Are altitude limited zones a hard limit?

Reaction score
If an abandoned grain elevator is 150’ tall but located inside a 100’ altitude limited zone can I fly maximum 100’ AGL, 150’ AGL or 250’ AGL within 400’ of the elevator?

Just to be clear, can I correctly assume that you are in controlled airspace where the Facilities Map shows you are in a 100 foot max altitude grid square? If so then you must be a Part 107 licensed pilot, you must get LAANC authorization prior to flying there, and NO you cannot exceed 100 feet under any circumstances unless you apply and receive authorization for a higher altitude. The authorized altitude in controlled airspace is a hard limit...do not exceed under any circumstances other than a life and death emergency.

Just to clarify and this is not to say you should do it :

There are two altitude limiters for us :

1. Set into the FW that if it determines by GPS you are within airspace near airport etc. - it will not allow your drone to rise above the set limit
2. The Aviation rules for a location as previous reply explains.

You can of course choose to ignore and exceed #2 ... but be ready to be seriously penalised for it ! To exceed #1 - that needs you to understand how it determines that height .... if you want to fly 150ft but the location forces FW to cap your ascent to 100ft .... you need to launch from a position that is at least 50ft higher ... so your zero is at that +50 mark. Because it uses Barometric pressure change to determine height.

As I said - just to mention and in no way to suggest you do it.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cgarner1