aerials of prisons / landfills aside public roads

Reaction score
Along Rt 70 in FL east of Arcadia are prison & landfill;
did not stop to take aerials as I did not know if laws
exist that disallow flying nearby above these...even if
taking off & landing from side of public road. Comments?
Asking for trouble? But illegal or not...?

Don't even think of flying anywhere near a prison.
There's a heightened awareness of people trying to drop contraband into prisons and any flying near a prison is going to be viewed very seriously.

A prison near me has a 1 mile no fly zone around it, and although I haven’t tried, I don’t think the copter will even spin up.

I know you're in the States and it's not what you're planning to do, but the UK has just locked up a drone gang for flying contraband over the walls of prisons.

Prison drones drug smuggling gang jailed

Best not to even think of flying near a prison wherever you may be, I would guess.

I would not.
Unless I contacted prison first to ask:
a. how close I could fly without issues
b. could I fly any closer with advance permission
(guessing b involves guard standing next to me entire flight)

Greatest fear: guards with guns shoot drone down,
ask questions later...

Still, am curious about legalities since
FAA controls airspace near & over prison,
not prison, right...?

Don't know how many of these are active prisons,
whether or not pilot had special permission, but...:
youtube drone aerial prison - Google Search

I would not.
Unless I contacted prison first to ask:
a. how close I could fly without issues
b. could I fly any closer with advance permission
(guessing b involves guard standing next to me entire flight)

Greatest fear: guards with guns shoot drone down,
ask questions later...

Still, am curious about legalities since
FAA controls airspace near & over prison,
not prison, right...?

Don't know how many of these are active prisons,
whether or not pilot had special permission, but...:
youtube drone aerial prison - Google Search
I found a lot of info doing a Google search with keywords "airspace prison law", including this one but I can't be bothered to delve any further.

Airspace Restrictions . Surely a prison could come under 'security sensitive'?

If you do the same search you may be able to form some sort of conclusion for yourself. Alternatively, take off from a nearby location and then see how close you can go in before someone, probably armed, comes rushing out and grabs both you and your drone, - That's if, as you say, they haven't shot it down already....

I prefer a quieter life myself.... :)

Aircraft" flights over prisons in the US are only prohibited if indicated on a sectional or terminal chart. With that said, there may be local ordinances that would prohibit certain activities around said prison. I live close to a prison and DJI recognizes it as a NFZ. I don't recommend flying a drone anywhere near a prison!

Just because there appears to be nothing saying that you can't fly there doesn't mean that you can or have to...

It could cause a person a whole lot of trouble - and may be potentially bad for the drone community as a whole, IMHO...

Not prisons but landfill sites, I would have loved to have had a drone back in the early 90s when we were investigating a mismanaged landfill site in Scotland, they were dumping dead livestock and medical waste in it against the terms of their operating licence, I was the camera operator and dressed in a hazmat suit as were the other 2 that were taking the samples, we still got ill from being there. The operators using the machinery on site to compact the waste had pierced the liner that was supposed to stop the leachate from contaminating the local streams and rivers, they had a settlement pond and were pumping it directly from the bottom of the pond into a water supply for a neighbouring farm (not mine).

We got them to shut down and clean up the operation before they could continue using the site which was an ancient quarry.

And here's another similar news story from today.

Man jailed for drone drug-drop at prison

I guess he forgot about/didn't know about the 2nd SD card within the drone that DJI can use for crash flight analysis...That cost him 5 years in the slammer, which means 2.5 years if you're a good boy...

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl