A wedge-tailed eagle sussing out my DJI FPV, I wish I had used my Phantom 4 Pro V2

I had to look up sussing.
Good on you! For others who may be curious: Australian/British slang... To 'suss-out' is to investigate. Someone's actions can also be 'suss', as in arouse suspicion or be suspect.

American popular culture washes over the rest of the English-speaking world. We're familiar with your accents, your slang, your artists and even your politicians. It's almost entirely a one-way street. We even adopt your expressions as our own. I'm fighting a rear-guard action to keep my children (nine and ten) speaking Australian English. In today's on-line world, it's a battle I will lose.

I have lots of hawks around my house. They care the least. I know they are much smaller than an eagle, but that doesn't stop seagulls. Seagulls have harassed me many times. As with many animals, act aggressive and they leave you alone. I have a video where an osprey started towards me. It got quite close, maybe 10 ft. till I started towards him.
Sorry John, we speak different English. I had to look up sussing. Lol.
Very funny, most English speakers would have to look up sussing,not a problem, I knew it would throw none UK english speakers. UK english speakers are a tiny minority of those who speak the language.
Agree with you, but although birds even small ones some times harass you occasionally, of all the many hours in the air no bird has ever actually hit a drone of mine.
I just see it as an opportunity to get good footage. If we were birds would you attack a menacing sounding in machine that looks like it could hurt you? I wouldn't, unless I had a few beers or ingested some mind altering chemical, as far as I am aware birds don't have access to that sort of stuff. But you never know, there could be an enterprising hawk out there that may take the opportunity to be a dealer or bar owner. But then there would be a lot of dead birds and dead drones. Oh, and very confused drone flyers. :)

Good on you! For others who may be curious: Australian/British slang... To 'suss-out' is to investigate. Someone's actions can also be 'suss', as in arouse suspicion or be suspect.

American popular culture washes over the rest of the English-speaking world. We're familiar with your accents, your slang, your artists and even your politicians. It's almost entirely a one-way street. We even adopt your expressions as our own. I'm fighting a rear-guard action to keep my children (nine and ten) speaking Australian English. In today's on-line world, it's a battle I will lose.
Ah yes, I think Australians would know what suss means. Not long woke up so I will test it when I get out and about in Perth. Problem here in WA is that there are so many poms. But I will pick on a dinki-di Aussie. So there are a few more homework pieces.
Pom, some take offence, I think it funny, being one myself.
Dinki-di, two words to look up. I think we should accept all English varrients, we are all different but all deserved to be respected. All speakers of English speak correct English there is no one standard as there used to be, "Queen's English." Again take the opportunity learn about different cultures. I particularly like Indian English, I find South African English alluring, when a woman speaks andyway. I don't know why. Sorry for the wandering off subject people.
You will lose that battle, indeed.

Ah yes, I think Australians would know what suss means. Not long woke up so I will test it when I get out and about in Perth. Problem here in WA is that there are so many poms. But I will pick on a dinki-di Aussie. So there are a few more homework pieces.
Pom, some take offence, I think it funny, being one myself.
Dinki-di, two words to look up. I think we should accept all English varrients, we are all different but all deserved to be respected. All speakers of English speak correct English there is no one standard as there used to be, "Queen's English." Again take the opportunity learn about different cultures. I particularly like Indian English, I find South African English alluring, when a woman speaks andyway. I don't know why. Sorry for the wandering off subject people.
You will lose that battle, indeed.
and don't even mention sandgroper dialect John :tearsofjoy:
I like watching those English shows where the couple move to Perth because of warm weather...they certainly get that. Perhaps you could post that joke re rather?

Reactions: John Gowland
The greatest separation of American English from English happened when Webster wrote America's first dictionary. We had just gotten over the war for independence and had a complete dislike for England. We didn't get along so well then. Then England came back for a second bout in 1812. We didn't even want our money to resemble the English monetary system. We took it from the French and Spanish. Funny we don't have any pennies, but we call our cent pieces that. Well, Webster wrote and changed the spelling and how we pronounced many words. Languages are always growing and changing. Example: old and new English. It is hard to keep up with it at times, especially slang.

Reactions: MTO and Pygar70
I could agree with you but only if you are a photographer who must take exactly such kind of a picture (volcano, thunderstorm, etc.) and that's the only way to take it, and you'll get a few thousand $ for it. But even then the rules of flying over people must not be neglected.
Otherwise all that knowledge necessary for p.107 certificate would be like a joke.
Of course it's up to the pilot to decide what to do or not to do in critical situations and does it worth to fly.
Over people?! Did we watch the same video? I think he went out for a leisurely flight and came home with some cool shots of an awesome bird with his drone still intact. I call that a great day! I think I might have missed the part where he was trying to monetize it.

Reactions: John Gowland
Hah, cool footage. Probably lucky you didn't lose it!

RoOSTA

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl