. Think about it. In which category to you place yourself? Just remember, people get to be knowledgeable by spending valuable time learning about something. They don't waste their time with senseless rants or shooting people down for the hell of it. They have much more important things to do with their valuable time.

Last edited:
I don't believe anyone is "shooting anyone down". As you mentioned, it's about helping others. Where the disappointment comes in is when some people respond wanting to help but they really don't know. People ask questions in a forum to get help and learn. How can that happen when you have those who answer without even bothering to research the topic so they have the knowledge to help. For instance, I posted a question about P4P batteries from a 3rd party vendor. I only got one reply and it was a rant that didn't make any sense at all and had nothing to do with my question. It was a complete waste of time for me to read it, It must also have been a waste of time for the responder to sit down and write it. I just wish I had that much time on my hands to waste everyone's time with my senseless rants. Correcting wrong information is not shooting down for the sake of shooting down. It is simply someone who knows what he is talking about correcting the wrong information being disseminated. That in itself should be considered a learning experience. I do a lot of reading here but little responding to questions because I know there are a lot more people on here who know a lot more than I do. So I just read and learn, rather that trying to impress others with inaccurate information.

It is my opinion that forums such as this lose more members due to the senseless rants and offers of misinformation than they do by those knowledgeable members making sure the information posted is accurate. I am very grateful there are people who are willing to take the time and share their knowledge with others freely. Thank you all. Just my feelings and remember, if you correct a genius, he will thank you. If you correct an imbecile, he will criticize you. Think about it. In which category to you place yourself? Just remember, people get to be knowledgeable by spending valuable time learning about something. They don't waste their time with senseless rants or shooting people down for the hell of it. They have much more important things to do with their valuable time.
Ok understand,,was pissed when I read your reply but see your right,,I'm just crazy,,I was ready to chuck it all in,on some pretty heavy meds and definitely not thinking normal,cant fly drugged so I'm pissed off but not ranting,you will know,much respect to all here from asking to the reply part,,@Meta4 is a clever bugger so it's just bit odd he leaves a lot hanging while we play guessing games,,ay it's not a first and I bite my tongue on that,must thank y @Phantomwolf and you meta ,more input ay less popcorn

I would like to add a correction to my original comment about the dimensions of the area seen by the Phantom 3A and 4 Pro cameras at 400'. My calculations were based on a focal length of 20mm, however this is incorrect as this figure is the '35mm equivalent' as I now understand it. The actual focal length of the 4P is 8.8mm as indicated in the only reference I could find in a DJI site. So revisiting those calculations for a 1" sensor and 8.8mm FL the vertical axis is approx. 380' and the horizontal is approx. 510'. I am not able to find the actual focal length for the 2/3" P3A camera but if it is 8.8mm as well then the area seen from 400' would be approx. 260' on the vertical axis and 350' for the horizontal axis.

So revisiting those calculations for a 1" sensor and 8.8mm FL the vertical axis is approx. 380' and the horizontal is approx. 510'.
Sorry to do this but...
The sensor of the P4 pro is 3:2 image format
I am not able to find the actual focal length for the 2/3" P3A camera but if it is 8.8mm as well then the area seen from 400' would be approx. 260' on the vertical axis and 350' for the horizontal axis.
And the P3 pro lens focal length is 3.61 mm.

I would like to add a correction to my original comment about the dimensions of the area seen by the Phantom 3A and 4 Pro cameras at 400'. My calculations were based on a focal length of 20mm, however this is incorrect as this figure is the '35mm equivalent' as I now understand it. The actual focal length of the 4P is 8.8mm as indicated in the only reference I could find in a DJI site. So revisiting those calculations for a 1" sensor and 8.8mm FL the vertical axis is approx. 380' and the horizontal is approx. 510'. I am not able to find the actual focal length for the 2/3" P3A camera but if it is 8.8mm as well then the area seen from 400' would be approx. 260' on the vertical axis and 350' for the horizontal axis.
A search for 'dji drone sensor sizes' came up with this site. I cannot say whether it is accurate because I really don't know. I would say it is a good starting place. DJI Drone Sensor Size Comparison Page — DJZ Photography - Real Estate Photographer, Grand Rapids, MI

The previous two answers aren't much help and neither gives the correct answer

If you were asking about the original Phantom 4
The area covered at 400 ft =
640 x 480 ft = 7 acres

If you are asking about the Phantom 4 pro
600 x 400 ft = 5.5 acres
EXCELLENT answer. Even an old fart like me can understand????

Notwithstanding any of the considered answers above, here's a way to figure it out (I THINK)...
note I am making this up as I go and have not tried it.

find a sheet of graph paper.
decide on a scale - maybe 1 square = 20 feet - whatever works for you
mark a spot near the top of the paper that represents the phantom in the air.
draw a horizontal line on the sheet that represents the ground, 400 feet away
find a protractor
draw a 94 degree angle starting from the drone, down to the horizontal line
measure the distance between the two points on the "ground" that you just drew.
that should be the horizontal axis FOV
now divide that number by 16 and multiply by 9.
that should be the vertical axis FOV

Reactions: Topcat29
Just for grins, I took my P4PV2 up to 400 feet on a big empty lined parking lot on T-Day.
Camera pointed straight down. Lined up the screen with one corner at the intersection, took the photo. Compared the photo with a google earth view and measured the distance. Within my margin of error, Meta4 is right on with his 400ft x 600ft field of view.
Just my 2 cents. Next time I have the chance, I'll do the same thing with my Mavic 2 Pro.

What I DONT understand is DJI states on it's website specs:
Phantom 4 pro still photo is 3648 x 5472 pixels. FOV of 84 degrees and a 24mm equiv to 35mm film
Mavic 2 pro still photo is 3648 by 5472 pixels. FOV of 77 degrees and a 28mm equiv. Somebody smarter than me PLEASE explain how this is possible.

Reactions: Meta4
What I DONT understand is DJI states on it's website specs:
Phantom 4 pro still photo is 3648 x 5472 pixels. FOV of 84 degrees and a 24mm equiv to 35mm film
Mavic 2 pro still photo is 3648 by 5472 pixels. FOV of 77 degrees and a 28mm equiv. Somebody smarter than me PLEASE explain how this is possible.
I'm not sure what needs explanation there.
Both cameras have the same sensor size but they have different lenses with different viewing angles.
So the P4 pro captures an image of a larger land area than the Mavic pro 2 does.

Thanks, Meta. Had to go back and think of my canon camera. Of course, the sensors are the same, I was thinking the lenses were the same, also. Must have been way too late at night, foggy brain.

Oh, btw, do you happen to already know the ground area the Mavic2Pro would cover from 400' AGL? Would it be around 365x550?

Some time ago I made dis:

Ph4 is somewhere inbetween.

Though not sure how DJI counts FOV.. is it the distance between opposite corner pixels, or distance between the max left and max right on central line?

Some time ago I made dis:

Ph4 is somewhere inbetween.

Though not sure how DJI counts FOV.. is it the distance between opposite corner pixels, or distance between the max left and max right on central line?
The standard way that all camera makers express the field of view of a lens is the diagonal angle.

Reactions: quaddamage

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BobDan