Angry!!

I can understand the OP's position, but I'm not necessarily in agreement.

I'm drinking from the Kool-Aid. I got my first Phantom and CM-2000 last June. Picked up a 1.1.1 when B&H was blowing the out for $399.00 because the 1.1.1 was "better". Also, p/u a Tarot Gimbal. Last month, I picked up a P2Z.

Each of my Phantoms have been better then the previous.

...and my first Phantom was modded with T-motors, carbon fiber legs, blah, blah.

btw, the Apple example hit the nail on the head

People pointing to Apple maybe need to update their thinking. Apple did in fact do a program for recent iPhone buyers when the they came out with a newer phone faster than their normal update cycle. In addition, Apple has established a rebate program where you can trade in your older iPhone when buying a newer one.

I'd be happy as a pig in $#!t if I could simply purchase the gimbal/camera and install it on my nearly new P2V. But DJI told me that will not be possible. Next time if I buy DJI I will absolutely use Amazon and avoid the local authorized dealer. The 30-day return policy builds in some protection from being burned by fast product cycling.

Just think, you can always take the GoPro off and use for other applications. Can't do that with a P2V+ ;)

Please correct me if I'm wrong...

My understanding is that the P2V+ is basically the P2V, with a 3 axis gimbal, and a slightly different camera. The P2V+'s camera appears to have a narrower field of vision, but at the end of the day we're still talking about a 14mp camera that just does 1080p30 video. So the major difference here is the inclusion of the gimbal.

Being that DJI hasn't stated that they're using the Zenmuse H3-3D gimbal on this (and we can all bet this would have been advertised if they had been, and the price would've been higher too), I don't know that this is such a big deal. There are already other 2 axis gimbals in the aftermarket, and one manufacturer (Rotorpixel) is already stating that they will manufacture a 3 axis upgrade. (That was actually what caused me to order theirs, rather than the one from Dronexpert.)

Having just bought a P2V last week, I could probably return it and apply the balance toward purchasing a P2V+ if I wanted... but honestly, I'm not really that concerned/bothered about this. I'm happy with the research I did before buying, and am comfortable with the choices I've made. The overall cost might be a couple hundred dollars more than going the route of a P2V+, but that doesn't bother me. (Of course, I also plan to upgrade the camera to a GoPro 3+ Black Edition at some point too, which I understand is supposed to trump both the P2V and P2V+ cameras.)

Anyone who complains about "planned obsolescence" doesn't understand the technology industry. Your crap is obsolete because the innovation didn't stop the day you bought it. Boo hoo! I bet the P3 is already taking shape and will exist in beta form within a month or two. Does that make you a sucker for buying a P2? No. It probably won't be out until Fall.

Should DJI let you know all about their next product months in advance? Maybe. But, there's a reason companies tend to keep them top secret until they are on store shelves. It protects their investment for a longer time before the "me too" copy cats flood the market with similar junk.

ianwood said:
Anyone who complains about "planned obsolescence" doesn't understand the technology industry. Your crap is obsolete because the innovation didn't stop the day you bought it. Boo hoo!...

What? You get a commission? (I know that isn't true, and I also have witnessed your generosity- so don't take that seriously)

Planned, and perceived obsolescence is a righteous gripe- regardless of Moore's Law and the nature of tech... because it is a Marketing Strategy, and not a R&D side effect- computer companies do not release the latest computer until they have made back investment on the current model (except for Osbourne)

Sure- in a competitive market like technology, the consumer is always behind the curve- but how many companies release upgraded tech products of this caliber every 2 months? My v1.1.1 was advertised as the "Most Recent Version" in November and December of 2013... by January, the Vision was being hawked, then the P2... if you are justifying this, then I hope you are getting paid.

Personally, if I had known better (mea culpas on that- as someone said, let the buyer beware) then I would have built a 550 or 450, but I wanted to crawl before walking.

Yeah, I can't buy that. I've been managing technology products in one way, shape or form for 15 years now. So yes, I kind of do get a commission. But, that's not what makes it happen. It's the pace of change. I managed a product that wasn't one but two releases ahead of what was commercially available. Two! Because things were happening faster than we could get a new release out the door. Intel used to (and maybe still does) run two chip development teams in tandem to maximize their advantage in new chip fabrication techniques.

And for all those years, people have complained about planned obsolescence. The reality is that tech companies don't need it. The pace of innovation means the phone you had two years ago looks like it is from the 90s. And the phone you had in the 90s looks like it's from the stone ages.

The day I un-boxed my Phantom, giddy like a kid at Christmas, I imagined how I would look at it in 5 years time and through that lens it looked clunky, heavy and unrefined. This despite the fact that it is the newest coolest thing going. Change happens not because the marketing department decides for it to. It happens because we live in an age of hyper-innovation. And for that, we should all be pretty **** happy.

Study the company's release pattern and plan accordingly. But most of the time, just do it because it'll still be what you want even if in two months it isn't the bestest most newerest model anymore.

ianwood said:
The day I un-boxed my Phantom, giddy like a kid at Christmas, I imagined how I would look at it in 5 years time and through that lens it looked clunky, heavy and unrefined. This despite the fact that it is the newest coolest thing going.

I felt that way about my P2V for exactly 9 days. 5 months would have been wonderful, even 5 weeks. Oh well. I'll wait a couple of weeks for the latest greatest from DJI :mrgreen: I'm sure then there will be a bunch of unhappy P2V+ owners.

Ianwood- at least you must realize that you are not representative of the average consumer... in fact, I would say you fall into a very elite group of consumers which would have your bias.

I speak for the regular guy who doesn't think in binary, and does not know the difference between Ohm and omg. I am not a techie, but I am not uninitiated either. I understand your point, I just don't think it is fair to apply it across the board.

How do you "do your research"? I DID my research. What I have found is that if you support this company by laying down $1200.00, is that the machine that you JUST BOUGHT, will be obsolete in 4 weeks! I think the best course of action is to not buy anything from this company for a year, and when they stall out of ideas, THEN buy the product that they offer. It seems as if they are nearing that point. This " every 6 week planned obsolesences " is getting tiring! For those of you that support it, enjoy the fact that the machine that you are using was served to you with the company knowing that they were dangling the proverbial "carrot", only to keep you chasing your tail. I dont appreciate it. TOO many of us have JUST bought a product only to have to return and upgrade.

They are releasing their products too quickly and confusing their customer base. Look at how many people question about adapters, does this, that fit my Phantom? They should wait until they have a sufficiently "better product" than they released 3 weeks previously. Thats why everyone is questioning and second-guessing their recent purchases.

I don't think he applied his position across the board at all, I think it was just a generally well-worded and educated response to the planned obsolescence idea. I would also caution that the claim made goes both ways, is it fair to infer that the common, non-elite consumer is by default averse to fast release cycles? People are people, everyone had their own opinion, and without backup none of us should be attributing our own feelings to the silent majority.

ElGuano said:
I don't think he applied his position across the board at all, I think it was just a generally well-worded and educated response to the planned obsolescence idea. I would also caution that the claim made goes both ways, is it fair to infer that the common, non-elite consumer is by default averse to fast release cycles? People are people, everyone had their own opinion, and without backup none of us should be attributing our own feelings to the silent majority.

All very good points. Sometimes people are silent because they lack the desire to step into the fray... it is much more fun, and safe to watch from the sidelines.

I will say I used to be a bit taken aback by the person out there who would bash DJI as I was roaming forums and support resources these past couple of months- there is a growing segment of the hobby that is very unhappy with DJI in general... but I can not always tell what prompted the bias.

In the spirit of your post ElGuano, I would add that the world of multi-rotor and Phantom users (both happy and disgusted) is far larger than this forum represents also (as you know better than me) and my perception is DJI has made quite a few unhappy campers in the last year or so. I could be mistaken, and I base that on what I've read and been told by people all over the world in this hobby.

I kind of like some of the products- I think they have variety and options- my only gripe, if at all, is with the Phantom. I cannot speak ill of the other offerings at all. This is a tough product and market, and very new territory, but I suspect the motivation is greed and not customer satisfaction. I ean, if nothing else, my conversations with DJI in the recent past confirm it. They were very forthcoming in stating they did not have the support in place for the overwhelming requests. I also got a lot of that from vendors back when shopping- where the vendor would go so far as to say they had requests in for info and they hadn't heard back yet.

Lots of little telltale signs added up paint a picture of what a company prioritizes... and the majority is not so silent about how poorly DJI manages that service after the sale stuff.

Has anybody who purchased the P2V recently and is unhappy about this contacted their dealer yet to ask about what they can offer you in terms of trading/upgrading?

Not going to disagree with on that Hiway. DJI has it's work cut out for them to make a good name for themselves. I don't know the RC space as this is my first venture into it so I can't tell if this is normal or not. It's also my first with a Chinese owned and designed product.

I will say that DJI appears to want to do better. They put a lot of improvement into the P2. They're on the forum talking to us about the J hook problem. We'll see where it goes but so far, not bad. Yet, they have ways to go on product QA, documentation, communication and support. So, there's a lot for them to do.

And... as for release patterns, well, I was speaking in general. DJI's pattern seems to be not having one.

OI Photography said:
Has anybody who purchased the P2V recently and is unhappy about this contacted their dealer yet to ask about what they can offer you in terms of trading/upgrading?

I tried, and so far no response. Plus I just found out that another person who came in on the Monday after I bought mine (on a Friday) was told to hold off on getting the P2V. So I'm a little pissed. BTW, this was a DJI authorized dealer.

SilentAV8R said:
OI Photography said:

I tried, and so far no response. Plus I just found out that another person who came in on the Monday after I bought mine (on a Friday) was told to hold off on getting the P2V. So I'm a little pissed. BTW, this was a DJI authorized dealer.

Dont feel bad when you order the new one, it gets delivered, and find out that they have released ANOTHER model, because they will.

ianwood said:

I will say that DJI appears to want to do better. ...

And... as for release patterns, well, I was speaking in general. DJI's pattern seems to be not having one.

Understood, and I agree- I don't think DJI is deliberately being sinister... I just never got that vibe and that is just tin foil hat mentality. I honestly believe this is pure reactionary to the rabid attraction these things have. I was an efficiency expert/production manager/consultant in a technologically oriented business (graphics and textile printing) and my approach was that I worked myself out of a job if I was doing things right. I trained, and mentored production staff, and my main emphasis was on "Front End Dynamics" which meant that proper planning prevents piss poor performance.

DJI could not have foreseen the way this would take off- I just wish they would take a moment, emphasize support more, and new product release less.

Of course, DJI is the entity that is in business here and they are obviously doing well, and I am just a lowly, semi retired multi-rotor maniac with more money than sense on occasion. I have had to catch myself and redirect as I will adopt that "Take my money and service me" ******* crap when I let my guard down... in case you didn't notice... I am a total *******. I am not qualifying so I can continue being that way... I just come from a long line of assholes... it's genetic.

GMANNZ said:
Yeah Im with the company on this one ..... why is it up to them to worry about you or any individual ?? .... their there to sell products to get money for their shareholders and investors in ANY way they can .... just like Microsoft does, just like Apple does, .... just like every bloody company in the world does ..... this moaning here about normal business practice is getting boring, if people feel so hard done by go hang around at the consumer watchdog forums and moan about it there !! :roll: .... as Im hapopy with DJI, Im happy with my P2V ... Im happy they just released a P2V + ... Im happy they are still developing full speed ahead ... im so happy I have already preordered my new P2v+ which i'll propbaly get before they release the new P3V !!! ... which I'll no doubt be happy about as well, ... as It should be time for XMAS ... :twisted:

Ridiculous! No, ...every other company does not do this. A responsible company DOES feel responsibility to their patrons. Read the comments on the product reviews on Youtube. Mass confusion and anger on behalf of many owners of new phantoms because the new models are coming out so fast that noone knows what are options or retrofittable parts.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20