500m limit cracked yet? Not buying P3 before.

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's not cracked and it probably never will be. The height restriction is hard-coded in the firmware, and the flight controller portion of the firmware is encrypted. The first step would be to figure out how to decrypt it, but that could take months.

I believe that was a multiple bird strike issue and a once in a blue moon problem. I've posted the video before, but those engines are tested by throwing raw chickens and turkeys into them and they are required to keep functioning. Do you think this piece of plastic is going to have a larger impact than a 15lb turkey?

I believe that was a multiple bird strike issue and a once in a blue moon problem. I've posted the video before, but those engines are tested by throwing raw chickens and turkeys into them and they are required to keep functioning. Do you think this piece of plastic is going to have a larger impact than a 15lb turkey?

What about a small plane like a Cessna? Airliners aren't the only concern.

Enjoy your restriction-less flying while you can ladies and gentlemen. You're in the presence of the very people who will ruin it for us all. It only takes one mishap, anywhere in the world.

And if you think it is highly improbable, you need a lesson in both statistics and humans.

Yes, really. Hitting a plane would be about as likely as winning the lottery jackpot, even less probable. And even if a plane would ram into a phantom, what kind of damage would it do? Few scratches on the paint job at most. These things hit massive birds all the time and nothing happens.
As a certificated pilot, I can tell you that's absolutely not true. While the aircraft would most likely be able to land safely, you're looking at thousands of dollars to have the engine torn down and inspected to make sure there's no internal damage. A rule of thumb in aviation is that if you prop strikes anything harder than a loaf of bread while the engine is running, it needs a full inspection.

Reactions: emoney609
I did run into an issue where the height restriction was unnecessary at the base of a hill/mountain. At 400 feet, I was only 75-100 feet above the ground below the quad and almost considered attempting to land it and restart it to reset "ground" because I couldn't get the shot I wanted. In that case the restriction seemed excessive. Not sure if the sonar on the bird could help overcome this, especially when you're clearly so close to the ground, although your starting point was lower. Having to climb a freaking mountain to get video of that mountain is pretty annoying in that case.

Enjoy your restriction-less flying while you can ladies and gentlemen. You're in the presence of the very people who will ruin it for us all. It only takes one mishap, anywhere in the world.

And if you think it is highly improbable, you need a lesson in both statistics and humans.

People wreck cars in the US doing in excess of 100mph all the time... but they still make them and you're still free to do so if you have the chance. Why would/should a toy be any different? Someone in Alaska should be able to go 600 feet legally as the air traffic is pretty scarce.

People that want to responsibly go over 400 feet are not going to "ruin it" for you. A moron who wants to see how close he can get to an airplane will.

and here we go.... 5 posts per hr on this thread....

popcorn_zpsd727wohr.gif

Yes, but a bird doesnt have metal inside of it, not to mention a LiPo. I'm not an expert, but I doubt they throw a battery at the engine in testing.

Reactions: Adam Kontras
It's not cracked and it probably never will be. The height restriction is hard-coded in the firmware, and the flight controller portion of the firmware is encrypted. The first step would be to figure out how to decrypt it, but that could take months.

Its all ready been cracked and very easy to do, don't know if it can be done on the new 1.1.9 and i really really hope it cant. Not a big fan of silly altitude flights.

even smaller target, much slower moving, greatly decreasing the odds of a collision.

So as the person on the ground flying a UAV you're willing to take the risk? Should the decision be in the hands of the individual drone pilot? What do the people on the plane have to say?

I am new to all of this and while I understand the sentiment of not ruining things for others, additional laws/regulations are not the answer either. Where does it ever end with laws and someone else telling you how to live your life and what you can and can't do. As with anything (cars, guns, drugs, how to raise kids, etc, etc) there doesn't need to be more laws, but people do need to be held responsible for any and all instances in which they are at fault for damages, including the potential loss of life. There are many more statistical means to hurt, maim, and potentially kill people and/or damage property than flying a quad. Forcing limits, especially when there isn't a law about it seems a bit over the top for me.

With that being said, I am not the guy who has to push the envelope of everything. 500 meters is more than enough for my personal use, but I have no negative opinions about those who want to fly over that height. I only have a negative opinion about those who act irresponsibly based on the circumstances. Every situation is different.

I may be mistaken, but your average 15lb turkey doesn't have a 400 gram explosive lipo battery shoved up it's arse?

The end result of turbofan ingestion will look rather different.

Reactions: emoney609
I am new to all of this and while I understand the sentiment of not ruining things for others, additional laws/regulations are not the answer either. Where does it ever end with laws and someone else telling you how to live your life and what you can and can't do. As with anything (cars, guns, drugs, how to raise kids, etc, etc) there doesn't need to be more laws, but people do need to be held responsible for any and all instances in which they are at fault for damages, including the potential loss of life. There are many more statistical means to hurt, maim, and potentially kill people and/or damage property than flying a quad. Forcing limits, especially when there isn't a law about it seems a bit over the top for me.

With that being said, I am not the guy who has to push the envelope of everything. 500 meters is more than enough for my personal use, but I have no negative opinions about those who want to fly over that height. I only have a negative opinion about those who act irresponsibly based on the circumstances. Every situation is different.
How about requiring pilots to have a license or certification? Seems pretty obvious to me we have no choice but to go down this route. I would HAPPILY pay for certification to prove to those around me that I'm qualified and to keep reckless people monitored and documented.

Where does it ever end with laws and someone else telling you how to live your life and what you can and can't do. As with anything (cars, guns, drugs, how to raise kids, etc, etc) there doesn't need to be more laws, but people do need to be held responsible for any and all instances in which they are at fault for damages, including the potential loss of life.

Isn't this similar to saying there should be no speed limit when you drive, but boy, if you hit and kill someone you'll be in big trouble?? Problem is you'll be in trouble, but that's only after someone's been killed or hurt because of what you did. Freedom to do whatever you want is great, but I think that when you put others in danger there have to be some rules. Perhaps you have common sense, but not all people do.

Reactions: Adam Kontras
So as the person on the ground flying a UAV you're willing to take the risk? Should the decision be in the hands of the individual drone pilot? What do the people on the plane have to say?

No different than speeding behind the wheel of a car. I'm intelligent enough to know when I can and can't, based on experience. Rainy in a backup, isn't a good time, but a sunny day and the only car on the road... go for it.

How about requiring pilots to have a license or certification? Seems pretty obvious to me we have no choice but to go down this route. I would HAPPILY pay for certification to prove to those around me that I'm qualified and to keep reckless people monitored and documented.

For a toy? I guess you'd be in favor of background checks to buy a BB Gun too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31