Airmap - need some help please

Reaction score
Looking at this page of Airmap - Unmanned Aircraft Operations Near Airport
Here; Operator Infographic – AirMap

For Civil Use Under Part 107 - Remote pilots must obtain PERMISSION before flight in controlled airspace (Class B,C,D and portions E designated for an airport.

I'm a recreational flier and live near an airport. Does this section pertain to me?

I called the local airport yesterday to discuss how they would like me contact them and when. They seemed to not know what to tell me and I was told they will call me back, they have not called yet. So I'm guessing they aren't sure what to do and are trying to figure that out before they call me back. I want to have a better understanding of all of this before they call, I need to know what is the correct way for this work for us both.

I am well within the 5 mile blanket of airport space.

It says I need permission. I thought I just needed to tell them I will be in the air, where and when.

Again, new to this, just trying learn and do the right thing. But I fear the airport will call me back and deny any request or notification from me. I want to know if I am do this correctly.

I love airmap.

If you're a hobbyist, Part 107 does not apply to you. See AC 91-57A attached.

When you're using airmap, be sure you've clicked the large box on the upper right indicating you're recreational. You can click on the little question mark icon next to it for more info.

If you're within five miles of an airport, you can see you're in a yellow circle surrounding the airport. You can click on that for airport contact info.

Attachments

• AC_91-57A_Ch_1.pdf
    176.4 KB · Views: 315
Last edited:
Mark, thank you for the help and info.

The airport called me a few minutes ago. I was given the unlisted phone number for the control tower and told to just call when I'll be flying.

I was worried after read the airport authority's minutes from their meetings over the past year, seems like a lot of "drone concern" with some mentions of hating those things.

I have to wonder why the phone number to contact the tower is an unlisted one and why it was difficult for me to get it even thought I know many people there. Then they wonder why people fly their UAS in the five mile radius and complain about it in their meetings. I think this airport needs a plan.

Some day soon I might actually fly this thing. I've only had it a week but it seems like months to me because of all the things that need to be done and learned before take off.

You only need to call and notify them of your flight, Hobbiest do not require permission to fly, only to notify the airport of where you will be flying, for how long and that you will remain under 400 feet if you are within the 5 mile radius of the airport.

Tower numbers are almost always unlisted. Remember, they are working aircraft in their airspace and don't want/need the phone ringing all the time distracting them. Now that you have it, use it wisely, have the required no at hand, be concise and brief and finish quickly.

As an ATP corporate pilot I use AC-U-kWIK (acukwik.com) for some airport information, including tower phone numbers. Just enter the airport identifier in the appropriate box (North America, etc) for the information. There is also an airport search area in case you don't know the identifier, set up by state or country.

And, Richard R is correct above. When you call, ask them if they are busy first. If they are, offer to call them back in a few minutes. If you can speak with the tower operator, be brief and to the point. Most controllers are a friendly bunch, and will be glad to help you be safe in busy airspace. I rely on them almost every day. Fly Safe !!

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

Thank you all for the additional pointers.

And yes captianmilehigh, the tower number is shown using the link you posted. I added it to my important links for this since I will be flying in other areas also.

Reactions: captainmilehigh
Yes, the tower can tell you not to fly if they consider there to be sufficient risk. There may be some operation or flight that you are not aware of. However, the tower is not supposed to just arbitrarily tell us 'no'.

Reactions: Falcon900
Notify means notify. It's in the dictionary.

Apparently, Part 101, which I have yet to find on the FAA site (and I've tried to find it twice now over the past six weeks), apparently uses or will use the phrase "provide ... prior notice" instead of "notify." Seems the same to me. This is apparently taken straight from Section 336. But it's still English. It means notify.

So, as it's written, all we, as hobbyists, have to do is notify.

I think it's kind of obvious that nobody is going to call the tower, shout out that they're flying, slam the phone down, and then instantly launch a drone at the end of the runway. There's going to be a two way communication - at least initially - and of course the airport can instruct the pilot not to fly at the end of the runway of in any other situation that would be unsafe. If the pilot chose to ignore the instructions of the airport, he'd be breaking another rule, that is, he could be charged with endangering the NAS.

This so-called drone lawyer in the web page linked below admits the rule is unclear and tries to make sense of it. He writes:

With respect to paragraph (e) above, the FAA has not clarified what qualifies as “prior notice.” Unlike Part 107 Remote Pilots who must obtain airspace authorization via a web-based portal, Part 101 model aircraft operators must provide prior notice using some other means of communication. The FAA’s FAQs and Orders repeatedly refer to calling the airport operator and airport control tower. However, the FAA has been silent about whether this means simply making a good faith attempt to communicate with the airport operator and airport control tower, or whether you must actually engage in two-way communications with both. This writer opines that you must do the latter, since it is not possible to effectively notify the airport operator and airport control tower of your intentions unless there exists a two-way communication.

Link:
Model Aircraft Operations

He also has a copy of what may be Part 101:

FAR Part 101

Last edited:
Blue Angels over my place, I told you they fly low here.

I don't think a Notify would work during the airshow. :);)

baP1070362.jpg

This so-called drone lawyer in the web page linked below admits the rule is unclear and tries to make sense of it.

LOL Peter Sachs is indeed an Aviation Attorney and has helped/is helping us in the Drone Industry to a great degree.

Yes as hobbyists we must "notify". They will not "approve" but merely acknowledge or deny. If they deny and you decide to ignore (and you can do this) expect to get some company from people who are not very happy to see you. The LAST thing you want to do is create a Safety Concern in the NAS.

Since this post started with Airmap:
Does anyone get the airmap app to rotate on his device? It doesn't work on my androids, neither phone or tablet. Auto rotation activated of course.
For me it only works in horizontal format, not landscape...

Does anyone get the airmap app to rotate on his device? It doesn't work on my androids, neither phone or tablet. Auto rotation activated of course.
No, I have the same issue on both android and iOS devices. When I have internet on my on my iPad, I go to their webpage AirMap.io which will rotate.

Reactions: MaxHam
Mark, thank you for the help and info.

The airport called me a few minutes ago. I was given the unlisted phone number for the control tower and told to just call when I'll be flying.

I was worried after read the airport authority's minutes from their meetings over the past year, seems like a lot of "drone concern" with some mentions of hating those things.

I have to wonder why the phone number to contact the tower is an unlisted one and why it was difficult for me to get it even thought I know many people there. Then they wonder why people fly their UAS in the five mile radius and complain about it in their meetings. I think this airport needs a plan.

Some day soon I might actually fly this thing. I've only had it a week but it seems like months to me because of all the things that need to be done and learned before take off.

I would suggest you go to their meetings. If the minutes are made public I assume the meetings are also open to the public. Go and educate them. Be a representative for your area. Show them that sUAS operators are not all kids being stupid with their flying machines.

horizontal is landscape.

you mean you see it in portrait/vertical and will not rotate horizontal/landscape?

Yes, sorry, the app doesn't rotate to horizontal. I've learned that the app doesn't do this thus people go to their website where horizontal works...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic