Anyone installed the v1.04 update to iOSD Mini?

socman said:
I have an early version Phantom and am using it with a go pro and fatshark attitude sd....couple of questions...

1) Do you have to purchase a PMU also to get the iosd to work?
2) Is there any way to record the flight data to the go pro itself? My assumption is no since it is simply an overlay to the go pro feed.
3) I am considering getting a monitor to use instead of the goggles. Any recommendations to use with my current equipment?

1. Not sure-but I have an "early" version, and had to go with a PMU. Are you using the Zenmouse gimbal?
2. No. But, you can record the SD video out of your goggles or a monitor with a DVR set-up. Some monitors have built-in recorders that do this, and also have built-in 5.8Ghz receivers.
3. I can't recommend what I have(it's too dim). Most are 7", with sunshades(a must have). Try and find one with a contrast ratio? of at least 1000:1. All the Chinese one's I see-share the exact same screen-and it's junk. Even with brightness at 100%, it's hard to see.

You can use a Computer Monitor-provided you can power it. I have a Dell 24" LCD monitor, and I can plug the video out(yellow plug), into the Dell monitor, and see through the GP3, with OSD-looks great. But, totally useless in the field without electricity.
I believe the Goggles also have a "video out". So, you could use the Goggles as the receiver, and just pick up a small monitor, and connect the yellow video cable into it.

Funny-I was thinking of switching to Goggles. BUT, I just ordered some Polarizing Antenna's-need to work out my distance situation first. I'd hate to be under Goggles and lose video feed......but eventually I will get the Goggles, and use the monitor at the same time.

no gimbal....which is why I wasnt sure if I needed a PMU or not. I wasnt sure if the PMU was just for the gimbal.

If i use my goggles as the reciever, wont I limit the resolution to what the goggles can do (which is crappy as it is)? One of the benefits of using a monitor I was hoping was for a bigger resolution.

I like flying with the goggles, but have a hard time judging distance with them on...so id like the option to fly with the monitor.

socman said:
no gimbal....which is why I wasnt sure if I needed a PMU or not. I wasnt sure if the PMU was just for the gimbal.

If i use my goggles as the reciever, wont I limit the resolution to what the goggles can do (which is crappy as it is)? One of the benefits of using a monitor I was hoping was for a bigger resolution.

I like flying with the goggles, but have a hard time judging distance with them on...so id like the option to fly with the monitor.
The resolution won't be what your goggles are, but what the monitor supports for a SD/VGA signal. You can try it with your TV, or any other monitor that has a yellow video in port. Just go video out from the goggles to video in to your monitor-make sure you have a signal from the camera-and see what it looks like.

Affordable OSD?

im looking for an affordable OSD. mainly interested in battery voltage reading. but any other extras would be fine too.. and suggestions?

I have both the DJI iOSD ii and the SkyLark Tiny III. If you want everything to fit in the Phantom, go for the SkyLark. If you want data logging, I can recommend the DJI iOSD.

To summarise:

Take note that I'm not mentioning features available to both OSD, only features unique to each OSD.

DJI iOSD ii Pros: Data Logging, Artifical Horizon/Attitude Line, Power voltage (blinks at user specified thresholds), Control mode indicator (ATT, M, GPS), Fail-safe mode indicator (FS, APT, GHome), Pitch attitude, Roll attitude, switchable 2 video inputs, Home indicator, Gimbal Attitude (I can't see it on mine though), Compass error indicator.

SkyLark Tiny OSD ii Pros: Current consumption, mAh consumed, RSSI (you need a compatible receiver, I use a FRSky TFR8SB with my Futaba 14SG TX)

DJI iOSD ii:
11600794336_95d9eaed7c.jpg

SkyLark Tiny OSD iii:
11600255663_fbd6d4a248.jpg

Hi, yes you need the PMU. No, you cannot record the osd data on the GoPro. But With a Flytrex and Dashware you can achieve good results...

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Just an update; I tested the low battery warning(1st level-red light starts to flash), and in the iOSD, the battery symbol also began to flash. So, it appears that this firmware works as advertised.
However, I still have no clue how Azimuth works. The aircraft was pointed away from me, but almost directly in front of me, and slightly high, and it was displaying 267 degree's......from what??

zoochase said:
havasuphoto said:
zoochase said:
Is there a way to change from metric to standard on the iOSD Mini?
No. And, I wish there was. It would be nice to have Feet, for distance and altitude, and Miles Per Hour for speed.......'hint'

Agreed......... HINT HINT
Thanks.
I've already e-mailed DJI customer support.....you might wanna do the same ;)

I did some testing today and it appears that the new Azimuth reading is the magnetic compass bearing (I.e degrees from North) away from the take off point (home return point). Nothing to do with yaw angle or course lock direction.

GaryTapp said:
I did some testing today and it appears that the new Azimuth reading is the magnetic compass bearing (I.e degrees from North) away from the take off point (home return point). Nothing to do with yaw angle or course lock direction.
Does it matter which direction the nose is pointing?

Yay! I installed the mini osd yesterday and did the update without asking a single question here!

It's awesome and thanks for answering the feet vs meter thing. That was something I wondered.

:D

havasuphoto said:
GaryTapp said:

Nope the nose position is irrelevant, it's the compass bearing of the phantom position from the home point.

GaryTapp said:
havasuphoto said:
GaryTapp said:

Nope the nose position is irrelevant, it's the compass bearing of the phantom position from the home point.
Then how can it read 267 degree's, and be almost directly in front of me? 267 degree's from home point would place it to my left almost 90 degree's.

I would fly the phantom 10+ meters away directly north from you and see if you get 0 degrees or a 359 degrees etc Azimuth reading. If your phantom is just in front of you then there's probably not enough accurate GPS info and seperation for the iOSD to calculate an accurate bearing.

GaryTapp said:
I would fly the phantom 10+ meters away directly north from you and see if you get 0 degrees or a 359 degrees etc Azimuth reading. If your phantom is just in front of you then there's probably not enough accurate GPS info and seperation for the iOSD to calculate an accurate bearing.
OK, I'll do that. Have you? And, if it's directly in front of you-does it read 0 degree's?

EDIT: I flew Today 3 times. Each time, when the Phantom was directly in front of me, and more than 30 feet away, it read 267 degree's. This whole Azimuth thing makes no sense at all.
Now, I was facing West, North-West.....but the vector line through my home point, assuming that's the 0 degree line, intersected the aircraft-exactly in front of me, and read 267 degree's. Rotating 360 degree's over that spot made no changes.
I stopped looking at it after that....as it's not really helping me-I'd rather concentrate on the information that does help me.

OK, not sure whats happening your end but I flew mine again yesterday and circled 10+ meters around my position (which was also the take off point and home point) and Azimuth reading did a full 360 and when the phantom was north of me it showed between 355 and 5 degs.

GaryTapp said:
OK, not sure whats happening your end but I flew mine again yesterday and circled 10+ meters around my position (which was also the take off point and home point) and Azimuth reading did a full 360 and when the phantom was north of me it showed between 355 and 5 degs.
Same thing today, around 267 degree's, give or take.
Are you flying, by chance, facing magnetic North?

I did the "compass dance", etc...but am still getting reading in Azimuth that just don't add up to me. The only plausible thing I can think of, is that it's indicating the "course" that my aircraft is on, from Magnetic North.
But-right now, it's a useless feature too me.

On a side note; I received my Circular Polarizing Antenna's, and have yet to lose signal. Before, I would often lose signal after only a couple hundred feet. Today, up to 85 meters, and out 120+ meters, spinning circles, and everything was clear. IMHO, they are a must have.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4