5.8 vs 2.4 distance

The mod works in DG4. I have yet to even try 5.8. Probably never will.View attachment 81637
By mod, do you mean the 32 channel hack? What manual 2.4Ghz channel are you using in the channel hack on the P4P? I repeatedly got terrible results with the 32 channel hack and 2.4GHz on the P4P in a heavily urban area, same as the P4 without an antenna mod. By switching to Auto 5.8GHz on the completely stock P4P, I now easily get over 4+ miles away at 100' AGL and the P4P battery is the only limiting factor. No antenna mod necessary. Try Auto 5.8Ghz. I think you will like it, too! Range on both is supposed to be the same.

Reactions: Jeremiah Nelson
I did several runs right before that with the older p4 batteries. The last run with the older battery I got over 27,000ft. Conditions were just right so I used my p4p battery and went for it. I landed at home point with one percent. That was my last long distance run.
Impressive! :cool: Why was that your last long distance run? Time to quit while ahead? ;)

By mod, do you mean the 32 channel hack? What manual 2.4Ghz channel are you using in the channel hack on the P4P? I repeatedly got terrible results with the 32 channel hack and 2.4GHz on the P4P in a heavily urban area, same as the P4 without an antenna mod. By switching to Auto 5.8GHz on the completely stock P4P, I now easily get over 4+ miles away at 100' AGL and the P4P battery is the only limiting factor. No antenna mod necessary. Try Auto 5.8Ghz. I think you will like it, too! Range on both is supposed to be the same.
Yes, I use 5.8 exclusively now. I haven't done a long distance flight yet, maybe tomorrow since wind is forecasted to be 2 mph breeze. I will report back

Reactions: tak5501
Pretty much I love my p4p. I just wont risk a flight like that again its not worth it. Until the phantom 5 comes out anyway :)
Same here! Have you modded the RC to accept your external car antenna setup? What manual 2.4GHz channel have you had the best success with?

Paul at FPVCustoms.com now has a 2.4Ghz FPVLR mod and a battery mod created specificallly for the P4P, which look pretty clean and should safely support Jeremiah's 6+ mile P4P flight, but I would still love to see a 5.8Ghz mod, given the superior stock P4P performance in Auto 5.8Ghz. No one seems to want to try making one, as they are all just copying their P4 mods.

It's all about signal to noise ratio. In urban environments the noise floor is very high, especially on 2.4Ghz. Most companies rate their specs based on ideal environments which is basically the maximum capability. I don't think anyone can fault DJI for not meetings specs when the urban noise floor is extremely high. The transmitters are limited in power by regulation and range is limited due to S/N ratio. High gain antennas can raise this ratio, but your aim is more important when doing this. 5.8Ghz has less noise at this time and is a better option in urban environments. This is why the channel mod can help. Further you get away from the normal Wi-Fi bands the better.

Yes sorry I mean the 32 channel hack. I've see you have good luck on 5.8 but I run the L coms on channel 21 on 2.4 The flight was also a heavy urban area with a population of about 50,000. I've never used the stock transmitter. I've got an extra set of L-coms with magnetic bases if anyone wants them.

It's all about signal to noise ratio.
This. People like to focus on a few dB difference in RF output or antenna gain and while every bit helps a difference in the noise floor of 10-20 dB or more (which is quite possible) is going to swamp other considerations, and until this is understood then there will continue to be confusion over range reports. Unfortunately this factor cannot be quantified without both the proper (expensive) equipment and expertise, and neither is common.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Scav8tor