Are 360˚ Cameras the future of Flying Cameras?

Reaction score
There is such a great collection of 360˚ Videos on YouTube that seem to be growing by the minute.

Viewed on your Smart Phone with use of the gyroscope and accelerometer, these videos really capture the experience.

Here's a great example :

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Spherical cameras are popping up on Kickstarter now : https://www.kickstarter.com/project...60o-video-camera-for-virtual-r?ref=nav_search

Will these 360˚ cameras be the future of aerial photography?

Reactions: BlackOpsTeamster
Quick answer would be 'Yes' I think.

Like most tech, the 360 camera will drop in price/weight and become so hi res that you will be able to pull acceptable frames from any aspect/angle of video after the flight.

A

There is such a great collection of 360˚ Videos on YouTube that seem to be growing by the minute.

Viewed on your Smart Phone with use of the gyroscope and accelerometer, these videos really capture the experience.

Here's a great example :

Spherical cameras are popping up on Kickstarter now : https://www.kickstarter.com/project...60o-video-camera-for-virtual-r?ref=nav_search

Will these 360˚ cameras be the future of aerial photography?

What a coincidence that you bring this up. Last night I just stumbled on what GoPro has up there sleeve regarding 360 cams. They use a 6 cam mount. I can't afford ONE GoPro let alone 6.. LOL
But like gingerbloke said, as with all new technology the price will eventually come down. It's all pretty cool stuff!
Here's the link:
http://petapixel.com/2015/05/28/gopro-camera-drone-will-be-released-in-2016/
Another interesting article on it
http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2015/01/giroptic-youtube-announces.html
BOT

Last edited:
And as you can see, not all that great given the viewing area.
What you need to see the output with, is a 360 degree monitor.
Now my idea, is to use more cameras.
With today's technology, all you would need are several lenses which are controlled by software.
Instead of panning the camera or turning the bird, just cut to another lens.
6 cameras would give you enough field of view to cover 360 easily.

And as you can see, not all that great given the viewing area.
What you need to see the output with, is a 360 degree monitor.
Now my idea, is to use more cameras.
With today's technology, all you would need are several lenses which are controlled by software.
Instead of panning the camera or turning the bird, just cut to another lens.
6 cameras would give you enough field of view to cover 360 easily.

Yes, Spherical cameras utilize 6 camera lenses and are stitched together automatically to capture full 360˚ video.

Ricoh Theta is pretty cheap already, the "Panono" will be a nice mod to add to the bottom of quads.

While there was a future with flash, I used to do spherical video, inside a flash viewer. The video was 360 and the viewer moved around the scene. Was way to large and resource intensive for machines let alone the web at the time. Now that HTML 5 is taking over many flash utilities it is no longer a viable concept. Things may change..

Have a look at PROPER 360 video... let it run till after her introduction... then click on the 360 degree link on the left. It still blows my mind. We were using Grey Point cameras.

http://www.ikea.com/ms/en_GB/rooms_ideas/small_spaces/index.html

Last edited:
Samsung has the Project Beyond 3D 360 in conjunction with the Samsung Gear VR headset.
The 3D and the head tracking is mind blowing. It makes you believe that you are there.
www.youtube.com/watch?v=FnBIvq8jzds

I have seen a 360 vid done with an octo copter. I cant find the link though.

Check this thread
Kodak SP360 | DJI Phantom Forum

No gimbal.. but it looks the image stabilisation is assisting somehow...

The sample video looks terrible. It's like taking off your glasses and looking at a ton of blurriness everywhere. To get a sharp image, you need massive amount of pixels, which is why people join 6 or even 24(!!!) Gopros together to get good image all around. Very expensive.

Anyway, it's a gimmick that works for a few specific shots.

Videos are by their nature a creative endeavor. Videoing 360 degrees is basically the equivalent of "spray and pray". You video every boring thing from every angle, hoping to capture something decent. It's a massive waste of time and hard drive space.

It will never be used extensively, but it will always be used for a handful of creative shots. When a daredevil makes a parachute jump from outer space, it's a good idea. When you do a bungee jump, it's a good idea. There are going to be some VR tie-ins for flying video experience. But it's a very specific tool - which ends up working only for very specific applications.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31