207 good flights and literally fell 400 ft. from the sky.

I AM BAFFLED. 207 Flights and never had this happen. All was well as I was flying back. No issues.... then simply spun out of control to the ground. Thankfully it slammed into the neighbors yard... and not their kids or house.

I've called DJI, they sent an RMA and it's been FedExed to DJI in California for diagnostics of the "problem". We'll see I guess. Fingers crossed.

Any input form you guys is welcome as I'm speechless as to exactly what happened. Has anyone had to get a replacement or repair? I'm assuming it'll be quite a while.

Before flight:
Compass: Good
IMU Mod: 1500-ish
Battery Cell Voltages: Equal and Good

Video from the app here:
http://youtu.be/sXzBsKHcBI4View attachment 29341 View attachment 29342 View attachment 29343

Update: Called DJI to get a status report on my RMA. Told me 8 weeks is the turn around time. I asked if he was joking. He wasn't...but put me "on hold" for about 10 seconds, came back and said, "I checked and it looks like your current wait will be 3-4 weeks." I again asked if he was joking. I also asked if my 1 year warranty goes "on hold" for time they've have it fixing a manufacturers defect. He said, "No your warranty time continues from date of purchase." So looks like the joke is on the customers. Unbelievable. Again, I'm speechless.

*******UPDATE******

Mine was "checked in", photos taken and an email sent to me the day after they received it. (4 days after I shipped it.)

Received my FedEx tracking number yesterday. Should be next Wednesday when I receive the fixed bird. So from the day I shipped it out, to the day I should receive the repaird P3, that's 3 weeks and one day. Not bad all things considered.

Judging by the fact that they replaced and/or repaired 85% of my Phantom free of charge, no questions asked, they're obviously convinced it wasn't pilot error. The flight data can tell them a lot. But they've still not responded to my numerous emails and FreshDesk questions asking what the flight data told them. Don't get me wrong, I'm happy they've replace and repaired the broken items - but they're supposed to do this as it's under warranty. It doesn't help much not knowing why it fell from the sky in the first place. I guess I'll hope I'm not posting about "Spiral of Death #2" in a month.

Reactions: StevenQX
*******UPDATE******

Mine was "checked in", photos taken and an email sent to me the day after they received it. (4 days after I shipped it.)

Received my FedEx tracking number yesterday. Should be next Wednesday when I receive the fixed bird. So from the day I shipped it out, to the day I should receive the repaird P3, that's 3 weeks and one day. Not bad all things considered.

Judging by the fact that they replaced and/or repaired 85% of my Phantom free of charge, no questions asked, they're obviously convinced it wasn't pilot error. The flight data can tell them a lot. But they've still not responded to my numerous emails and FreshDesk questions asking what the flight data told them. Don't get me wrong, I'm happy they've replace and repaired the broken items - but they're supposed to do this as it's under warranty. It doesn't help much not knowing why it fell from the sky in the first place. I guess I'll hope I'm not posting about "Spiral of Death #2" in a month.
The most important thing is that you'll have your bird soon back...keep us updated!

*********UPDATE**********

FedEx just delivered the fixed bird to my house. Wife just called.

So from the day of the crash, to the day the repaired Phantom was received, total time was exactly 3 weeks.

Looking forward to getting home and testing.

*********UPDATE**********

FedEx just delivered the fixed bird to my house. Wife just called.

So from the day of the crash, to the day the repaired Phantom was received, total time was exactly 3 weeks.

Looking forward to getting home and testing.
Service repair is definitely improving from this example

So what was the outcome fhagan02?

All good after you got it back?

Thanks for asking :)
No... right out of the FedEx box it was having a new and random battery error. ("...repaired, tested and is fully functional"...my a$$) Sent it back same day for RMA #2. Two weeks later got it back.
5 Weeks total without the bird and 5 weeks off my warranty.

So far it seems to be ok.

Ok.
Having to send it right back because of incompetence is just wrong.
Man it must be great to have the market by the balls.
8 weeks you couldn't use what you paid for ....that's getting close to 1/4 your warranty period.
Glad you're back flying now. Any definitive on what caused the initial crash?

8 weeks you couldn't use what you paid for ....that's getting close to 1/4 your warranty period. I call foul. Glad you're back flying now. Any definitive on what caused the initial crash?

No they never answered any of my emails and/or Fresh Desk requests asking what exactly happened. The fixed everything no questions asked and free of charge - so apparently the flight data showed it wasn't pilot error. Even with RMA #2 they didn't tell me what happened. Just got the automated "Your unit has shipped" email. Called support and supposedly there was a note on my ticket from the tech that said, "battery cable was disconnected from main board!" That's a ton of B.S. The bird would power on, fly and hover. Just kept getting the red Battery Error. Plus when I got it back from RMA #2 the shell had not been opened. Stickers were uncut and in the exact same positions. (I marked them with tiny exacto-knife cuts before shipping.) I'm pretty sure you have to take the shell off to get to where the "battery cable is disconnect from the main board."

Obviously I'm still pretty bitter. Scared to fly too far or high since I still don't know why my perfectly fine quad instantly fell from the sky. So...it could happen at any moment. Rolling the dice every time I take off.

I'm just hoping for a competitor to come out with a new "flying camera". All things said and done - competition is the most important THING that DJI needs.

Sorry to hear that. Definitely NOT the experience you want when you spend $1300

A friend of mine lost his P2 a few days ago into the sea.
Now with all these government regs on the horizon I'm just not sure where to go next.
Not to mention new tech coming out to "shoot down" drones electronically.

I can easily see law enforcement everywhere clamoring to get those drone neutralizing guns if for no other reason but the fun of shooting down drones for a laugh...at someone else's expense.

Was there any resolution to this? What did you find out from DJI? DJI, will you please post findings here?

Very unlikely that you had motor failure.

In my mind these are the possible causes:

1. Earlier bump or crash loosened wiring or cables either to the motors or compass. Then, forces from general use eventually caused a disconnect.

2. Impact from foreign object such as a bird. Unlikely.

3. Aliens.

Sent my Phantom 3 back for replacement/repair and just received it back in Australia (10 WEEKS). And it was 100% hardware/software problem on a 6 week old unit. If I ran my business that way I would shut down within months.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4