Abandoned Railroad Bridge in The Desert (Criticism please)

I think the color looks really good, personally. Maybe slightly oversaturated if anything. The only real criticism I might offer is to cut the length by about half or more. All your shots are good, but many are redundant.

I think the general population has about a 1 minute attention span for videos like this.

Cheers!

Reactions: NotARubicon
Some very nice work on the sticks.

There seems to be some opportunity to get more out of the grading. I purchased some LUT's from a member here, Jonas, Dynamic Range LUT's. I highly recommend them. Best $15 i think i ever spent.

You may also like to do some horizon straightening in a few sections. Perhaps some cropping.

Very nice to watch, an interesting scene.

Thanks guys.. I agree with the length being too long and the redundant shots.. I only had a limited amount of shots and just wanted to fill the time of the music (I loved the music) - it was really just a color test but so far it's gotten almost 5K views on Facebook..
I did use a LUT, but not the ones from Jonas. I have those as well..
Didn't think about the straightening - will put that one my list..

Cut that music up! You might be surprised how much flexibility you gain with music editing when you look at the waveforms and match up measures. Most especially if you know a thing or two about chord structure, you can make a pre-existing bit of music fit just about anything. We do this a LOT in advertising.

Anyway...pretty good stuff. I'd maybe err a touch lighter on the shadows (make sure your monitor is calibrated!! what platform are you on?) but I certainly don't mind the saturated look.

This may sound cheesy, but think about the story you're telling next time you're looking for cool shots to get. "Story" doesn't have to be narrative or even comprehended by your audience necessarily...just something like 'our day trip to this bridge' or 'where in the middle of desert is this' or 'how this has withstood time and elements' running through your head with give you some ideas about beginning/middle/end, cause/effect and lead to ideas, variety, and flow.

I.E. just going with the obvious day trip line, you're gonna start with something about getting out there...which would lead you to clean empty desert and driving shots...which I'm guessing would be awesome here (and fun). Even just the subtle causal relationship between 'drove through desert in 4x4s > saw sweet old bridge' will add a bit of subconscious satisfaction to the experience and match up well with music (which almost always builds).

There...100k of film school in a nutshell :)

Cut that music up! You might be surprised how much flexibility you gain with music editing when you look at the waveforms and match up measures. Most especially if you know a thing or two about chord structure, you can make a pre-existing bit of music fit just about anything. We do this a LOT in advertising.

Anyway...pretty good stuff. I'd maybe err a touch lighter on the shadows (make sure your monitor is calibrated!! what platform are you on?) but I certainly don't mind the saturated look.

This may sound cheesy, but think about the story you're telling next time you're looking for cool shots to get. "Story" doesn't have to be narrative or even comprehended by your audience necessarily...just something like 'our day trip to this bridge' or 'where in the middle of desert is this' or 'how this has withstood time and elements' running through your head with give you some ideas about beginning/middle/end, cause/effect and lead to ideas, variety, and flow.

I.E. just going with the obvious day trip line, you're gonna start with something about getting out there...which would lead you to clean empty desert and driving shots...which I'm guessing would be awesome here (and fun). Even just the subtle causal relationship between 'drove through desert in 4x4s > saw sweet old bridge' will add a bit of subconscious satisfaction to the experience and match up well with music (which almost always builds).

There...100k of film school in a nutshell :)
Some nice production tips here.

Get closer... now you know the space, get in there. Inches above the track, underneath between the steel girders. Once you can pilot this thing, take some chances. No one is going to bother you way out there! (and I agree with the above, even less. 30 seconds is all you need.)

M

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl