400 and BELOW!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
You would think the "makers" of these hobby craft and also their bigger builds would have a strong lobby presence on Capital Hill. I mean, after all is said and done, it "is" the money factor that will ultimately decide where this all falls out. When people stop buying them because they cannot fly them, their bottom line takes a big hit! Does anyone know if these companies have any such lobby groups?

Passenger jets don't 'manuver' around things... not like that. That's like saying aircraft carriers manuver around fish.
I'd have to disagree, airliners are pretty nimble. I was flying out of Atlanta (back in the '80's) and the pilot did an evasive pull-up on the yoke and immediately apologized to the passengers over the PA, telling us to look
out the starboard windows to see why... an Air National Guard F4 Phantom (no pun) trailing its usual thick black exhaust, decided to try to T-bone our airliner, so our pilot pulled up to avoid a collision. I'd estimate it was a 1g pull up maneuver.

I went to a park here in around Birmingham today and there was an attendant so I ask about for permission to fly and he said I was more than welcome. Got in his little golf cart and came out to watch. He told me weekend a gut came to fly and lost his bird out over the cliff and still has not found it. I'm new so I keep mine in site and practice controlling it using the iPad view.

400 feet is absurdly low for a restriction. Granted I'm generally never above that. But I will not support a 400 foot altitude restriction
You obviously don't hold a pilot certificate.

Reactions: Adam Kontras
You obviously don't hold a pilot certificate.
But, 'MURICA! It's my FREEDOM! I want my rights to fly in federal airspace without telling anyone! How dare the government take away my FREEDOM by taking that airspace!!! o_O

Reactions: Mal_PV2_Ireland
But, 'MURICA! It's my FREEDOM! I want my rights to fly in federal airspace without telling anyone! How dare the government take away my FREEDOM by taking that airspace!!! o_O

You can be condescending if you like, but please show me where anyone said that? You're just being obtuse now.

You can be condescending if you like, but please show me where anyone said that? You're just being obtuse now.
Really?

"I was born with my Rights. The gov't took them away with a piece of paper, without just cause, but no one challenged it... yet. The law needs to be changed, just like it was with radio waves and tv and the internet. As you quoted above "public airspace". Am I not the public? Allowances will need to be made as the hobby becomes more and more capable, not the other way around. " - damitjim

You think you have a right to invade federal airspace because you were BORN with the right, and the government took them away from you. <throws hands up> Thankfully the FAA is more powerful than you and they will handle this far better than you would. I can only imagine what your airspace would look like with you in charge. :eek:

emmy-tina-fey-amy-poehler-popcorn.gif

It is Saturday night after all ;)

Last edited:
Really?

"I was born with my Rights. The gov't took them away with a piece of paper, without just cause, but no one challenged it... yet. The law needs to be changed, just like it was with radio waves and tv and the internet. As you quoted above "public airspace". Am I not the public? Allowances will need to be made as the hobby becomes more and more capable, not the other way around. " - damitjim

You think you have a right to invade federal airspace because you were BORN with the right, and the government took them away from you. <throws hands up> Thankfully the FAA is more powerful than you and they will handle this far better than you would. I can only imagine what your airspace would look like with you in charge. :eek:[/QUOTEI

I still don't see where I said "I want to fly in federal airspace without telling anyone". I clearly said the law needed to change to allow us to use that airspace too. I'm sorry you don't have reading comprehension skills and if you think the FAA is more powerful than that Constitution, you really don't understand what Rights are. I think that was covered by others earlier in this thread though.

Brother, you can use the space. Get a license, contact the tower and get approval...

Don't bother...he's just joking...messin' with you.
And no, I'm not joking. I find this topic quite serious if you follow my threads. This attitude that we should be allowed to fly our personal drones at 3000 feet and no one can take away our right to do so is exactly what will end up banning these things in no time. I don't want that to happen. I will lead the charge to get proper regulations, proper licensing and proper training and certification so there's SOME barrier to entry before some kid drops his from the sky and kills someone on his first flight. I have no problem getting licensed so I can prove that I'm capable, neither should any other pilot...

...having that license will also help when people come up to you in public because they're scared of the word "Drone" and think you're some sort of terrorist spy. :rolleyes:

Reactions: snowghost
Uhh...no, they don't. Commercial planes just either ram or grind up birds. You can't immediately make an avoidance turn on a 747 just for the sake of a bird.
Jet engines have a "bird ejector" built into them. When I worked at Lockheed Martin I learned about the bird ejector test where they toss a thawed chicken into a running jet engine. Its when you have a massive flock of birds that jet engines flame out re: Sully Sullenberger. (hope I got his name right)

IMG_3930_zpszar9bu3h.gif

Reactions: Mal_PV2_Ireland
Please don't.
It's already happening. Speak to real pilots. Speak to people at the FAA. If you fight it? They will ban them outright. If you embrace common sense regulation? You'll get it. I honestly had no idea how infantile drone pilots were until I came on this boards. Actual pilots find this entire attitude bizarre and a really quick way to lose everything.

Reactions: snowghost
Status
Not open for further replies.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic