4-State Borders Region MD-PA-WVA-VA

Reaction score
Salutations and Happy Flying-

Folks call me "Hiway" and I am located in a very historic town not far from the convergence of the Potomac and Shenandoah Rivers. I am about an hour from DC and Northern Virginia, and within a stones throw of major east/west, and north/south interstates (just outside of Hagerstown, MD at Int 70 and Int 81)

I actually live just off the Historic Antietam Battlefield in Sharpsburg, MD. This centralizes me in the most picturesque Civil War Historical areas there are available, and with Harper's Ferry a hoot and a holler down the road (Thomas Jefferson was quoted as saying the view was worth crossing the Atlantic for) I feel I am blessed with some of the best Phantom aerial photography options the east coast has to offer in the USA.

Anyone that is venturing to the area needs to contact me should they be nearby- I have a modest little home in town, and we make the best coffee outside of South America and Seattle (although I've been told my java would have made Juan Valdez cry) and I know the local park rangers... and some property where it is legit to fly as there are strict rules on flying over the National Battlefields and Park- but it is accessible if using respect and common sense and courtesy.

If you are into railroads and shooting trains- Harper's Ferry has a gorgeous station along the river, and with the tracks nestled against the mountain and the scenic landscapes... well, you just need to see it to appreciate it.

I am not multilingual, but I am very easy to know, and very hospitable to people who weren't raised by wolves.

Bikers welcome by the way-
keep it on 2 ....o~^o

Reactions: NoWheels498
I come through Harpers Ferry a couple times a year. Agreed that it's beautiful there.

I'm from Annapolis. Not flying yet (come on B&H). I'm guessing flying around the Navy Academy would be a no no. ;-)

iResq said:
I come through Harpers Ferry a couple times a year. Agreed that it's beautiful there.

I'm from Annapolis. Not flying yet (come on B&H). I'm guessing flying around the Navy Academy would be a no no. ;-)

Hey there- give a holler when you do make it this way if you have some time, and are looking for some kindred spirit shop talk on the Phantom.

I am sure that the academy would not allow it unannounced- but perhaps if you know some people who could put in a request for a specific spot to shoot, it may be better received. I find when you are doing historical documentation, and not following some political or personal agenda that isn't seen as controversial, things smooth out.

mduehmig said:
Good morning. I'd like to take you up on that. I'm from Annapolis too iResq. Good shooting around here!

Let me know when you will be in the neighborhood via pm, and I will work out logistics with you.

I'm from Annapolis as well and I get up to Harpers Ferry 3-4 times a year. I wonder if we could film the train crossing the river up there. I would also like to take it up to MD Heights. The guys on here from Annapolis should meet up down this way, I'm in Cape St Claire.

Bluecrab said:
I'm from Annapolis as well and I get up to Harpers Ferry 3-4 times a year. I wonder if we could film the train crossing the river up there. I would also like to take it up to MD Heights. ...

If you have fpv (or if you are bold, adventurous, and very skilled with killer eyesight) there is a spectacular spot I know of just above the bend on the track before the station- the river convergence is in the background, as is the old salty dog saloon remnants.

...and that is just one spot I know of- there are a few more to launch from on both MD and WV sides of the river- Maryland Heights is mostly all private property, and owned by the sort who would like to take pot shots at our drones with a 30.06 or something.

If trains are your thing, then a few miles up river is Point of Rocks, and that is an equally picturesque stop, and of course here in town is the old abandoned train station with lots of open air around it and some public parking and a launch spot adjacent... there are also 4 main modern bridges, with older remains running beside that cross the Potomac within 10 miles... then there is the canal, and I haven't even gotten to the handful of places around the battlefield.

For a rank amateur series of video (with a few Phantom shots in there) you can check out a recent vid I made here:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tekX-S2vGQM
That i just a few shots I got when the copter was first tried out- I am working on much, much better stuff now, and my skills have improved greatly.

Hiway, pretty cool. I like the combo of bike and flight. Would have been neat if you have a pilot to capture arial video of you on the bike. Can't wait to see your next video.

Hiway, those were definitely cool shots from the bike and the air. When I come up in the spring we can get you on the bike. I'm going to be there in the spring to do some photography and video of Camp Manadokin, we should hook up then for sure. iResq, thats my brother in the net on that video...let me know when you get your bird from B&H

Bluecrab said:
... I'm going to be there in the spring to do some photography and video of Camp Manadokin, we should hook up then for sure. ...

Well now, I could almost throw a stone and hit that place Bluecrab... going on retreat? (side note- as a very young boy, I spent a week there during church camp before the heathen in me took full control at 15yrs old.)

Please do give a shout- I can pass along a cell number for you to call, and maybe an email for backup... if you know where Manidokan is, then you know how picturesque the area can be. Spring will net some stunning landscape shots for sure.

Hiway said:
Bluecrab said:
... I'm going to be there in the spring to do some photography and video of Camp Manadokin, we should hook up then for sure. ...

Well now, I could almost throw a stone and hit that place Bluecrab... going on retreat? (side note- as a very young boy, I spent a week there during church camp before the heathen in me took full control at 15yrs old.)

Please do give a shout- I can pass along a cell number for you to call, and maybe an email for backup... if you know where Manidokan is, then you know how picturesque the area can be. Spring will net some stunning landscape shots for sure.

I was just looking at some pictures last night from when I lived in MD, and was thinking about all the places between you and Hagerstown, and further west, that would make for some great flying and great footage. There were a few boy scout camps in that area I spent time at as a kid (Funkhauser and one other I can't remember), and anywhere up in those hills is ideal for what the Phantom can do.

**** skippy Ol Photo- but the name doesn't ring a bell.

There are many studies throughout the region- personally, I think a montage on covered bridges would be epic- there are still 4 within a 20 minute ride from here that are still in use.

I am planning on shooting the War Correspondents Memorial in Gapland (5 min away) as soon as the weather breaks- I may make it my first feature in the new youtube channel.

I think a launch from Jefferson's Rock in Harper's Ferry would be stunning, as would be the view coming across the Potomac from the Old Salty Dog Saloon on the Maryland side of the river.

A series of shots following Gen. A.P. Hill's march overnight to Antietam is actually not too hard despite most of the property being private along the river as I happen to know a few key places- and again, if you have fpv, then there are loads more options.

I could go on, but I'll save it for the next post. :roll:

Hiway said:
Bluecrab said:

We do a retreat up there every 1st week of november for the weekend. I will definitly give you a shout when I'm heding up that way. A covered bridge gallery wold be a very cool Idea. I'll shot you over my email so we can stay in touch.

Hiway said:
**** skippy Ol Photo- but the name doesn't ring a bell.

There are many studies throughout the region- personally, I think a montage on covered bridges would be epic- there are still 4 within a 20 minute ride from here that are still in use.

I am planning on shooting the War Correspondents Memorial in Gapland (5 min away) as soon as the weather breaks- I may make it my first feature in the new youtube channel.

I think a launch from Jefferson's Rock in Harper's Ferry would be stunning, as would be the view coming across the Potomac from the Old Salty Dog Saloon on the Maryland side of the river.

A series of shots following Gen. A.P. Hill's march overnight to Antietam is actually not too hard despite most of the property being private along the river as I happen to know a few key places- and again, if you have fpv, then there are loads more options.

I could go on, but I'll save it for the next post. :roll:

Have you seen the covered bridge more towards me in Harford county Md on Jarusalum rd? I think I will get some shots of it. Didn't consider that before. Since you are a rider I am sure you are familiar with The Union Hotel. I live within a couple miles from there.

Nvr2fst said:
Have you seen the covered bridge more towards me in Harford county Md on Jarusalum rd? I think I will get some shots of it. Didn't consider that before. Since you are a rider I am sure you are familiar with The Union Hotel. I live within a couple miles from there.

I know of the Union... vaguely, but that is a different crowd than who I ran with.

I have not heard of that bridge, but a covered bridge, with the right lighting, seems to me an excellent subject to do a 4 season shoot, and then combine footage for. (I really shouldn't be sharing all of my ideas, but I have become a community sort of guy.

I have scaled back my riding from past years- I am now titanium on my entire right side- wrist to elbow, and ankle to hip... it is like a **** erector set in there. I won't give up 2 wheels until I cannot see the lines or they stop renewing my license, but I have slowed way down. (just thinking of that moniker you carry- Nvr2fst... reminds me of a squiddy I knew long ago with the vanity plate on his zoom-splat that read, "ygoslo")

Hiway said:
Nvr2fst said:

I know of the Union... vaguely, but that is a different crowd than who I ran with.

I have not heard of that bridge, but a covered bridge, with the right lighting, seems to me an excellent subject to do a 4 season shoot, and then combine footage for. (I really shouldn't be sharing all of my ideas, but I have become a community sort of guy.

I have scaled back my riding from past years- I am now titanium on my entire right side- wrist to elbow, and ankle to hip... it is like a **** erector set in there. I won't give up 2 wheels until I cannot see the lines or they stop renewing my license, but I have slowed way down. (just thinking of that moniker you carry- Nvr2fst... reminds me of a squiddy I knew long ago with the vanity plate on his zoom-splat that read, "ygoslo")

Ouch. You gotta be feeling that in the winter. I used to ride. Kinda why I called it quits. Quit about 3 years ago. I rode cruisers, just not HDs. The riders that come through here are a certain type for sure. I think I kept the reaper at bay long enough. The roads are different nowadays.
Come spring I will get some shots at the covered bridge. It is on an unassuming road. We used to party under it many years ago. Good times.

Spelled it wrong. Jerusalem Rd. Kingsville Md.

i am a total newbie with a Phantom 1 purchased just a few days ago. As I began to go through the instructions and assemble it I realized just ow complicated it will be. I would love to meet some more experienced pilots near the Gainesville/Manassas area of VA to compare notes and fly together.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl