5 SECOND video lag with DJI RE Goggles and P4 Pro!?!?

The controller has a mini USB but not HDMI. The USB can go straight to the goggles but you still have to start off with a phone to avoid beginner mode, which is kind of ridiculous. I did get the DJI diopters and they work great, BTW. That is one thing that is positive. The goggles are still not impressing me though. If I could find an Android VR with decent optics I would rather it over these goggles. That way I could actually RUN the DJI software on the device instead of have to use my phone first. That is also the cause of the huge delay. These goggles don't display the way a phone, tablet or other VR device does. They must run video through some weird relay because it is laggy as hell..

Reactions: Enal
So you’re going to run an android device strapped to your face? Wonder how controlling the screen works that way?

What you need is an HDMI adapter module for your RC not a usb hdmi converter. That won’t work. The module allows you to see a view of your flight and still have a phone or tablet in the cradle for control. The lag you are experiencing is using the goggles as a tablet thru usb which in effect they are. The goggles run a version of the DJI Go app in the goggles when used with USB.

I know that there is no such thing as a USB to HDMI converter. I also get the fact that the goggles are acting as a "tablet" when connected and that they are running some odd version of the DJI software. The problem is IF I used a tablet or a phone via USB I could actually start with the same device, not hot swap a cable to the goggles after starting up the aircraft. The main issue I have is that the official DJI Goggles are the most incompatible device I have ever used. 1) They cannot be used unless you start with a phone or tablet first. 2) I have never experienced lag this bad on a phone or tablet unless I forgot to shut down other apps, etc. 3) I have only flown with them a few times and have NEVER had a good experience yet. The video feed froze (telemetry was still working fine) twice last time I used them. The only fix was to totally reboot the goggles while my drone was hovering somewhere in the distance. These goggles have no other apps and are made specifically for what I am doing so they should be rock solid. If I have to buy a HDMI board for yet another $100 on top of the $549 I already spent then what is the advantage? I may as well go back to my homemade goggles that act as phone holder and use 8x reading glasses to view my phone screen a few inches from my face. It was front heavy and kind of uncomfortable but the view was great and since I used my phone, it worked perfect and there was the normal acceptable phone latency. I decided to treat myself and buy the most expensive thing there is, the REAL DJI Racing Edition Goggles. I am past the Amazon return period so I am going to try and figure this out, but I honestly wish I had just added better optics to the MagicSee M1 all-in-one VR viewer I sold. It ran DJI GO4 perfectly with no lag and had 2K resolution. It just had no IPD or focus adjustments and crappy lenses.

I honestly think these SHOULD work great but cannot figure out what the problem is. I have updated all firmware on everything and have used multiple USB cables.

Wish I could offer a solution. I opted for the HDMI route from the start because controlling everything with s touchpad was infuriating plus the hook up Phone or tablet first BS wasn’t gonna happen.

I get the frustration. All your points are totally valid. And I know telling to to try the hdmi module isn’t great. More money.

Hi,
I've been following these posts hoping there's a solution, I'm having exactly the same problem (P4P) and I'm stuck with
a very expensive dud. It's a lag of about 3 seconds for me and takes all the fun out of using them.
The 'hot' switching is a nuisance too!
I did find this on the DJI forum for someone else with the same issue.:
Thanks for getting back to us. Make sure all units connected well, click Toolbox on the Goggles>HD icon>Liveview Formate Setting>Smooth Mode/HD Mode/Normal Mode to check whether there is any difference.
I haven't tried this yet but I'll give it a whirl next time I'm out - fingers crossed.
She also said the problem had been reported to DJI engineers.

Hi,
I've been following these posts hoping there's a solution, I'm having exactly the same problem (P4P) and I'm stuck with
a very expensive dud. It's a lag of about 3 seconds for me and takes all the fun out of using them.
The 'hot' switching is a nuisance too!
I did find this on the DJI forum for someone else with the same issue.:
Thanks for getting back to us. Make sure all units connected well, click Toolbox on the Goggles>HD icon>Liveview Formate Setting>Smooth Mode/HD Mode/Normal Mode to check whether there is any difference.
I haven't tried this yet but I'll give it a whirl next time I'm out - fingers crossed.
She also said the problem had been reported to DJI engineers.
I just received my RE goggles a few days ago and briefly used it on my p4po on the ground and did not experience noticeable latency. I will try it again when I get home. I am still getting use to the options and have not flown with the p4po yet. I should be able to notice a 3 seconds delay. Thanks for the post.

I did the test and I too have the problem. I get the lag when switching through the live view modes. I have to reboot mine to go back to normal. More test tomorrow. Too tired and disappointed.

I did the test and I too have the problem. I get the lag when switching through the live view modes. I have to reboot mine to go back to normal. More test tomorrow. Too tired and disappointed.
Did more test today and as long as I dont switch live view mode, the lag is not noticeable. For my test, I place my hand in front of camera and do finger movements. If movements matches what i see on camera then good enough for me. If I want to use other live view modes then I just set that view mode to default and reboot. Something I would not do mid flight. Checking for lag is now on my pre flight checklist.

I have lag as well, updated to the latest firmware using most recent assistant 2. Doesnt seem to lag when close but going more than 50 m away (maybe even less) starts to lag.

I just played around with it a little more, I tried changing settings and using a different cable. The lag seems to occur after changing any settings but unplugging the cable in plugging it back in to the controller seems to fix the problem. I was able to fly 1/2 mile away in 1080p without lag.

I just played around with it a little more, I tried changing settings and using a different cable. The lag seems to occur after changing any settings but unplugging the cable in plugging it back in to the controller seems to fix the problem. I was able to fly 1/2 mile away in 1080p without lag.

I guess that is a fix worth trying, but it is just another hack. I had better experience flying with my DIY jerry rig setup with a phone in an extended VR viewer with 8X reading glasses. I TRULY REGRET buying the DJI RE goggles. I had NO lag and great performance from a cheap all-in-one android VR device. The only reason I switched to DJI goggles was for better optics and the promise of cool integrated features, which is a joke since I cannot even get a good FPV experience with them and have to use a phone, then swap cables, etc, etc. I may just sell mine off.

Reactions: abreneliere
Sorry to launch an old thread...but I've seen there's been nearly a dozen firmware released through 2018 for the RE Goggles...the most recent this month.

Anyone else having issues with their P4P / P4P v2 or Obsidian?

RoOSTA

I have the RE and obsidian. I have intermittent video lags. I use the RE mainly with the M2Z. Have not seen lags yet but the M2Z is barely 2 weeks old.

You must first connect drone to phone as you normally would, then you disconnect phone and connect to the goggles! This must be done every time you use the goggles.

Reactions: roosta
(You must first connect drone to phone as you normally would, then you disconnect phone and connect to the goggles! This must be done every time you use the goggles)

.......and that is the reason I am not a fan of my goggles. I have literally used them for about 10 minutes total since purchasing them and will probably sell them since I don't use them or even my drone much lately.

So from what I've read here, I've just wasted $2,500 of money mainly saved for my pension every fortnight. I bought the Maivic pro Platinum the week before the new model released and 2 weeks later I bought the Goggles. I finally had what I thought was my dream come true. For the first few weeks the wind never let up and there was no way I was mad enough to fly in those conditions with a new quad. For the rest of the time I was in hospital. I even begged the hospital manager if I could fly in a small area behind the hospital, but she has some gate for "those new fangled, dangerous gadgets.

So here I am, just released on good behavior and read here I can't fly it anyway. Why? because I don't have a phone and having to pay $35 a week for sim card in my phone simply to switch on the Mavic is ridiculous. I haven't flown the darned thing yet and it looks like I never will. I saved a lot of that money out of what was left from my pension every 2 weeks and simply because I'm not mobile enough to use a mobile phone, I can't use my DJI gear.

Oh yes I bought a Apple Mini 2 for another $200 which I was told I wouldn't need if I had the goggles. I've mentioned this to my wife, my book keeper and she showed me the figures, forget about buying any sim card even if I don't use it to make phone calls. Where I fly in a park at the end of my street I can contact home via UHF CB and should anything happen all my wife has to do is push my medi alert button so I don't been a phone for that.
Thanks DJI, Just what I needed. I can't say I've ever seen anything on any packaging saying "A Mobile is necessary to fly this equipment" Can anyone tell me why a phone is needed? Is it some invasion of privacy matte. I already know where I am when I go flying, I don't need any software to remind me.

So from what I've read here, I've just wasted $2,500 of money mainly saved for my pension every fortnight. I bought the Maivic pro Platinum the week before the new model released and 2 weeks later I bought the Goggles. I finally had what I thought was my dream come true. For the first few weeks the wind never let up and there was no way I was mad enough to fly in those conditions with a new quad. For the rest of the time I was in hospital. I even begged the hospital manager if I could fly in a small area behind the hospital, but she has some gate for "those new fangled, dangerous gadgets.

So here I am, just released on good behavior and read here I can't fly it anyway. Why? because I don't have a phone and having to pay $35 a week for sim card in my phone simply to switch on the Mavic is ridiculous. I haven't flown the darned thing yet and it looks like I never will. I saved a lot of that money out of what was left from my pension every 2 weeks and simply because I'm not mobile enough to use a mobile phone, I can't use my DJI gear.

Oh yes I bought a Apple Mini 2 for another $200 which I was told I wouldn't need if I had the goggles. I've mentioned this to my wife, my book keeper and she showed me the figures, forget about buying any sim card even if I don't use it to make phone calls. Where I fly in a park at the end of my street I can contact home via UHF CB and should anything happen all my wife has to do is push my medi alert button so I don't been a phone for that.
Thanks DJI, Just what I needed. I can't say I've ever seen anything on any packaging saying "A Mobile is necessary to fly this equipment" Can anyone tell me why a phone is needed? Is it some invasion of privacy matte. I already know where I am when I go flying, I don't need any software to remind me.

1. You can fly without mobile device but with limited range. You have to login to DJIGO4 with the remote and mobile device to unlock range limit. You need cellular if you plan to fly outside of your home internet service.

2. Ipad mini 2 may work but may have unsatisfactory performance. Ask advice here on the forum before spending more money on this already expensive hobby.

3. DJI goggles or goggles are not for everyone. Some get dizzy using it. Be prepared for further disappointment. I can only fly with my DJI goggles for a few minutes and seating down.

4. Not all parks allow drones. Try an empty public ballpark. My mavic 2 has gone through 5 battery cycles on 3 batteries without going further than my front yard boundaries. Making sure my mavic 2 is not defective especially the batteries.

5. Try to relax when you fly! I find flying relaxing.

I get your angst. I also bought the goggles and am disappointed that I can do more with a cheap Chinese all in one VR AND have less video lag than with the DJI goggles. For me the goggles add a much higher data failure rate and absolutely add lag to the equation. I have only flown with mine about 3-4 times just trying to test them out and get used to them. I gave up pretty much on being able to have enjoyable flights with them. I need to get around to selling them.

I'm going to have another crack with RE and the obsidian on the next good-weather weekend and see how it goes. Very limiting indeed....cheaper knockoffers offering a lot more unrestrictive features.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic