3rd Party Batteries

It's best to stick with OEM DJI batteries. It's not worth risking your entire drone for a small cost savings.

DJI has been known to change the firmware in order to stop aftermarket batteries from working at all. You have no idea how good an after-market battery is. Do you want to trust one with a $1000 device in order to save $20? Lastly, most likely the logs will show an after-market battery was being used and DJI can see this if you need to send the Phantom into them.

I look at it like that. Somebody has to be buying them if they keep selling them.
Personally I have dji batteries. But I plan to try one to see how it goes.

Reactions: JoBe
watching this thread. I may need a new battery.

There's something strange about aftermarket batteries. The companies that make them seem to disappear after six-nine months and new companies appear out of nowhere. I don't know why this is but it is. Venom, for example, was a good solid aftermarket battery name and they have completely vanished for reasons unknown. The OP mentioned "poweradd" and I don't believe they existed at the beginning of the year. "Powerextra" is another name that's relatively new. Will they perform well or drop out of the sky without warning? It's hard to say without a solid track record.

Thank you to the rest of you for your input. I've decided to bite the bullet and stick with DJI brand to play it safe.

Tony, wise choice. IMHO, it's always best to stick with OEM parts in any critical subsystems as complicated as your phantom. And they don't come much more critical than our batteries!

Thanks Richard. I'm a newbie to droning even though I've been RC flying for many moons. I'm loving it. Thanks for the feedback.

The reason I'd buy an aftermarket is extra mah. For example, on a P2V, the stock DJI is 5200 mAh. That's the highest you can get. But you used to be able to get an aftermarket with 6000 mah. So that would be a reason to buy aftermarket, provided your willing to deal with the risk of a drop. The aftermarket would have to have a solid and extensive track record.

To buy an unknown aftermarket with the same stock mAh instead of a DJI to save a few bucks to fly your thousand dollar AC doesn't sense at all.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic