Any Ham Radio operators using their drone for related tasks?

Jim
Thanks, That was over the top of the trees on both ends, Feed point wound up at 65 feet, The wind got it a couple of weeks ago and its been at less than 20 feet since then, Really hurt my close in stuff (2-500 mile area) back to normal now :)
That is a home brew off center fed for 75, I primarily hang on the bottom end of 75 (3630) With the ESSB group....yea yea..I run wideband audio stuff LOL
I will never use a slingshot again after this, but it really cant be too windy.
Let me see if this works.....

P4 drop mod.jpg

A single zip tie on either leg at the rear holds it on with no problems.

Rick (N9HLL)

NY4PD here and I'm good on QRZ. I was wondering about the same thing guys. a better antenna using ham skills for better signal and range. Any thought please let me know. My email is good on qrz.

Rick, what is the clump at the end of the stub?

Might note that my P4 operates on 2.4 GHz and I have a local wifi business using my ham tower. I have 3 Sector antennas at 100 feet and I have flown the Phantom right up to these antennas for an inspection of all my stuff and had no problem from interference. That drone has a tight front end!! My friend N5VGK is communications expert with several cell and commo towers and uses his P4P to do tower safety inspections and also has had no RF problems.
I have thought of building a 160 meter vertical with two ground radials and some night when 160 DX is open launch the drone with the vertical element and try it for about 24 minutes. I live in rural NE MISSISSIPPI and have plenty of room. Might be an interesting test.
Thanks for your post. I'm sure several hams appreciate the info.
Jim
WA5TEF

Jim
Thanks, That was over the top of the trees on both ends, Feed point wound up at 65 feet, The wind got it a couple of weeks ago and its been at less than 20 feet since then, Really hurt my close in stuff (2-500 mile area) back to normal now :)
That is a home brew off center fed for 75, I primarily hang on the bottom end of 75 (3630) With the ESSB group....yea yea..I run wideband audio stuff LOL
I will never use a slingshot again after this, but it really cant be too windy.
Let me see if this works.....

View attachment 78798

A single zip tie on either leg at the rear holds it on with no problems.

Rick (N9HLL)
ick

how about a better 2.4 ghz antenna. Ive been thinking on how to connect using my drone controller to my tower. lol
NY4PD, great callsign!

In my wifi business I have accumulated several 2 foot dish antennas tuned for 2.4 GHz. They have 21 Dbi gain with excellent f/b ratio and few side lobes. I have thought about mounting ont temporarily on my golf cart ant connect it to my RC and see what range I can get. The dishes are fairly cheap from wifi dealers but shipping is high. If I do get around to this I'll post notes here.
Jim
WA5TEF

Rick, what is the clump at the end of the stub?
[cut]
Thanks for your post. I'm sure several hams appreciate the info.
Jim
WA5TEF

ick
That is just the weight I tie the string to....A brass pipe fitting, The yellow tape is so it shows up.

Rick

Here is a video I made while using the P4 to drop a parachute cord across a cross arm at 110 feet. I later pulled up double bazooka antennas to this point. The attachment was a wooden dowel that stuck out about 6 inches, taped to the landing strutt. I looped the parachute cord and attached lead weight to the end to keep out of the props. The loose end was kept semi tight to prevent it from slipping forward and off. Once the cord was well above and over the cross member, I simply yaw'd the drone 180 degrees and the line pulled off the dowel, dropping straight down. It was kinda scary at first until I got the feel of the flight. I did practice several times out in an open area to be sure I could make the drop safely. Give it a try, much better than a bow and arrow or sling shot!

Jim
WA5TEF

Reactions: Kenny1 and DR.B
Are there any Amateur Radio operators using the Phantom's for stuff like antenna and tower inspections, hanging dipoles over trees, or supporting 160 meter verticals for 25 minute QSO's?
Thanks,
Jim
WA5TEF
Saltillo, MS

Inactive these past years, but the use of a drone sure would have been helpful when I was stringing dipoles for 80 and 160 meters.

Don
KB2AZ

Inactive these past years, but the use of a drone sure would have been helpful when I was stringing dipoles for 80 and 160 meters.

Don
KB2AZ
Don did you see my video of my dropping a line over a side arm on my tower. Kinda dangerous for the drone unless you can control it and watch out for hazards. I’ve done it several times but practiced in open area first.
Good luck
Jim
WA5TEF

We were hired by a local HAM operator to get the para-cord for his antennae up through and over some trees. It was a high Pucker Factor getting up through the canopy but after that it was easy sailing using an Inspire 1 V2 and a STORK drop system.

I have no idea what happened after this as it was a one & done deal and we were off to other jobs (photography) in the area.

BigA, yeah that parachute cord is very useful. I have many hundreds of feet of it supporting and anchoring my several wire antennas. I even use it for guys on a vertical antenna. My old Phantom 4 lifted 200 feet of the stuff when I hung it over my cross arm at 110 feet recently. I used a dowel taped to the landing strutts so it stuck out about 6 inches. I simple formed a loop in the end of the cord and tied a weight to the end and looped it over this dowel. I flew it up and towards the tower keeping the line kinda tight. When I had cleared the cross arm and got about 150 feet beyond, I just rotated the drone 180 degrees and the line pulled itself off the dowel allowing the weight to drop straight down. My first attempt I dropped it beside the tower and it tangled all the way down. Required a climb to free it.after all. But I performed that chore of hanging antennas several times without crashing though as you said, the pucker factor came into play a couple of times! :)
Jim
WA5TEF

Reactions: BigAl07
Don did you see my video of my dropping a line over a side arm on my tower. Kinda dangerous for the drone unless you can control it and watch out for hazards. I’ve done it several times but practiced in open area first.
Good luck
Jim
WA5TEF

Jim, I watched the video. Pretty impressive demonstration of patience my friend!

I have two more that weren’t successful but learned a lot doing the drops. Having the end of the dropped end weighted is important to keep clear of props and long end remain semi tight. It strains the motors to pull all that but well worth the effort.
Good luck
Jim
WA5TEF

Reactions: BigAl07
Here is a video I made while using the P4 to drop a parachute cord across a cross arm at 110 feet. I later pulled up double bazooka antennas to this point. The attachment was a wooden dowel that stuck out about 6 inches, taped to the landing strutt. I looped the parachute cord and attached lead weight to the end to keep out of the props. The loose end was kept semi tight to prevent it from slipping forward and off. Once the cord was well above and over the cross member, I simply yaw'd the drone 180 degrees and the line pulled off the dowel, dropping straight down. It was kinda scary at first until I got the feel of the flight. I did practice several times out in an open area to be sure I could make the drop safely. Give it a try, much better than a bow and arrow or sling shot!

Jim
WA5TEF

Very nice presentation [emoji106][emoji41]

I've inspected my 3 element SteppIR Yagi up on my 40 foot tower.

I have a handheld that has the capability of acting as a 2m/440 crossband repeater. I was thinking of attaching to the P4 somehow. It would have a great range up at 400 feet. But, I,m concerned about the radio interfering with the receiver in the drone.

VE4CY

Nice looking beam! What do you use the parabolic reflector for? I run a wireless internet business from my hamshack and use one like that to get my 5.8 GHz feed on it. My Phantom works great for close up video of the antennas and mounts. Sure beats a 110 foot climb!

Jim
WA5TEF

I use my P4p to get my 80m dipole in the trees using dronefishing.com bait release. Using a surf fishing pole and reel with 100lb test braid. Weight is a tennis ball weighted with 7oz of steel BBs inside.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik