3G GPS tracker RF-v42

did you end up getting a tracker device? have you used/tested it since 2G went away in 1/2017?

No I haven't yet .People seem to like the trackimo but in Australia in ends up quite expensive over time and the product support is lacking for what ever reason
.A guy I communicate regularly with just lost his P3 in a big forest .He found it with his Marco Polo although now he might have to buy a chainsaw .
I am thinking of giving the one above a go.

That's intersing Ithought the 2g network had shut down .cSomeone said it would work on 3G as well .I wonder why the bought out the RF-v42

Ref V16 is quad band so should work on all networks in the U.K anyway and sell for less than £25 plus £10 pay as ya go[emoji4]bargain or what?

Just received the RF-V42 yesterday and have been trying it out. It is slightly bigger then the v16 although not too big for it to be a problem to attach to a P3 or P4.

In Australia, Telstra (biggest telco) has shut down 2G and Optus (2nd largest Telco) is in the process of shutting down thus making the RF-V16 2G device obsolete very soon, so my motivation to get the 3G 900/2100Mhz RF-V42 device in Australia was obvious.

So far, what I can say is that it has MUCH better GSM (mobile) reception then the V16. The V42 just keeps working in low signal areas where the v16 does not (that is to be expected due to the limited 2G network) however the ringer (when the device is called) is lower in volume. I love the higher volume on the V16 as it was easy to hear if one had to find it in long grass etc.

Most of the programming on the v42 seems to be done via the "Reachfar" App rather then sending it SMS codes, however one can set the Primary Number and API via SMS.... but for example sending it dw# or dsp# to get instant location or device status via SMS does not seem to produce any response back.

So far so good. I like the RF-V42 better then the v16 largely due to the fact that it works almost everywhere I have needed it to work (even low signal areas) with any telco provider in Aus and anywhere my iPhone (on the same network) works. (i.e good GSM 3G RX sensitivity). It also seems to get GPS location lock faster.

I wish it had the same SMS code support as the V16 as it just would make it more versatile E.g. Getting instant location details using dw# (Maybe I'm just to used to it and I need to start getting used to using the app more - Old Dog new tricks!!)

Battery life of the v42 seems to be similar to the v16 but I need to test this out further over a longer period and more charge/use cycles.

I'll post further feedback when I can. (I may be out due to Easter break).

Happy Droneing!!!!

Last edited:
I have been emailing Them to get more information .
They recommended the B version for Australia 900-2100mhz .Aldi is the cheapest sim to use they use the Telstra tower 850mhz only .
I also looked up that frequency our closest (only )Telstra tower transmits and it is saying 850mhz 3G and 2600mhz 4G.
They said the A version would work if the signal was "separate not together " ?? Allowing for laungage difficulties I think this means the unit is single band not multi ?
So I am left a bit confused in the end ?I gather you got the B version .
Where did you get yours and what sim are you using and does the app use Google maps ?

Just ordered one direct from them $112 I ordered the A version so I hope it works .The support from the company seems to be good (so far anyway ) .

I have been emailing Them to get more information .
They recommended the B version for Australia 900-2100mhz .Aldi is the cheapest sim to use they use the Telstra tower 850mhz only .
I also looked up that frequency our closest (only )Telstra tower transmits and it is saying 850mhz 3G and 2600mhz 4G.
They said the A version would work if the signal was "separate not together " ?? Allowing for laungage difficulties I think this means the unit is single band not multi ?
So I am left a bit confused in the end ?I gather you got the B version .
Where did you get yours and what sim are you using and does the app use Google maps ?

Hi. - hope you all had a Good Easter.......Now to answer a few questions....,

I got the B version - 900/2100Mhz - mainly because 900/2100 Mhz 3G support on either 900 or 2100Mhz frequency is provided by the 3 main Telcos in Australia (Telstra, Optus & Vodaphone) see website:
Australian Phone Networks and Frequencies Explained

so depending on the best sim only plan, the B version, gives the widest choice in Australia.

I also looked up that frequency our closest (only )Telstra tower transmits and it is saying 850mhz 3G and 2600mhz 4G

No point looking at the 4G frequency as the device will not work on that band. - looking at the 3G band/frequency, Telstra provides 2100 frequency in most coverage areas if not all. - But for the best bet, i think, Optus would provide both frequencies in All their coverage areas. - or at least one or the other (900 or 2100 or both)

They said the A version would work if the signal was "separate not together " ?? Allowing for language difficulties I think this means the unit is single band not multi ?

I think they mean that the V42 device is not capable of ‘carrier aggregation’ - this is when a data consuming device such as a mobile phone/tracker/etc. combines at least two frequencies in an effort to double bandwidth and provide faster broadband speeds (something that we do not really need the V42 to do)

Where did you get yours

I got mine from ebay : 3G WCDMA Camera GPS Tracker RF-V42 SOS Camera monitoring by taking photos,No box | eBay

..and what sim are you using

I am using Amaysim (Optus) - Amaysim have an ideal Calling & SMS Only Prepay Plan which lasts for 365 days - so (for example) you could charge a sim with $10 and have a whole years fun with it assuming you dont use it all in one go..It contains no data (if you use any data it eats into your calling plan $$), but data can be added as/if required. (data lasts one month and does not roll over)

... and does the app use Google maps ?

I think the ReachFar App on iOS uses Apple Maps - I got this is by looking at the legal info/link on the maps in the App that takes you to the Apple legal page when clicked.

I haven't yet played further with SMS codes, but ill give it a try when i get some time this week.

Happy Drone-ing....

Last edited:
Does it give you live (or at least 30second interval tracking ) or do you text it to get a location . The live tracking would require data ?
I asked support about maps and was told Google ?
Out in the country areas Telstra is the only one with the towers .So it has to use them or a company that uses thier network . I also was able to see what my phone was receiving here and it is 850mhz .So I'm hoping the A version will work for me .
I have a link that I will post tonight .Its is about what to look for in a GPS tracker in Aust .Its very good

Does it give you live (or at least 30second interval tracking ) or do you text it to get a location . The live tracking would require data ?
I asked support about maps and was told Google ?
Out in the country areas Telstra is the only one with the towers .So it has to use them or a company that uses thier network . I also was able to see what my phone was receiving here and it is 850mhz .So I'm hoping the A version will work for me .
I have a link that I will post tonight .Its is about what to look for in a GPS tracker in Aust .Its very good

There is an option in the app to put 30 seconds, 10 minutes or 60 Min. I have tried 30 sec and it gets the "Real Time" location lock in the app fairly accurately and quickly, however the battery gets used a lot faster - lasts about a day. (rather then around 2 if updating 10 min.)

Using the app uses data (you are right) but very little - I used the app quite a lot over 3 days and only used just under 3MB (roughly 1MB/day) - However if we could get location over SMS then it would cost around 12c per message back. - ill investigate this a bit more.

Telstra does have the greatest coverage up-country and they probably use 850Mhz because of better penetration at lower frequencies. The two largest Telstra MVNOs are Boost Mobile and TeleChoice. Although they are restricted to 3G, which is ideal for the V42, and still offer Telstra's far-ranging call and text coverage. - so Version A should work well on the Telstra network.

Look forward to looking at the link.

Cheers.

3G GPS Trackers: What to look out for
This is the link I was talking about
How have you attached yours to your Phantom ?

Nice Link - explains WCDMA, which is what we (In Australia) need to look out for.

I have not yet attached the tracker to my Phantom - The tracker comes with a holder/belt clip. I was planning to stick the holder with some strong all weather scotch double tape to the Phantom, but the V42 pops out of the clip with a small push, so while it functions well as a belt clip, i dont think it is secure enough to hold the tracker through vibrations or any minor impact. - Im planning to 3D print a more sturdy version of a holder and use it to stick it to the drone/s - the added benefit is that with multiple holders i can transfer the same tracker between drones. (i usually fly only one at any one time ;-) )

I've emailed Reachfar to ask for some further info and will update as soon as I get a response...

have you received your tracker yet?

Just a few pics showing the Belt Clip/Holder..

V42 - 1.jpg
V42 - 2.jpg
V42 - 1.jpg
V42 - 2.jpg
V42 - 3.jpg
V42 - 4.jpg
V42 - 5.jpg
V42 - 6.jpg

I saw the belt clip in the site I had the same thought about how secure it would be .Also noted the tracker is not square for what ever reason making it a little harder to make a drone mount .
I would be interested in a 3D mount if you make one .
Mine was coming by DHL but apparently I live in a remote area $38 extra ,so I opted for the slow boat instead 10-15 days ( luck I don't live in Gulargambone they might think I live on Ganymede !)

luck I don't live in Gulargambone they might think I live on Ganymede !

Hahaha!!!

living in some remote areas of This Great (Is)Land can feel like living on Jupiter's largest sat..![/QUOTE]

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31