57w vs 100w charger

It can be done and it may very well be just fine. However, officially DJI does not recommend it
Well it would not be the first time or the last when dji says some thing and they dont have a dam clue what they are talking about. and other stuff is stuff they need to say for lawyer reasons.

They still say the re700 range extenders will not work with a regular phantom non plus vision even tho every one knows they not only work. They work really well with no issues whats so ever. and is a good example of them saying things that they just dont know what the heck they are talking about.

and a good example of them saying stupid stuff for legal reasons is there great advise with the p2 and p3 ,battery's when they say DO NOT SWALLOW or if you do the seek medical attention. lol WHAT. Thats not even possible even if some one wanted to try there hardest. and what they should of said was if any one can swallow one to seek medical attention THEN if female forward all contact details to me. Heck if she can even swallow an entire p1 battery with out gagging might even be doable if shes talented and well practiced in them skills.. BUT Im sure who ever in the legal department that thought they should make sure to put the do not swallow warning in with the p2 and p3 battery's must not of every actually seen one and probably don't even know what it is other then its a battery of some kind and would probably not be to good to swallow one even if someone could. which they cant even if they were linda lovelace.

Reactions: spin2win
They do not recommend it but I have been doing it for 2 months with no issues at all. Why they don't recommend it, I don't know. But it works with no issues @ all so far.

Reactions: J.James
and a good example of them saying stupid stuff for legal reasons is there great advise with the p2 and p3 ,battery's when they say DO NOT SWALLOW or if you do the seek medical attention. lol WHAT.

Actually my ex-girlfriend could swallow a DJI Battery with no issues. Impressive.. Gosh, I miss her everyday...

Can the 100w charger charge the controller faster then the 57w charger?

Hummmmmm Good question. Tho off hand I cant say being I only have a 100w charger and also only charged my controller about 5 or 6 times so far and have yet to do a from fully flat to full charge yet. Tho it seems to take its charge at a pretty low charge rate even with the 100w charger with out with out a battery also plugged in. Ive also yet to get a good judgment of how long it takes being it usually takes so long that it will be going and going and so I'd leave it and a few hours later will notice its been done and siting there waiting.

Something to consider if you plan on keeping your drone in the air constantly -- you could get 4 batteries and 3 100W chargers and fly all day. Just keep charging them on a rotation.

* Fly on Battery1 for 20 minutes
* Charge Battery1 for 60 minutes while Battery2 flies then charges, Battery3 flies then charges, Battery4 flies then charges (3 batteries = 60 minutes).
* Battery1 ready to go again

Rarely do you need to charge the controller and flight battery at the same time. The controller battery last about 10-20 flights.

Something to consider if you plan on keeping your drone in the air constantly -- you could get 4 batteries and 3 100W chargers and fly all day. Just keep charging them on a rotation.

* Fly on Battery1 for 20 minutes
* Charge Battery1 for 60 minutes while Battery2 flies then charges, Battery3 flies then charges, Battery4 flies then charges (3 batteries = 60 minutes).
* Battery1 ready to go again

It was my understanding you have to let the spent battery cool down before tossing on the charger. Maybe I am wrong on this? When I get back from flying, I will usually set my batteries on a floor vent for a few to bring their temp back down to room temp before starting to charge them again.

Still if one had 4 chargers, you no doubt are charging fast!

Of course, you'd need to have a power source handy to make it work. Even so, having 4 batteries to give you 1 hour 20 minutes flight time in an outing is pretty nice.

It was my understanding you have to let the spent battery cool down before tossing on the charger. Maybe I am wrong on this? When I get back from flying, I will usually set my batteries on a floor vent for a few to bring their temp back down to room temp before starting to charge them again.

Hmmm, need to look into this. This I had not considered. If you find any more info on this, I'd be very interested. Thanks for replying.

If you pull it directly from the bird, I'd let it sit 15-20 min as they are pretty warm right after flight. I always just make sure they aren't hot or very warm before charging just to be on the safe side since these cells can be finicky

Hmmm, need to look into this. This I had not considered. If you find any more info on this, I'd be very interested. Thanks for replying.
The battery will not accept a charge if it is still too warm. You will see the 3rd/4th led flashing when this is the case.

So basically to be on the safe side you need 5 batteries lol

Fly battery 2 while 1 cools and when 2 is finished plug 1 in and fly battery 3 while 2 cools and carry on lol

The battery will not accept a charge if it is still too warm. You will see the 3rd/4th led flashing when this is the case.

Confirmed as true on my end. So my previous rotation for flying "all day" won't work unless you add a 5th battery to the mix to make up for cool down time.

I wonder if you could speed up this process slightly by putting a "hot" battery into a small cooler with one of those frozen ice packs. It would still be a gradual cool down, just quicker. It just needs to get back to the correct temperature to charge, correct?

Confirmed as true on my end. So my previous rotation for flying "all day" won't work unless you add a 5th battery to the mix to make up for cool down time.

I wonder if you could speed up this process slightly by putting a "hot" battery into a small cooler with one of those frozen ice packs. It would still be a gradual cool down, just quicker. It just needs to get back to the correct temperature to charge, correct?

Correct.

I have 5 batteries and they are enough to keep me flying pretty much all day, allowing for drinks/lunch breaks, toilet breaks , checking google earth for ground elevations, reviewing footage ,planning missions, etc.etc.

I have seen RC racing car 'pilots' seal their batteries in plastic bags and dunking them in buckets of ice to cool them down. I don't know enough to even speculate how long those batteries are going to last, but I suppose during a race that is the last thing on their minds!

Thread bump... I have a P3A and had an opportunity this month to grab a P3P's 100 Watt charger for a rather paltry sum of money, so I jumped on it. I'm gonna speak about my observations so far as well as comment on a few prior posts.

So yeah, my P3A's stock charger is rated for [up to -- more on that in a moment] 57 Watts and the P3P charger is rated for 100 Watts. If the battery pack's integral charging circuit was designed to draw the entire 100 Watts, that would drop charge time over 40%, right? Well, apparently not. My pack (yeah, only one right now but that's being fixed today) charges from 10% in upwards in 75-80 minutes and with the 100 Watt charger last night, it still took 58 minutes. So the good news it's still around a 25% improvement, which helps when you're in a hurry and losing daylight and patience.

The bad news is that 100 Watt P3P brick is HEAVY. Those inclined to think it's just DJI's budget decision to use a 57 Watt brick on the P3S/P3A may not be entirely wrong but carrying around the extra weight might also be something that was only tolerated by the higher-end buyers in focus groups. Just putting that out there.

Given how slowly the remote controller charges with respect to the size of its battery, I can't imagine how the 100 Watt charger could possibly improve charging time. But those who quickly dismiss the RC's typical battery capacity should also remember that if your tablet or phone is low on battery, the RC may wind up supplying charging power!

I should put an ammeter between the charger and the pack next time, to get some real numbers. DJI's insistence that customers should not simultaneously charge the RC and a battery pack, especially if you have a 100 Watt charger, from an electrical engineering point of view seems silly in light of the 15% gap in power capacity versus draw that I'm seeing. With the 57 Watt brick it is conceivable that the total power draw could be bumping up against the limit of the brick and might wear it out prematurely, or could alter the charging curve of the batteries and result in less than optimal performance over time. It is possible that DJI believes customers won't distinguish between the different chargers, and chooses to play it safe.

Cool-downs... I think think there's anything hugely wrong with the bag in a bucket of ice approach if the bag is sealed well. Hanging the battery in front of a car/truck AC vent for five minutes works quickly enough. I have been known to use nearby convenience store refrigeration. Don't freeze the battery! It only takes a couple of minutes to cool down sufficiently. Here's the thing, though... the resulting condensation from rapid temperature changes could wind up being harmful to the electronics after a while. The question is whether condensation screws things up before the batteries themselves wear out.

About electricity... A Watt is a measurement of power. With a power supply, that number is the amount of power that the unit is able to supply. With a load device that number is the amount of power that the device requires from the power source. A traditional 100 Watt light bulb for example, consumes 100 Watts during operation but the wall socket you plug the lamp into is probably capable of supplying upwards of 1800 Watts.

So the P3P's power supply doesn't "put out" 100 Watts the moment you plug it in. It puts out 17.5 Volts (according to the markings). It is rated to reliably put out that voltage, give or take some design tolerance, at up to a 5.7 Ampere current demand from the attached load. 17.5 Volts x 5.7 Amps is 99.75 (nee 100) Watts. The P3S/P3A supply is rated 17.4 Volts x 3.3 Amps = 57.42 Watts. Note, I'm seeing 17.41 Volts coming out of that P3P supply with no load.

PS, these chargers (which are just run of the mill "switching" type power supplies) work just fine even on cheapo 12V car inverters. For best results I recommend choosing an inverter with at least 25% more capacity than you plan to draw.

Last edited:
Having read through the posts - think its time to clear up some points :

a) DJI chargers are dumb regulated power bricks. They supply 17.5V and that's it. They have no fancy circuitry as in usual LiPo chargers.
b) The 57W 'Standard' charger has no provision for charging RC as that is charged by any mobile phone adaptor - being it has a mini USB charge port.
c) The 100W Pro charger has an RC charge lead as well as flight battery charge lead and BOTH put out 17.5V. The RC charge lead powers the internal regulator in the RC which then drops the voltage to the required 2S LiPo value of 8.5V.
d) It is recc'd not to charge RC and AC packs same time by DJI. No explanation given.
e) None of the chargers are able to perform a full balancing format. The battery charge control board is reported to look after that - but in fact only partially balances. It detects total desired voltage and shuts off charge.

What does this mean ?

1. There is no sophisticated charging going on at all. The chargers supply their rated output and the board in front of battery shuts of charge at the 17.4V level.
2. Virtually no balancing occurs, you can only approach such by repeated top-up charging by switching on battery and plugging in again. This is different to a normal LiPo where chargers enter in to balancing phase before cutting out and this can be nearly as long as bulk charging time.
3. Even if you use a programmable LiPo charger - you cannot force the battery into balancing phase because of the control board fitted to it. To use a common LiPo charger - max settings are : 4S, High Voltage LiPo, 5A on basic charge mode without balance lead.

The advantage of the 100W vs the 57W ... a short difference in total charge time and ability to charge the 2S battery in the Pro controller. Note that the Standard has only a 1S battery and mini USB port.

Nigel

57W charger with the Standard P3 has no controller charge lead ... well mine hasn't !! Only the 100W Pro charger has this.

Edit : The Adv appears to have a 57W with RC charge lead - as it has the same controller as Pro.

Nigel

Last edited:
Having read through the posts - think its time to clear up some points :

a) DJI chargers are dumb regulated power bricks. They supply 17.5V and that's it. They have no fancy circuitry as in usual LiPo chargers.
b) The 57W 'Standard' charger has no provision for charging RC as that is charged by any mobile phone adaptor - being it has a mini USB charge port.
c) The 100W Pro charger has an RC charge lead as well as flight battery charge lead and BOTH put out 17.5V. The RC charge lead powers the internal regulator in the RC which then drops the voltage to the required 2S LiPo value of 8.5V.
d) It is recc'd not to charge RC and AC packs same time by DJI. No explanation given.
e) None of the chargers are able to perform a full balancing format. The battery charge control board is reported to look after that - but in fact only partially balances. It detects total desired voltage and shuts off charge.

What does this mean ?

1. There is no sophisticated charging going on at all. The chargers supply their rated output and the board in front of battery shuts of charge at the 17.4V level.
2. Virtually no balancing occurs, you can only approach such by repeated top-up charging by switching on battery and plugging in again. This is different to a normal LiPo where chargers enter in to balancing phase before cutting out and this can be nearly as long as bulk charging time.
3. Even if you use a programmable LiPo charger - you cannot force the battery into balancing phase because of the control board fitted to it. To use a common LiPo charger - max settings are : 4S, High Voltage LiPo, 5A on basic charge mode without balance lead.

The advantage of the 100W vs the 57W ... a short difference in total charge time and ability to charge the 2S battery in the Pro controller. Note that the Standard has only a 1S battery and mini USB port.

Nigel
Slow down there, Nigel.

My 57 Watt charger that came with my P3A as well as the 100 Watt charger for the P3P both have coaxial plugs for charging the RC (split off from the heavier cable and connector for the AC batteries) and the RC for my P3A has a little rubber covered coaxial socket for that purpose.

Perhaps along with the P3S earlier versions of the other P3s were different. But I promise you the 57 Watt brick with my P3A has that RC charging lead and my RC has the socket for it.

I maintain that DJI's recommendation might have merit with the 57 W charger but not so much with the 100 W charger at least from a power point of view. Being dumb bricks, there should not be any issues with electrical noise, etc.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj