A testament to its durability

Reaction score
Today was scary. I was flying my drone low to the ground at about 25mph in a freshly cut thatch field. So essentially a padded ground, which came in handy. As I was flying low (10ftish) to get a cool looking pov, the drone began to drift... As I was at an odd angle of my LOS to the rc, it was hard to see how bad of a drift it was. Well the instant I clipped a tree branch, down goes my drone following by the ptsd-inducing groan and grinding of my motors upon hitting the ground. You can imagine the look of horror on my face.

Long story short, spent 20 mins cleaning the drone and assessing the damage. Besides a broken prop, and a bruised ego, the bird flew just fine afterwards. So far, like nothing ever happened.

My point: These drones can take a beating.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Reactions: cneedforspeed
They sure are. Last night I slammed a tree trunk in sport mode and lost three props but the thing still flies like new!

That's funny, last night I flew my drone just for a quick spin, it was dark and usually I know better than this, well I decided to fly off my porch which has a roof on it, all went well as I lifted and flew between the roof and the railing I have on the porch, it's a tight squeeze for sure but I trusted my pilot skills being that Iv never crashed in my life.. I guess I got cocky.. Well all went good but on my way back into the porch, again very tight squeeze, the wind started to pick up pretty bad, I went for it anyhow, well what I didn't think about was, becuse of the porch having a roof it affected my gps signal, so between that and the wind pushing me to the right, my left rear blade just bearly caught one of the pillars on my porch, I was so close to making it back in.. Long story short, it clipped the piller, the drone came down bounced off the railing (not very hard) and landed on the soft grass/light snow below. It was about a 5 foot or so drop..

I was freaked out, never thought it would happen to me as I like to think of myself as one of the better pilots out there. I made a stupid decision of careless and finally managed to crash her.

The drone landed on the end of one of the arms, so one arm at the end had some mud/dirt on it, as mentioned above, I took the one screw out at the end of the arm and cleaned all the dirt out and blew it out with a blow gun nicely, checked the drone out, not a single scratch ! Flew perfectly after , only thing that broke was the one prob that hit the beam which took it down, other than that the gimbal Camera, drone and sensors all work flawlessly!!!

Let's just say It was a nice wake up call. And to even the best pilots out there, don't let your guard down! And don't get cocky like I did. Sometimes we get so comfortable , you start to think you can do anything.. Well in my case, feeling too comfortable is what got me into trouble. I am just SO glad nothing is broken. I'm so happy my baby made it out of this with out a singe scratch.

+1 these drones are tough! Btw, mines a p3a.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Only 2 unplanned landings thus far, and can fully attribute both to pure operator error. Both times i did just what NoBiffBetter said ad got a little too adventurous. This isnt a race quad, gotta fly her steady. In both instances I got very lucky and the bird survived. I'm sure in part due to its build. +1 on #builtphantomtough

Sent from my SM-N920T using PhantomPilots mobile app

Disclaimer;
new to my 3pro and first quad!

But if you want to take chances, dont do it on the $600+ tool. Get a helicopter! You can find a full package used from $100 to $300 new. When you crash youll be looking at $20ish. Ive been flying helis since 2011 and my knees still shake. It also allowed me to have all my orientations down so now i can concentrate on photography with the drone.

And when you do crash the heli, it will be spectacular!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
robvalduga