Actual max height?

Believe FAA rules state "under 400 feet". You agree to that if you have even a hobbyist license. I am finding that I fly about 160 feet which gets me the sights I want to see on my flights.
I think you mean when you register yourself.

As I recall, it does state that, as well as a few other things. However, the FAA has given out incorrect information and exceed their authority in the past. Well after the registration was in the place the FAA themselves confirmed in a letter that hobby flying was not limited to 400', per their own statues. It's been discussed many times and beat to death many times.... this is simply a _fact_. Anyone can say whatever they want... it's not going to change what the FAA have confirmed themselves in writing. People can "know" who they want, "talk" to the "FAA", work on what ever "projects" they want.... it's not going to change what the FAA themselves have confirmed in writing. It's just not.

Can someone provide this link where the FAA states this?

Still waiting on this letter writen from the FAA stating all hobbyist are allowed to fly above 400ft, whenever they want.

There is another thread on here somewhere where someone called the FAA and asked about height limits for the hobby flyer. They also state the the FAA representative told them that the 400 feet is only a guideline and not the law.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

Reactions: Apilot101
Still waiting on this letter writen from the FAA stating all hobbyist are allowed to fly above 400ft, whenever they want.
I suggest the same as a few others here have told you, use the search button. There's been many threads where this has been discussed. Difference is, nobody is scared any more. Those scare tactics Wont work any more. If your SO scared other hobbyist's will ruin it for you, you may want to think about another sport. So While you want to beat on this dead horse drinking your beer, just remember 1 thing, "A man convinced against his will is of the same opinion still" . Meanwhile I will go safely fly as I feel is within "LAW".

Reactions: tcope and HWCM
I suggest the same as a few others here have told you, use the search button. There's been many threads where this has been discussed. Difference is, nobody is scared any more. Those scare tactics Wont work any more. If your SO scared other hobbyist's will ruin it for you, you may want to think about another sport. So While you want to beat on this dead horse drinking your beer, just remember 1 thing, "A man convinced against his will is of the same opinion still" . Meanwhile I will go safely fly as I feel is within "LAW".

Many threads discussing, yet you can't provide a link? I'm not interested in someones opinion or interpretation of what they believe was said. I'm interested in the actual letter the FAA issued stating that any recreational pilot can fly at any altitude, whenever they want.

And this may seem like a "sport" to you. But to others this is an actual profession. A means to making a living for themselves and their family's. Not just a cool little toy their father bought them.

The FAA has spent an awful lot of money developing and promoting the "Know Before you fly" effort, which is also endorsed by many of the manufacturers. It seems very odd to me that they would state otherwise about the height limit for hobbyists in a letter. I would like to see a scan of said letter. Until then, apilots101 claims are not valid. There's a lot of new folks here, stating incorrect information isn't good for anyone. So let's see this letter or some kind of official documentation from the FAA.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Reactions: N017RW
Many threads discussing, yet you can't provide a link? I'm not interested in someones opinion or interpretation of what they believe was said. I'm interested in the actual letter the FAA issued stating that any recreational pilot can fly at any altitude, whenever they want.

And this may seem like a "sport" to you. But to others this is an actual profession. A means to making a living for themselves and their family's. Not just a cool little toy their father bought them.
Check out the faa page Getting Started Chart clearly makes the distinction between hobby and Part 107 altitude limits. one of the community based organizations recognized is the AMA and their safety guidelines only limit flights to below 400 ft when within 3 miles of an airport.

A double check of the FAA homepage states that hobbyists are "strongly encouraged" to follow community safety guidelines. Looking at the AMA Safety guide, they explicitly state 400 feet.

A double check of the FAA homepage states that hobbyists are "strongly encouraged" to follow community safety guidelines. Looking at the AMA Safety guide, they explicitly state 400 feet.

From the AMA Manual Safety Code
"A.2.(c) Not fly higher than approximately 400 feet above ground level within three (3) miles of an airport without notifying the airport operator. "

Many threads discussing, yet you can't provide a link? I'm not interested in someones opinion or interpretation of what they believe was said. I'm interested in the actual letter the FAA issued stating that any recreational pilot can fly at any altitude, whenever they want
You out of all people are demanding answers? someone who is yet to answer questions from days ago. you have yet to answer post #32 on friday. While your at it how about providing any LAW on recreation fliers which is what the OP is?

This is not correct. At least not in the US. Where did you get 1600ft from?
You can not fly over 400ft, unless you have your license. ...
How about you give me a link where that is *law*. if you did more research instead of flaming all who disagree with you, you would had known that he got 1600 ft from what is about the typical max amount that DJI imposed in their Go software.
Funny how you demand proof, yet can not provide any proof of law on recreational operators to back your beliefs.

I'm still waiting on proof of law that restrict hobbist. I don't care about AMA guidelines since I'm not on their property.

From the AMA Manual Safety Code
"A.2.(c) Not fly higher than approximately 400 feet above ground level within three (3) miles of an airport without notifying the airport operator. "
Aren't we glad that AMA doesn't write laws either. Unless I was to fly on AMA property, they can go kick rocks (PG version):D

Now as a disclaimer as I have said repeatedly, no matter where we fly even without breaking laws, (height included) we (operators) are still responsible for any damage done by our RC craft.

Last edited:
You out of all people are demanding answers? someone who is yet to answer questions from days ago. you have yet to answer post #32 on friday. While your at it how about providing any LAW on recreation fliers which is what the OP is?

How about you give me a link where that is *law*. if you did more research instead of flaming all who disagree with you, you would had known that he got 1600 ft from what is about the typical max amount that DJI imposed in their Go software.
Funny how you demand proof, yet can not provide any proof of law on recreational operators to back your beliefs.

You of all people are still talking in general?

Oh, question #32... You mean the one where you were talking to a completely different member on this forum? Ahhh, Got it.

You can try to reword things all you like. But clearly, you can't provide any proof for your claims.

The FAA has spent an awful lot of money developing and promoting the "Know Before you fly" effort, which is also endorsed by many of the manufacturers. It seems very odd to me that they would state otherwise about the height limit for hobbyists in a letter. I would like to see a scan of said letter. Until then, apilots101 claims are not valid. There's a lot of new folks here, stating incorrect information isn't good for anyone. So let's see this letter or some kind of official documentation from the FAA.

lol, my points aren't valid because our government wouldn't have wasted money..... PHAHAHAHAHAHA, now that brother was funny. No, our government wouldn't waste money on anything.. That made my side hurt laughing so hard.

Meanwhile please, please, please show ANYONE any law written that reflects that hobbyist are required by law to stay below 400 ft agl. Meanwhile, your point are not valid without proof.

As mentioned, it's as easy as using the search button. In that you choose not to spend the 5 seconds it takes to do this indicates that you have little interest in knowing the facts. However, I'll put in the time and provide the search for you:

http://amablog.modelaircraft.org/amagov/files/2016/07/FAA-400feet.pdf

If you don't want to take the time to click on that link and read the letter I'll include the pertinent info below:

upload_2017-1-23_10-5-42.png

upload_2017-1-23_10-6-21.png

Also, it's never been stated that hobby flyers could fly above 400' when ever they wanted. I've stated that the 400' limit regulation does not apply to hobby fliers. They still need to abide by other regulations, such as safe flying and yielding to manned aircraft.
As mentioned, this issue has been beat to death on this forum.

As mentioned, it's as easy as using the search button. In that you choose not to spend the 5 seconds it takes to do this indicates that you have little interest in knowing the facts. However, I'll put in the time and provide the search for you:

http://amablog.modelaircraft.org/amagov/files/2016/07/FAA-400feet.pdf

If you don't want to take the time to click on that link and read the letter I'll include the pertinent info below:

View attachment 74265
View attachment 74266

Also, it's never been stated that hobby flyers could fly above 400' when ever they wanted. I've stated that the 400' limit regulation does not apply to hobby fliers. They still need to abide by other regulations, such as safe flying and yielding to manned aircraft.
As mentioned, this issue has been beat to death on this forum.

Thank you for the link! I couldn't find the letter anywhere.

Although is this still accurate - as it was dated July 6 of last year. New laws went into effect just over 1 month later.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tpren3