Any guide to purchasing used batteries?

Reaction score
I have two new batteries but would like at least two more to give me about an hour of flying time per use. I purchased a battery off of ebay which was listed as basically new but when I got it the DJI Go app showed that it had been charged 43 times and on the first flight after a full charge the battery charge indicator dropped to 42% and I got a "battery voltage critically low" warning and the aircraft was forced to land.

After a long drawn out back and forth with the seller she finally agreed to take it back and issue a refund. Is there any questioned that I should ask prior to buying a used battery? How many charge/discharge cycles do you all believe is an acceptable amount? Should I even take the risk and just save up until I can buy new ones?

If you're a new guy, I'd recommend buying new batteries.

Maybe later when you learn much more about DJI Lipos you can consider a used battery.

Reactions: Dione
If you're a new guy, I'd recommend buying new batteries.

Maybe later when you learn much more about DJI Lipos you can consider a used battery.
I agree. Dont buy used batteries. Been flying lipos since they were just individual cells, and would never consider buying used batteries.

Three to ZERO. Don't buy used, unless it's from a friend (someone you know).

Thanks....I figured that would be the answer but I figured it would not hurt to ask.

I was thinking that there might be a way to hack the usage count through the firmware to change it to whatever one wanted. Example... an old battery with 100 uses on it somehow changed to only 8 uses. Kind of like spinning the mileage back on a lease. People do that all the time. That's why I'd be leary of used.

I agree that used lipo's are not worth buying.

But your own used battery's that are not so good for flying definitely have a place. Why use your nice flight battery for bench setups - installation checks - FW upgrades etc. Keep the old for that.

I have old lipo's for my RC collection - allows me to test run motors, check setup, balancing of models ..... the list goes on and my good flight jobs can sit quiet.

Nigel

If anyone has worked out a way to reset the counter - then PLEASE tell me how via private message or email. For my own use only.

Nigel

I would never consider buying used batteries. Not too smart.

At present I am asking guys I fly with for old Phantom 3 battery's - in furtherance of my investigation into their control board and FW setup.

But not intended for flight use.

Nigel

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ctlfreak