$25 leveling board

I built one a couple of weeks ago good for taking off from a field or Sandy beach

I put a continuous hinge down the center to make it evrn more compact and easier to carry
Thats not the only thing you look like you took down.. wheres your tshirt brotha? This isn't MySpace.

Don't feed the troll.
Maybe you didn't notice... I am a troll hunter.

tumblr_m4osx2cA4b1qdezf9o1_500.gif

I would buy one and I bet a lot of other Phantom owners would too.
What is the purpose of this... for level take offs & landings or for level calibration? I assume the first, level take offs & landings.

There is no documentation, or logic, behind a calibration being complete on a perfectly level surface being any more or less accurate than on a mild slant. Its probably just as accurate if it were laying on its side! A barometer doesnt care how it sits. And the gyro levels its self. Taking off level MIGHT be nice, if flying from a wind free location. But its not any help at all with the slightest of wind.

IMU calibration should be done on a perfectly level surface. The more level the surface, the more accurate the calibration. This is well known.

IMU calibration should be done on a perfectly level surface. The more level the surface, the more accurate the calibration. This is well known.
The word "level" doesnt exist in the published documentation anywhere.

So in one thread there is no documentation, so its not valid. In another that doesn't matter? My calibrations are all done from the middle of my yard.. the only place close that doesn't have steel in the ground.. and she fly's perfectly. Never a hickup with updates, and no anomalies in flight data. I guess my P3P must have a problem then, as my yard has a significant slope to it.

There is no documentation, or logic, behind a calibration being complete on a perfectly level surface being any more or less accurate than on a mild slant. Its probably just as accurate if it were laying on its side! A barometer doesnt care how it sits. And the gyro levels its self. Taking off level MIGHT be nice, if flying from a wind free location. But its not any help at all with the slightest of wind.

"The gyro levels its self"?
Levels it's self to what? When?
I don't think so.....

Thats how a gyro works. It creates a stable base attitude through its functioning, giving feedback to the controller of current aircraft attitude vs that data.
http://www5.epsondevice.com/en/information/technical_info/gyro/

Does it not have to have a starting point of reference? What is the ...lets call it "level plane" of reference for the gyro to now continue to attempt to follow or adjust to when it perceives a motion away from that level plane.
The gyro must first have a plane it is told to stay on and adjust to. Actually 2 intersecting planes.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plane_(geometry)

Reactions: GoodnNuff
The gyro, through its spinning function, creates the two planes. have you not ever held a tow gyroscope? Why spun it stabilizes its self.

Thats how a gyro works. It creates a stable base attitude through its functioning, giving feedback to the controller of current aircraft attitude vs that data.

The gyro has no reference to absolute orientation. It can only measure the rate of rotation from which it can calculate an amount of relative rotation to an arbitrary point. One of the things IMU calibration does is to provide a default error at a given temperature to what the accelerometer considers level. This is combined with the gyro and other sensor inputs to manage orientation stability.

It is well known that static and rotational stability of the Phantom will improve if the IMU is calibrated on a perfectly level surface.

The gyro, through its spinning function, creates the two planes. have you not ever held a tow gyroscope? Why spun it stabilizes its self.

MEMS gyros do not work that way.

This misunderstanding may contribute to your dismissve opinion.

The question is how does it create those 2 planes level. I know it stabilizes itself once it is spinning but how is it level to the desired plane is the question.

The gyro has no reference to absolute orientation. It can only measure the rate of rotation from which it can calculate an amount of relative rotation to an arbitrary point. One of the things IMU calibration does is to provide a default error at a given temperature to what the accelerometer considers level. This is combined with the gyro and other sensor inputs to manage orientation stability.

It is well known that static and rotational stability of the Phantom will improve if the IMU is calibrated on a perfectly level surface.

MEMS gyros do not work that way.

So by calibrating the IMU on a perfectly level surface that then give the MEMS gyro a starting point of reference to work from that we are calling "level" and it then gives our gimbal something to work from in keeping our pictures level despite the movement of the Phantom.

The question is how does it create those 2 planes level. I know it stabilizes itself once it is spinning but how is it level to the desired plane is the question.

These are not your 'grandfather's' Gyros/IMUs.

Google MEMS Gyro, accelerometers, etc.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31