Alientech

There's two parts to a system - the controller and the drone both have transceivers.
So how does increasing one half of the equation get better range?
In a passive system I get the antenna gain works both ways - but in an amplified system only the output is amplified for power.
The receiver requires an entirely different kind of amplifier to boost sensitivity. So you can reach the bird but not hear back from it.
These people at least mention the receiver switch but I couldn't find any mention of amplification in the receiver.
If they do then this could actually be a legit range booster.

There's two parts to a system - the controller and the drone both have transceivers.
So how does increasing one half of the equation get better range?...

Are you sure about this? Since this antenna is for lightbridge systems, my understanding is that the left side of the controller antenna transmits and the right side of the controller antenna receives. I'm not aware of a transceiver. If I am mistaken, could you expound on this?

In a passive system I get the antenna gain works both ways - but in an amplified system only the output is amplified for power.
The receiver requires an entirely different kind of amplifier to boost sensitivity. So you can reach the bird but not hear back from it.
Those of us who have amped our systems in years past know to use a bi-direction amp which presumably is termed bi-directional because it amplifies both the outgoing and incoming signal. Experience has shown us that this works. Are you saying this is incorrect and it doesn't work? Where are you getting this information? Do you have a link or a reference? Thanks

I get this information by virtue of an EE and extensive training in microwaves courtesy USAF.
Entirely different methods used to amplify power and amplify a received signal - especially with microwaves.
They DO make them but because they incorporate an LNA (low noise amplifier) the cost of a "proper" microwave bidirectional signal booster is far beyond these RC amps.
https://www.pasternack.com/pages/Featured_Products/coaxial-packaged-bi-directional-amplifiers.html

So just going by what I know is available I do not think these systems costing $250 are using these type amps meaning the receivers are not designed for low noise (signal quality) nor low level - such as by a drone 4 miles out with a 50 mw transmitter. Most amps of the $250 variety simply shunt the received signal straight through because in their intended configuration BOTH sides have the boosters.
Never forget snake oil salesmen are still alive and well.

Exhibit 1: EMF Adapter - EMF Protection for the Home & Office

Yes, but we've been using the bi-directional Sunhans amps for years and they do work both ways...

I don't know anything about this alientech system in the OP, however. I generally pay between $80 and $150 for a Sunhans bi-directional amp...

Sunhans

Last edited:
Ok - so tell me what it uses for amplifying the received signal.

EDIT: What I would consider a "proper" LNA usually involves striplines and special microwave low noise components. There are however chip solutions.
So I dug through some old notes from a project a few years back and it seems the best LNA on a chip designs amplify *almost* 2 db. While not great, it IS amplification. Noise figures aren't great but it does amplify. So in fact I concede that a cheap amp could in fact actually *do* something. But only if properly matched. My other beef with some of these bolt on designs is there's no way to actually match transmission line/antenna impedance. This is absolutely crucial for best performance. Again, perhaps something is better than nothing but I sure would like to see it.

Last edited:
Reactions: lickitysplit11111
after installing (easy to do) I started flying in a place where I had a lot of disturbance before. This has completely disappeared after the installation of the alienech. the distance that I have flown in the area has not gone beyond 1600 meters. Previously this distance was not possible.
I still want to watch on the beach what the further effect is but so far very satisfied!

Reactions: loktite
I recently bought an Alientech antenna I haven’t installed it yet on my P4 any comments with be appreciated

I get this information by virtue of an EE and extensive training in microwaves courtesy USAF.
Entirely different methods used to amplify power and amplify a received signal - especially with microwaves.
They DO make them but because they incorporate an LNA (low noise amplifier) the cost of a "proper" microwave bidirectional signal booster is far beyond these RC amps.
https://www.pasternack.com/pages/Featured_Products/coaxial-packaged-bi-directional-amplifiers.html

So just going by what I know is available I do not think these systems costing $250 are using these type amps meaning the receivers are not designed for low noise (signal quality) nor low level - such as by a drone 4 miles out with a 50 mw transmitter. Most amps of the $250 variety simply shunt the received signal straight through because in their intended configuration BOTH sides have the boosters.
Never forget snake oil salesmen are still alive and well.

Exhibit 1: EMF Adapter - EMF Protection for the Home & Office
Hi All this is greek to me. I would really like to know if this range booster avenue is worth persuing for my P4. Will this really increase the drones range but more importantly than range is signal quality and noise interference. Are all these posts I have read about people getting farther distance and better video just a fluke, different times of day different area of flying with less interference??

I purchased the 4 Hawks raptor XR. And my range was increased by 4x and digital noise was no longer a concern. Good lick

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers