Anyone replaced their gimbal yaw arm?

Reaction score
My drone dropped about 5 feet and lost the gimbal yaw arm and the ribbon cable.

I ordered the replacement and watched the video. Seems like a longer process but not really complicated.

Anyone have any tips?

The most important thing I find is to stay organized. Use an ice cube tray or similar to group each part and fasteners as you remove them.

The second time is much faster :D

9 times out of 10, the yaw motor sensors are damaged. When you get done, if the camera won't point straight ahead, the sensors are bad. Do not trow away the old motor. You will need the casing. The is a special procedure for fixing it. Go to YouTube and look up droneted

My drone dropped about 5 feet and lost the gimbal yaw arm and the ribbon cable.

I ordered the replacement and watched the video. Seems like a longer process but not really complicated.

Anyone have any tips?

Hi,
I had an accident and after it happened the gimble would wobble back and forth. I knew it had to be mechanical so did a search and found that it had bent the yaw arm. I have a phantom 4 and found several places on the web that sold replacements, but was not sure if the yaw arm replacement would work for a standard P4 (not the newer model), and bought one specifically for the phantom 4 only on Amazon. There is an awesome video on youtube with step-by-step instructions
on removing and replacing the yaw arm and today I will get my replacement and follow the video to try and fix my phantom... and will respond back later to let everyone know how it turned out.

BTW - when using waypoints with Litchi... be sure to switch it OFF when bringing your drone back to you under a tree, otherwise once you take you hand off the controller, it WILL immediately go back into waypoints and it WILL fly into the tree you brought it under! :)

This video shows how to replace the yaw arm for the phantom 4 pro... I did not buy mine from this site, but from Amazon, which clearly stated it was for a phantom 4 ONLY... evidently there is confusion on this point and the above site, which advertises the replacement part would not respond to my query to check if it would work on my phantom 4, so screw 'em and went with a direct statement it would work on mine. Do your do-diligence, cuz after all it is all about money in the end...

The most important thing I find is to stay organized. Use an ice cube tray or similar to group each part and fasteners as you remove them.

The second time is much faster :D
exactly, your spot on! Those little screws get lost on the floor once you drop them. I normally get a big fat white napkin on a TV tray, just for that reason.

9 times out of 10, the yaw motor sensors are damaged. When you get done, if the camera won't point straight ahead, the sensors are bad. Do not trow away the old motor. You will need the casing. The is a special procedure for fixing it. Go to YouTube and look up droneted

droneted??? Anyway you could be a bit more specific? Come on...don't be lazy

Go to youtube and look up droneted. I have a video that explains this. here is a link:
If you have any questions just ask. I would be glad to help.
The yaw motor is controlled by an ESC board on the back of the yaw arm. The yaw motor has 2 small (tiny) black sensors. You need a jewelers loupe to see the damage on them. The casing jams up against those sensors and makes a scratch across them. The problem is that the casing has magnets that are randomly placed. These magnets work with the sensors to tell the yaw where it is pointing. If damaged the yaw will either point left or right or swing about. You need to use the original casing on the new yaw motor. My video will show you how to do this.
Is that better? LOL I am very old and sometimes I get lazy.

Attachments

• Yaw sensor damage.jpg
    Yaw sensor damage.jpg
    777 KB · Views: 209
Go to youtube and look up droneted. I have a video that explains this. here is a link:
If you have any questions just ask. I would be glad to help.
The yaw motor is controlled by an ESC board on the back of the yaw arm. The yaw motor has 2 small (tiny) black sensors. You need a jewelers loupe to see the damage on them. The casing jams up against those sensors and makes a scratch across them. The problem is that the casing has magnets that are randomly placed. These magnets work with the sensors to tell the yaw where it is pointing. If damaged the yaw will either point left or right or swing about. You need to use the original casing on the new yaw motor. My video will show you how to do this.
Is that better? LOL I am very old and sometimes I get lazy.
I'm pretty certain this isn't on the 4 and 4 pro

Yes, the ice cube tray suggestion for the screws is an excellent one. Those little buggers are very easy to lose. They’re tiny.

Also, make sure you have a high quality Phillips screwdriver that’s the correct size. I stripped out the heads on two screws during disassembly.

Kind of a worthless answer my friend...best to not reply at all...

Actually, it's not. It gives the answer, because this topic has been covered by many people, multiple times. Why would we waste time typing something out when the person asking the question can invest the time for their own question? I wrote an in-depth topic on this, I'm not doing it because this person is lazy as hell.

Ironically, your answer is useless because it contributes literally nothing, yet I have already contributed.

One thing I found out about the search , if your words aren't exact nothing comes up.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4