An open Letter to DJI ( Please read)

I also lost a phantom from a fly away. My case was just like this one... The phantom stopped responding to controls, I also tried everything (including turning off the controller) then the phantom flew itself into a tree - I lost the phantom AND a modified gopro 3 with cinema lens (not to mention the storage card and an FPV transmitter !!!!)

I bought a new phantom, new gopro 3, new everything... this time I also had the Zenmuse Gimble professionally installed at dronefly.com. I flew for 5 flights and now the gimble is limp and useless.

It is becoming clear that DJI saw a gold mine in low priced ariel video equipment and simply put out a series of products that are far from perfected and ready for market. I make my living as a cinematographer and record producer and have been dealing with hi tech gear for 3 decades. This stuff is garbage.

cinemabird said:
I also lost a phantom from a fly away. My case was just like this one... The phantom stopped responding to controls, I also tried everything (including turning off the controller) then the phantom flew itself into a tree - I lost the phantom AND a modified gopro 3 with cinema lens (not to mention the storage card and an FPV transmitter !!!!)

I bought a new phantom, new gopro 3, new everything... this time I also had the Zenmuse Gimble professionally installed at dronefly.com. I flew for 5 flights and now the gimble is limp and useless.

Sounds like pilot error, lost control of the phantom then turned off the radio so RTH kicks in. If there are trees between the phantom and home point taller then 60ft it will hit them, rth doesnt have object detecting radar its a simple straight line at 60ft or higher from where it kicks in to where it last saved a home location. Did you get it back and did you get video footage or did it stay up the tree?

cinemabird said:
It is becoming clear that DJI saw a gold mine in low priced ariel video equipment and simply put out a series of products that are far from perfected and ready for market. I make my living as a cinematographer and record producer and have been dealing with hi tech gear for 3 decades. This stuff is garbage.

The phantom is targeted more at the hobby user that is interested in video, its far from being targeted at professional cinematographers but if they know how to use it then its easily possible to shoot pro level footage without a gimbal in ideal conditions or with much easier. Not sure what country you are in but most require a special license and permits to film from a rc device shooting aerial video and profiting from this which you most likely dont have if you only just got into this with a phantom. A phantom is a great stepping stone to flying a bigger professional setup but if you lose control of a phantom your just as likely to do the same with any bigger setup, it will just cost more money in a crash.

If you check out some of the videos people have shot on the phantom I think there are plenty of examples showing good results can be achieved and its far from a garbage setup, its also quite far from a $10k+ professional setup but let the average person get into something they couldn't a few years ago.

I just read your post on another forum and I am giving you the benefit of the doubt regarding the unfriendliness of that forum towards you and your concerns, though my experience has been quite the opposite.

First of all I'd like to say that I am and have been among DJI's fiercest critics over a number of issues that require vast improvement especially as they relate to customer service / client relations. I do not drink the DJI Kool-Aid by a long shot.

I do think that the phrasing of your letter could be vastly improved. Having spent years around litigation, negotiation, and related fields, I have yet to meet an attorney who would phrase a formal letter in that manner you chose.

To start off by calling them -or their actions- pathetic really leaves little to no room for the type of discourse that will result in positive or constructive changes. Add to that the fact that the jury really is still out on the reason for the fly away issues. You have to accept that a certain percentage of them must be assigned to pilot error. To take the position that 100% of them are the fault of DJI is disingenuous at best.

May I suggest that you restructure your request and approach them from a more articulate, thoughtful, and reasonable position? I think you'll get a lot more people sympathetic to your endeavour if you take that approach.

Respectfully,

Fernando Edwards Carcamo
Nosara, Costa Rica.
[email protected]

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dragonslair