500 meter limit altitude hack

Status
Not open for further replies.
Really nice footage at Tom's Thumb after you break the crest. Like the music. What is it?

On Flytrex there is a whole set of "Diver" badges for when you fly below your takeoff point. http://www.flytrex.com/badges/
Thanks for that -- somehow Flytrex has escaped my radar until now. I have no idea how their flight technology stacks up, but they sure know how to leverage the power of community with great online features. Clearly they are taking that lead from the best multiplayer videogames with leaderboards, Challenges, Rewards and Badges -- very savvy.

Thanks for that -- somehow Flytrex has escaped my radar until now. I have no idea how their flight technology stacks up, but they sure know how to leverage the power of community with great online features. Clearly they are taking that lead from the best multiplayer videogames with leaderboards, Challenges, Rewards and Badges -- very savvy.
Just one more thing DJI could learn. Haha

Reactions: rickeyfitts
I'm new to this. I'm seeing all types of bad PR on CNN and other news channels about drones. I hate too be starting out in this wonderful field and have all my privileges taken away because some ******* bragging on how they broke the rules. I'm flying for a business. Do what you want, just don't tell the world.

I think the FAA is pretty clear when they say 400 AGL. It means the Phanton should be flying no more than 400 feet over the ground! It does not matter where the Remote Controller is, what matters is where the Phantom is! If you take off from a certain point and fly the Phantom the way the first video is showing and get not more than 400 Above Ground Level, you are good to go, IMO!

Reactions: bobmyers
I think the FAA is pretty clear when they say 400 AGL. It means the Phanton should be flying no more than 400 feet over the ground! It does not matter where the Remote Controller is, what matters is where the Phantom is! If you take off from a certain point and fly the Phantom the way the first video is showing and get not more than 400 Above Ground Level, you are good to go, IMO!

Of course that HAS to be true, otherwise no one who lives more than 400' above sea level could ever fly a drone. ;-) Seems to me that anyone flying commerically should have a complete understanding of the regulations.

I'm new to this. I'm seeing all types of bad PR on CNN and other news channels about drones. I hate too be starting out in this wonderful field and have all my privileges taken away because some ******* bragging on how they broke the rules. I'm flying for a business. Do what you want, just don't tell the world.
To some of these folks, they are not in any business and they want the thrill is to see high, how far, and how many people and buildings they can fly over. The average 'joe" can put a Phantom in the air and be "immersed" in the act of flying where the birds fly. They do not have to have a lot of technical knowledge to get it in the air. It basically comes out of the box, ready to fly.

Will it hurt the reputation of drone flying-- yes-- it already has--- will it cause more laws and regulations to be enacted-- yes, happening every day-- How much it hurts and restricts the hobby-- no one knows yet-- stay tuned.

Those are awesome shots man. It always fascinates me how some of this stuff is formed. We have one row of mountains that looks like a big wedge - for probably 50+ kms, the West face looks like it's so smooth up a couple thousand feet. I'll see if I have a photo somewhere.

Never had a GPS issue in these mountains, but there are a few more canyons I want to explore that could be a little tight. The only time I had GPS issues was on a ridge above one lake on this shot. I think I was around 7 or 8 satellites when I took off, but obviously got more as I flew out, then dropped a couple when I cam in to land at the end. Fast forward to 3:50.

Amazing scenery! The Canadian Rockies are so spectacular! So different from around here.

acherman, do you have problems with GPS or losing signal with all those trees and in those narrow canyons?

Here in Arizona we have an abundance of wide open spaces and no trees to worry about (at least down here in the desert). Here is my latest video. The 500 meter limit wasn't an issue with this particular mountain as it was only 1200 vertical feet up from the parking lot.

Chris, did you shoot the Supers and the Thumb with with one battery each or did you have multiple flights? I live in Gilbert and have been wanting to head up to the Supers and get some video.

Chris, did you shoot the Supers and the Thumb with with one battery each or did you have multiple flights? I live in Gilbert and have been wanting to head up to the Supers and get some video.
I have 3 batteries. The Supers were shot with 2. When doing these long flights a lot of the energy is spent on getting to the target and then getting home. Toms Thumb was only a mile away so it takes about 2 minutes out and 2 minutes back. I try and keep my flights down to about 15 minutes of safe flying time. I'm still pretty much an amateur at smooth clean flying and so there is a lot of video that ends up on the digital cutting room floor. It is tricky because I am using the video for both vidography and to pilot the P3. That means much of the video is me looking around assessing the best angles etc.

Here is a video of Mt. McDowell that is a combination of three separate days of flights over 3 weeks. It is 2 miles out and 1500 feet up to the summit so it is really pushing it.

Last edited:
Reactions: P3ChinaSkies
I'm still pretty much an amateur at smooth clean flying and so there is a lot of video that ends up on the digital cutting room floor. It is tricky because I am using the video for both vidography and to pilot the P3. That means much of the video is me looking around assessing the best angles etc.
I hear that! I think that's most of us. Haha

I have 3 batteries. The Supers were shot with 2. When doing these long flights a lot of the energy is spent on getting to the target and then getting home. Toms Thumb was only a mile away so it takes about 2 minutes out and 2 minutes back. I try and keep my flights down to about 15 minutes of safe flying time. I'm still pretty much an amateur at smooth clean flying and so there is a lot of video that ends up on the digital cutting room floor. It is tricky because I am using the video for both vidography and to pilot the P3. That means much of the video is me looking around assessing the best angles etc.

Here is a video of Mt. McDowell that is a combination of three separate days of flights over 3 weeks. It is 2 miles out and 1400 feet up to the summit so it is really pushing it.
Damm, you must have steel ones. I have not let mine fly out that far yet. Plus in the summer time it s too stinking hot out there.

Damm, you must have steel ones. I have not let mine fly out that far yet. Plus in the summer time it s too stinking hot out there.

Life is about taking calculated risks. Each time I fly way out into the desert I know there is a chance something catastrophic might happen and I will lose my bird. But after about 100 flights I have gained confidence in what it can do.

Last edited:

Here is a video of Mt. McDowell that is a combination of three separate days of flights over 3 weeks. It is 2 miles out and 1400 feet up to the summit so it is really pushing it.

Awesome scenery and great footage! This is the kind of stuff that motivated me to get the Phantom. What I like the best is that this type of videography you can not do on foot, from a real helicopter or a fixed wing airplane!

Reactions: Chris Vedeler
Status
Not open for further replies.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Johnboy94