Already dissatisfied with the Phantom

Reaction score
Un-boxed this this morning, and going on 12 hours now I have been trying to get the phantom to turn on and function as it is supposed to. I have had nothing but error messages and calibration issues.

I've followed every step in the manual (which is not much help). I've downloaded both the basic and the advanced manual from the web, I've searched websites and forums but it just looks hopeless at this point.

1. Both the driver and the firmware/software were downloaded successfully but I still am receiving error code CFG-ERR for configuration error. I've power cycled both the phantom and the transmitter multiple times. No luck.

2. It seems as though the compass is faulty as I cannot get into the parameters needed to calibrate it successfully, I've tried several dozen times. I even tried DJI's method using a magnet to "fix" the issue, which is I think is rather ridiculous after spending this kind of money and I haven't even flown the **** thing yet.

I will be contacting the supplier I bought this from in the morning for warranty/money back, or something. Frustrated to a whole new level right now as my entire day was spent trying to get this thing running.

Northboundndown said:
Un-boxed this this morning, and going on 12 hours now I have been trying to get the phantom to turn on and function as it is supposed to. I have had nothing but error messages and calibration issues.

I've followed every step in the manual (which is not much help). I've downloaded both the basic and the advanced manual from the web, I've searched websites and forums but it just looks hopeless at this point.

1. Both the driver and the firmware/software were downloaded successfully but I still am receiving error code CFG-ERR for configuration error. I've power cycled both the phantom and the transmitter multiple times. No luck.

2. It seems as though the compass is faulty as I cannot get into the parameters needed to calibrate it successfully, I've tried several dozen times. I even tried DJI's method using a magnet to "fix" the issue, which is I think is rather ridiculous after spending this kind of money and I haven't even flown the **** thing yet.

I will be contacting the supplier I bought this from in the morning for warranty/money back, or something. Frustrated to a whole new level right now as my entire day was spent trying to get this thing running.

I don't suppose you've asked for guidance from someone else more knowledgeable of the phantom during all that?
2 wrongs don't make a right, etc...

Spoke with one person but we had not luck.

I'd just assume to tackle one issue at a time,the faulty compass first. Then the configuration.

idk what to do :(

I've owned two phantom v1. It's not right, or fair, but this device is poorly documented, unwarrantied, with no maintenance manual or schedule. The software updating system is evil and unintuitive. Yet we put up with it. I wish DJI would make the simple things work first before they keep throwing out new versions and products. That said, it is the product leader at the present time and they look determined to hold that spot. They better start listening to their customers and improve their service and support.

Roadkilt said:
I've owned two phantom v1. It's not right, or fair, but this device is poorly documented, unwarrantied, with no maintenance manual or schedule. The software updating system is evil and unintuitive. Yet we put up with it. I wish DJI would make the simple things work first before they keep throwing out new versions and products. That said, it is the product leader at the present time and they look determined to hold that spot. They better start listening to their customers and improve their service and support.

My thoughts exactly, I thought about calling them on Monday but I doubt that will get me anywhere. It looks like I will have to rely on people who have had and fixed the same issues, as well as tuturial videos.

I was befuddled by the setup process. I connected to the computer and got error after error.

On a whim I went outside and calibrated the compass.

Came back in to find the errors gone in the configuration software. I was able to move forward finally.

Roadkilt said:
That said, it is the product leader at the present time and they look determined to hold that spot. They better start listening to their customers and improve their service and support.

Unfortunately, I don't think there are any serious competitor at the same price point yet, with similar features/capabilities...

Did I overlook it or what? What version of Phantom are we discussing?

Wouldn't we need to know that before giving assistance and advice?

OI Photography said:
Did you apply the default Phantom settings file, after updating the firmware? If not, you can find it at the bottom of DJI's download page here: http://www.dji.com/download/phantom-downloads/

If you're able to connect to the NAZA assistant successfully, check to make sure the receiver type is set to "D-bus" instead of "PPM"

I downloaded the default parameters from DJI's website after the firmware upgrade but I was unable to install them because I get an error message telling me that the MC temperature is too high. It's -13 degrees in MN right now and I turned the thermostat up a bit yesterday so I suppose the ambient temperature in the house is not helping. I just woke up and am going to make a run to Home Depot to see if they have a more powerful magnet than the one I have so I can "reset" the compass using DJI's tutorial video. If that doesn't work I am going to contact the supplier and see if they will send me a new compass considering I haven't even flown this yet, I'm thinking it may have come in contact with some sort of powerful magnet during shipping. When I turn it on today to start troubleshooting again, I will be sure to download the new parameters right away before the MC heats up.

As for the calibration error, I'm hoping after the paramtaer download this message will go away, if not I will follow the power cycle instructions listed on DJI's website.

Also, I was told to have the receiver set to "Standard"? Should I set it to D-bus?

Oh and for the record here, it is a standard DJI Phantom with GPS and GoPro mount, purchased last week, arrived here at my home on Friday night.

The "MC Temp too high" message while doing the upgrade is a known bug in the NAZA, you can just click past it (sometimes twice) to complete the upgrade.

If your Phantom has one antenna lead coming out of it, select "PPM" for your receiver type, if it has two, then select "D-Bus." The "Standard" setting is for those who add aftermarket radio gear and connect each channel individually to the NAZA.

Northboundndown said:
OI Photography said:
Did you apply the default Phantom settings file, after updating the firmware? If not, you can find it at the bottom of DJI's download page here: http://www.dji.com/download/phantom-downloads/

If you're able to connect to the NAZA assistant successfully, check to make sure the receiver type is set to "D-bus" instead of "PPM"

I downloaded the default parameters from DJI's website after the firmware upgrade but I was unable to install them because I get an error message telling me that the MC temperature is too high. It's -13 degrees in MN right now and I turned the thermostat up a bit yesterday so I suppose the ambient temperature in the house is not helping. I just woke up and am going to make a run to Home Depot to see if they have a more powerful magnet than the one I have so I can "reset" the compass using DJI's tutorial video. If that doesn't work I am going to contact the supplier and see if they will send me a new compass considering I haven't even flown this yet, I'm thinking it may have come in contact with some sort of powerful magnet during shipping. When I turn it on today to start troubleshooting again, I will be sure to download the new parameters right away before the MC heats up.

As for the calibration error, I'm hoping after the paramtaer download this message will go away, if not I will follow the power cycle instructions listed on DJI's website.

Also, I was told to have the receiver set to "Standard"? Should I set it to D-bus?

Oh and for the record here, it is a standard DJI Phantom with GPS and GoPro mount, purchased last week, arrived here at my home on Friday night.

I really hate people that say this,,,,,,,but the search engine is your friend.

I spent 2 weeks going over this board and others before I got my Phantom and still floundered through the setup. Like the first post here, a lot are no no help at all, but if you look hard enough, the answers are out there.

As just posted...the error is a known bug, just skip past it and yes...set it for D Bus.

peter nap said:
Northboundndown said:
OI Photography said:

I really hate people that say this,,,,,,,but the search engine is your friend.

I spent 2 weeks going over this board and others before I got my Phantom and still floundered through the setup. Like the first post here, a lot are no no help at all, but if you look hard enough, the answers are out there.

As just posted...the error is a known bug, just skip past it and yes...set it for D Bus.

I overreacted a bit in my first post, but after nearly 12 hours of fiddling with it, I was on edge. Feeling much better today!

I switched the RC to D-Bus, applied the new default parameters that I downloaded, then had to wave a magnet around the compass to get it within range to calibrate. Calibration took 3 attempts but I finally got the green lights blinking. I plugged the USB back in and my MOD is around 2200-2400 but apparently that was good enough.

I disconnected USB, power cycled the Phantom and started up the engines, all seems well. However I am indoors and won't know for sure until it warms up a bit outside and I can fly it.

Been messing around with it a bit yet this morning, even bought some magnets just in case I need to do this in the field. Got a little too excited while powering up the motors in the living room though and it tipped on it's side and took a tiny chip out of one my carbon fiber blades. Seems minute though and didn't cause any vibrations. Im thinking it will be fine

This is the worst one, the others have some scrapes on the edges but no chips.

I called the supplier and they felt bad for me so they said they would warranty them if I send them in. I think I'll put the flimsy plastic ones on until I learn how to fly it. Outdoors of course.

Sorry you're having problems with one of our kits... I work in support and R&D. Can you tell me exactly what problems you were having with the compass? What MOD values were you getting with the NAZA software? And lastly, the plastic props and prop guards are your friends when learning. Let me know!

netphreak said:
Sorry you're having problems with one of our kits... I work in support and R&D. Can you tell me exactly what problems you were having with the compass? What MOD values were you getting with the NAZA software? And lastly, the plastic props and prop guards are your friends when learning. Let me know!

I think it came in contact with a powerful magnet at some point during shipping. MOD was only at 300-400. I bought a powerful magnet, did some orbits, got it down to 2200-2400, it calibrated and seems to be fine now. Flies in both GPS and ATTI mode.

I put the plastic props back on to do some practice flights, but I don't think I will get prop guards, they simply add too much weight. I have everything figured out now I think, it's been too cold here in Minnesota to fly it outside though, just been hovering 2-3 feet off the ground in the living room! haha

One thing we've found is that the new compass mod values with this firmware is right around 300-400. If you reload the default config files, that mod number goes back to the 300-400 range. We think that is so people will HAVE to do a compass calibration next flight out. You shouldn't need a magnet, just a good calibration.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Johnboy94