A Bayou Howdy

New Iberia is about three hours south from us. I was born in Houma, which is more known for the tv show Swamp People. My Daddy says if you refer to a gal with her first and middle name, hang onto her. A lot of the wetlands were altered when Katrina blew through here. Here are a couple pictures he took when he went down after Katrina to help clean up.
Yea, hurricanes tend to muck stuff up, I grant you that. But usually it all fixes itself too. But there is no sign of where the bayou was and where the boat house was on the maps. It all seems well above lake level. We used to paddle the piro up the bayou from the lake right to granddad's boat house. I know the water wasn't deep there, maybe 3-4' back then. But now there isn't any sign of water anywhere near where his house used to be (torn down and a new building built there).

I hung onto her (as often as possible I might add ;) ) but dad was in the USAF and he got stationed in Florida when I was 8 and thats where I grew up. We were good friends that probably would have been much more had we stayed in LA. We used to return there very often (couple times a month) and we would stay for a couple weeks in summer. When granddad passed in '75 mammaw moved into town (Bosier) and we didn't return to that area for a long time. Back then there was no internet and no cell phones. Long distance cost a fortune and letters just don't cut it for a long distance thing to a couple teenagers. Not sure where she eventually went. Havn't seen her since I was in Jr high school so I never got a real chance to see how she turned out. But at 13-14, well, she was just fine by me and she could catch fish too :) Many a hot afternoon was spent laying in the boat smoochin under the shade of a big cypress with a couple bobbers in the water and had to break it up to reel in the fish. God I miss the simple things you just can't do anymore.

Yea, hurricanes tend to muck stuff up, I grant you that. But usually it all fixes itself too. But there is no sign of where the bayou was and where the boat house was on the maps. It all seems well above lake level. We used to paddle the piro up the bayou from the lake right to granddad's boat house. I know the water wasn't deep there, maybe 3-4' back then. But now there isn't any sign of water anywhere near where his house used to be (torn down and a new building built there).

I hung onto her (as often as possible I might add ;) ) but dad was in the USAF and he got stationed in Florida when I was 8 and thats where I grew up. We were good friends that probably would have been much more had we stayed in LA. We used to return there very often (couple times a month) and we would stay for a couple weeks in summer. When granddad passed in '75 mammaw moved into town (Bosier) and we didn't return to that area for a long time. Back then there was no internet and no cell phones. Long distance cost a fortune and letters just don't cut it for a long distance thing to a couple teenagers. Not sure where she eventually went. Havn't seen her since I was in Jr high school so I never got a real chance to see how she turned out. But at 13-14, well, she was just fine by me and she could catch fish too :) Many a hot afternoon was spent laying in the boat smoochin under the shade of a big cypress with a couple bobbers in the water and had to break it up to reel in the fish. God I miss the simple things you just can't do anymore.
Crawfish, crawdaddies are my favorite. There is a place right here called, Catfish Junction that has the best gator, but it burned up a while back. now, it is crawfish from the roadside vendors

Always called em mudbugs. And yea, gator tail is good eats. I cubed some up and shook them with a shake-n-bake porkchop mix and baked them off nice and tender. Didn't tell the granddaughters what it was until they had their fill and were asking for seconds. Both of them backed off but a few minutes later they were back wanting those seconds anyway.

Leaving tomorrow morning headed down to Florida panhandle tomorrow. Got my hungry on now for a crawfish po boy. Nobody makes a good muffaletta up here but there is a place in Pensacola called Four winds that is one awesome deli and they make em right. Gotta watch your wallet in there though, that guy can sell an ice cube tray to an Eskimo and make him proud he bought it. Hell of a nice guy though and treated mom and dad right when they would go see him.

Reactions: dirkclod
Pops calls them mudbuggers, and they are awesome. Went about two years before he told me to rip the mud vein out though :) A big old pan with all the seasoning, corn on the cob, potatoes and all the fixins, yummy. Didn't mean to hijack this post but have fun in the panhandle areas.

Crawfish, crawdaddies are my favorite. There is a place right here called, Catfish Junction that has the best gator, but it burned up a while back. now, it is crawfish from the roadside vendors
Crawfish etouffee'...............sure miss it.
I gotta get back Home and enjoy mudbugs, Bud Light and Jole Blon

Wellp. Feels good to be back "home" :). Left Milwaukee yesterday mornin. Slept in Bowking Green. And am sitting outside under the big liveoak tree in the back yard listening to the crickets and frogs croaking. Bout 65 here. Had rained earlier seems like. Ran through some rain up in Montgomery area but got out of it by the Florida state line. Sippin on a malt and Whataburger. Life is good.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20