Anyone tries the fpvlr extenders?

Reaction score
I'm just getting into customizing them (myP3P) I had the first one and trained myself for a while. Now that I hear this can extend the range and help with signal to travel more through obstacles, I want it. But $325 for it? Is it possible to diy??

I did some tests on the stock remote on my own. Because I was thinking about getting an extender. In my neighborhood, max distance with houses and trees was 2800 feet. Yesterday, I took mine to a park with open line of site and tested distance. I got 16,6240 feet before the weak signal appeared. I could of pushed it more. That was 72% battery. So, that's a total of 3.12 miles. When I landed, I had 2:15 left on the battery. That was with a 12 MPH wind on return. So, I figured I'd never need to fly in obstructed areas to warrant more than 2800 feet. Open line of site, I don't see going much beyond what I did at 3.12 miles. Any more would be risking a premature land because of battery life. So it wasn't worth it to me to add an extra mile with an extender. Some say 4 miles with an extender, much more with an amplifier. Battery life is the key, not distance. Have you tried to see how far yours will go from an open field with no obstruction? I took mine up to 250 feet for my test flight and had two yellow bars left on my transmitter when I stopped at 16,624 feet. Stock, it works just fine. To me, this is amazing.

Reactions: witeboy07
I'll test it. Before I buy this. I did get better distances when at the park. But the con's is the many mixed signals from living in a city.

I'll test it. Before I buy this. I did get better distances when at the park. But the con's is the many mixed signals from living in a city.
go into transmitter settings. Put it in manual mode. Set it to 4 mb/s on the slider and pick the channel with the lowest bar. Mine was channel 20.

I ordered mine. It's coming in a few days. Here's another way to think about justifying the price: it's insurance. With an amplified signal, you are insuring that you will probably never go out of range and require a RTH based on RC signal loss. Plus, you will be able to handle interference from home networks and obstacles better, even if you are not going for the long distance flight record. For me, this means peace of mind allowing me to fly without worrying as much where I go about losing the ONLY live video signal on the bird. Imagine you go out a mile and dip down a little too low with the stock setup and you not only lose RC but you lose video feed. Your bird goes into RTH but accidentally clips a tree on the way up. Now, it's lost in the water or forest. Oh well, should of got that range extender. The one big disadvantage is that if you drill into your remote control, then you void your DJI warranty. So, I'm trying to come up with a plan to install the kit without drilling into the controller. Stay tuned...

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj