500 meter limit altitude hack

Status
Not open for further replies.
On Flytrex there is a whole set of "Diver" badges for when you fly below your takeoff point. http://www.flytrex.com/badges/
This was the best I could do. -445m/1460' from the home point. I maybe could have gotten another meter out of it. Haha
ImageUploadedByPhantomPilots - DJI Phantom Forum1440619978.027553.jpg

Reactions: SENC and nhoover
Wow! Almost 1500' below the home point. That's the most I've ever seen. Nice! Now that Flytrex supports native P3 .txt files (from the mobile device) you could create a free account there and upload this for everyone to see.

Wow! Almost 1500' below the home point. That's the most I've ever seen. Nice! Now that Flytrex supports native P3 .txt files (from the mobile device) you could create a free account there and upload this for everyone to see.
Good to know. I need more time to mess around with those free online tools like Flytrex, HealthDrones, and..... crap, what's the other one for viewing your flight data and possibly overlaying on the FPV? Damnit. My mind went blank.

acherman, do you plan your flights ahead of time or just play it by ear once you get out there?

I usually plan my long flights out on Google Earth trying to anticipate any possible issue. So far it has kept me out of trouble as I know how high things are and how far away they are before even taking off. Knowing the limits of the bird help with planing on time and distance.

I know my distance limit is 5km or 3 miles. I know the P3 climbs at 5m/s and descends at 3m/s and I know I want to keep my batteries above 20% most of the time meaning my total flight time shouldn't be much longer than 15 minutes.

I'm looking at a mountain fly over I want to do on Google Earth. It is 2.6 miles from where I can safely and legally park and rises 2300 feet or 700 meters from that point so would be my first actually need for this hack.

Plan my flights? You're out of your mind. haha :D Once in a while, like this flight above, I do. I've flown there a bunch of times, been working at that site for ~20 years, so I know it well. 9 flights out of 10, I'm driving and see a spot that I want to fly and park and fly. That's how I get stuck half way up to a set of waterfalls. haha

You are a brave man acherman to do those flights of yours with all those trees, canyons and cliffs by the seat of your pants. People think I have steel ones!

This is what I do, also taking into account time of day, shadows and sun angle:
Thompsonpeak_Plan.jpg

You are a brave man acherman to do those flights of yours with all those trees, canyons and cliffs by the seat of your pants. People think I have steel ones!

This is what I do, also taking into account time of day, shadows and sun angle:
Oh wow! That's a lot of planning. But, makes sense to protect your investment. Maybe one day I'll plan those, but for now, my stuff is mostly random. I'll post the video from the -445m later tonight.

To stay on topic, I wonder if there is a negative limit, if I could have gotten to -500m. This was just an easy spot to drive too about 25 minutes away. Plus, there's a locked forestry gate at the bottom, so there isn't random public up there (but there is a hiking trail). Quite a nice place. Forestry fire lookout too.

I think even with your great planning, you've got the big "kahonies" Chris! (I'm sure that not spelt correctly....). I long to fly like you and Acherman. Here in China, I've got to be on WIFI zone just to be able to download a map of the area I am presently in and that involves a VPN connection since Google and their maps are barred from China Internet. Even then, after I can get a map, they are most of the time 2-3 year old satellite images so flying in urban areas is acrobatic because even though you have a map there may be a new 50 story building in your flight path that is not indicated on your map!

Flyrex log display is pretty cool. Just uploaded 8 flights for fun. Knocked off 28 badges right away. haha I love the max speeds that it shows. My max is 101.39 km/hr - 63 mph. Sweet. must have been a good tail wind.

Nice flights. 28 badges in 8 flights. I have 38 but with over 300 flights LOL. I've been using the site for over a year and a half - the contests are fun too. I haven't had my P3P over 60mph yet but my old P2V hit 69.6 once.

Back on topic about 500m, these guys have a way to exceed 500m (their video shows a test that failed but at the end it shows how they could succeed).

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I saw that. Foxtech sent out their newsletter with that in it and I just had to watch. I commented the YouTube video to do exactly what he says at the end. I've seen that done before - with the platform. But that's not something I'm taking hiking with me. haha

These mountain summits were 2.6 miles (4.2km) away from where I could park with the summits 2300 feet above take off. This is a case and point where the 500 meter limit is simply inadequate. I set my maximum altitude to 2500 feet (762 meters) in Litchi and then launched DJI Go. To keep my flights under 15 minutes I couldn't spend much time up at the summit, and these flights were mostly just a test to make sure the Phantom performed as expected in these extreme conditions before I go into much more picturesque but difficult terrain.

Reactions: acherman
These mountain summits were 2.6 miles (4.2km) away from where I could park with the summits 2300 feet above take off. This is a case and point where the 500 meter limit is simply inadequate. I set my maximum altitude to 2500 feet (762 meters) in Litchi and then launched DJI Go. To keep my flights under 15 minutes I couldn't spend much time up at the summit, and these flights were mostly just a test to make sure the Phantom performed as expected in these extreme conditions before I go into much more picturesque but difficult terrain.
So now i need an Android device? Haha

Here is my -445m flight with the telemetry. Way too many steps to get this.

I live right along the continental divide in Colorado with the Gore Range behind my house and Eagle's Nest Wildlife Area in my back yard. Peaks there average about 13,500 feet ASL I live at 8000 ASL. You do the math. I need about 5500 feet AGL if I plan on a summit trip. Of course most planes flying in my airspace are quite a bit higher than the peaks around, unless they are flying through the valleys and that would be a bit nerve wracking for a pilot and passengers I would think.

Reactions: huntjock

Wow! Impressive. I just know I would crash my P3 into a tree if I were up there.

I live right along the continental divide in Colorado with the Gore Range behind my house and Eagle's Nest Wildlife Area in my back yard. Peaks there average about 13,500 feet ASL I live at 8000 ASL. You do the math. I need about 5500 feet AGL if I plan on a summit trip. Of course most planes flying in my airspace are quite a bit higher than the peaks around, unless they are flying through the valleys and that would be a bit nerve wracking for a pilot and passengers I would think.
That would be quite a feat! It would take you 6 minutes up and 9 minutes down to go 5500 vertical feet. That doesn't leave much battery left for much else. Also I doubt the P3 would have the same kind of performance at altitude.

That's a great flight!! The top of the video is cut off on my screen. Maybe did you let youtube "fix" shakiness? You shouldn't do that is you have any overlays on the video.

Chris loved the video of Superstion Mountain. Commercial aircraft in that area are several thousand feet above the mountain peek. But I was wonder for my own info from take off ground level to the top of the mountain peek what was the altitude and not the above sea level actual height from base to top. Did look to be over 400 ft. Just wondering?

That's a great flight!! The top of the video is cut off on my screen. Maybe did you let youtube "fix" shakiness? You shouldn't do that is you have any overlays on the video.
Yah, what the hell, I didn't notice that. The video was super smooth (had the SRP ND8 filter on) so I'm sure I did have YouTube stabalize. I'll have to check and reupload.

RoyVa, the vertical cliff of the Superstitions rise up about 900 feet and in that video I hit the 500 meter limit and couldn't clear the ridge. The "stay below 400 feet" rule is there to keep us from interfering with piloted aircraft. The FAA has a rule that aircraft must stay "2000 feet above all ridges and passes along the route" when flying near mountains. When I'm flying 100 feet away from a 900 foot high sheer cliff there is no way I'm a danger to other aircraft.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers