60fps Rendering Settings For Youtube

Reaction score
Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.

I experimented the other day with shooting at 60fps 1080p at very low altitude (a couple of feet) to capture detail in trees, twigs and grasses etc.

It seems no matter how I render it, the Youtube compression is absolutely awful! I've tried many different bitrates and even reducing the fps but the detail is always lost and there is lots of blocking / artifacts once it's uploaded.

I'm quite a novice with video editing / rendering but have read up as best I can and just can't seem to get a decent result.. am I just expecting too much of Youtube or am I doing something very wrong?

Would I have been better shooting in 2.7k and downscaling?

Original recording data is 1920/1080 @ 59fps, bitrate 60001kbps. What would be the best rendering settings for Youtube?

How long are you waiting for YouTube to process the video? YouTube starts by processing the lower resolution versions first. Check the available video resolutions when viewing a video by clicking the wheel at the bottom right of the video. If you do not see the resolution that you uploaded, YouTube is still processing the higher resolutions. It can take 1 hour more or less depending on their load and the size of your video.

Hi, yes I've left it to fully process each time so it's available in max resolution. I've lost count how many times I've tried uploading different attempts at rendering now :(

Same experience here. I am going to try uploading a ProRes file instead of H264. Even though the native H264 coming off the SD card looks great, I think YouTube is further compressing it so it goes to **** after that. At least uploading a ProRes file, it is starting with an even better quality master file to compress...Hopefully, lessening the picture degradation.

Here's an interesting article: Encoding YouTube Videos at the Highest Quality

H.264 is usually fine, could you show a link to one of the crummy uploads?

Crummy upload https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JMvP9UfU4JM

It's not the best or worse upload yet, it's just where I gave up! I can't remember what rendering setting that was at either... I stopped being methodical a while back :confused:

It's not a particularly interesting bit of video but I'm just trying to get an understanding of best rendering (and/or shooting mode) settings for future reference.

I'm not bothered about rendering or upload times, I have a fairly fast pc and fibre broadband... I just want to understand how I can get the highest quality output. It doesn't seem that a big file / long upload necessarily produces good results?

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20