Almost a flyaway? (video)

Reaction score
Took my P3A to Ventura with me yesterday for the day. I updated the firmware before headed out to the beach. Had 3 great flights, and then on my 4th launch all looked good , but right after takeoff it appeared to go out of control. The P3 was not responding to my controller inputs and started flying away backwards with delayed responses to controller inputs. I figured I must have lost GPS, you will see at about 1:00min I flipped the switch to atti and back to gps in attempted to get it under control. It seemed to grab GPS for a second but then went back into P-OPTI.

After a small heart-attack, I was able to get it back to me and land. The entire time I felt like I was herding a drunken flying monkey. After getting the nerve back up, I was able to make 3 more flights without a single issue. Thought my phantom was a goner there for a bit.

Any ideas?

Last edited:
Reactions: jcknows0
check the flight logs.

btw, nice job flipping to atti. most guys don't for whatever reason (jk, I know the reason) and lose the bird.

Reactions: rv13
Great job on the recovery. Too many people tend to panic and forget the knowledge they have. Remaining calm and doing preventative steps for recovery saved you quite a bit of money!

Reactions: rv13
Am I the only one seeing a pattern on these "Fly-aways".........If you look at the initial flight path it looks like a half moon?

Reactions: J0ck0
Here is the flight log.....I have no idea how to read it. Just putting it out there incase it helps anyone.

Attachments

• DJIFlightRecord_2015-08-04_[16-14-26].txt
    98.1 KB · Views: 342
I had something similar happen today, although I never lost full control (Compass error/ATTI mode simultaneously). I would do a full IMU recalibration to be sure as mine took two today to become sane again.

Hello everyone!

First of all I would like to mention I am new to this forum and new to quad copters and enjoying my new found hobby.
I recently bought a phantom 3 professional last weekend
. I updated the firmware before I took it out for its maiden flight.
As I live near the beach, I decided to take it down there and start flying.
I decided to get the feel of it first before taking it up to a reasonable height first.
I did all the pre-flight checks before launching it off the ground and did the auto slide to take off first....No problem so far.. It hovered about 4 feet off the ground. I then did an auto land..Again no problem.

I then repeated the process. But this time when the phantom took off, it immediately veered to the right and before I could take control it slammed into the ground and flipped onto its side breaking two propellers and cracking the shell.
Is checked the log on my iPad mini two and it registered a change from GPS to ATTI mode. But I thought that even in ATTI mode the phantom would still maintain it's stability?

I have since put the phantom away until I can repair it and understand why this happened.
Can anyone tell me if I did something wrong? Or is it a DJI problem?

Many thanks in advance to those who reply.

John

Had an issue on my 3rd flight after the update... basically.. i usually push the phantom to 2km away.. fine... the 3rd flight was 1.9km away and suddenly lost signal video and the android app stop working ..panic...launched the pilot app again...nothing.. just a black screen as it was not connected at all...nothing ...for at least 6 never ending minutes then suddenly the phantom itself back in to my hand landing perfectly on the ground at the home. ...while the app wasn't still connected. ..

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl