Alternative to DroneDeploy with Gimbal Angle Setting!? Pix4D? DJU Ultimate?

Reaction score
I need an app to do some mapping where typically I identify the boundary of the area then specify 3-5 missions, preferably the all run consecutively remembering where it left off when I change batteries. On each mission I just tell it

(a) what pattern to fly the area crops-duster, orbit, etc
(b) what the gimbal angle is
(c) either a GSD (if pointed straight own) and it calculates the AGL based on the drone's camera specs, or I specify the AGL
(d) the frontlap and sidelap percentages
(e) the speed I want to fly (it then calculates off often the shutter goes off based on speed and frontlap/sidelap)
(f) various camera settings (a given)

DroneDeploy does all this EXCEPT I can't point the camera at any angle other than down when running anything except an orbit pattern!

I use mostly Android, so I prefer that, but if I have to go buy an iPad I will. Again, I'm need an app that calculates the flight pattern based on all those parameters. I don't want to have to draw my own flight paths, just drop points to define the area to be flown.

I *think* Pix4D Mapper does this but I read some threads and they seem to indicate it's more glitchy than DroneDeploy. I also used DJI Ultimate Flight a year ago but have not messed with it since and see it's not updated very often and the community and support is pretty thin compared to DD and the other major apps.

What's the best solution on the Android side and on the iOS side that does all this, is reliable and has decent support? Am I dreaming?

Let's just say the mission I'm flying requires the collection of about 3,000 photos taken in an evenly spaced grid pattern, with the gimbal at an angle. The other details about the mission are really irrelevant.

Now you can see why flying it manually or dropping waypoints manually in an auto-pilot app is, hmm let's say "undesirable" to put it extremely mildly. LOL.

Check out UgCS its android and does everything you need and also has the ability to follow the terrain at a consistent AGL which is really important when trying to achive a consistent GSD resolution. Only downside is that its $70 and requires that you plan missions on a laptop and then have a wireless hotspot in the field that you can connect your flight tablet or phone and the laptop to in order to fly your missions. MapsMadeEasys Map Pilot does evrything you want too but is iOS only and is $40. dji GSP is free and does everything on your list but is also IOS only.

Another option you might want to check out is altizure but I can't speak on it as I havemt tested it out since ive been relatively happy using dji GSP for small simple missions and UgCS for larger more important ones.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cgarner1