2 Quick Questions

Reaction score
Hello, new to forum, hope I am posting in correct thread. My P3P should arrive tomorrow so I am studying up on things as I wait. Here are two things I can't figure out

1. if you go to the app and push the symbol in the top right to gain access to general info, then go to camera under Gimbal Param Settings the first item is Gimbal Mode. There are two choices FPV and Follow. For the love of God I have tried every search imaginable and can't find anything about these. What do they do and what is the difference between them; and
2. As I am just new to this forum I thought I would do a search for this information here but can't seem to find the search button that would allow me to try and find any earlier posts about this.

Any help you can give me would be appreciated.

FPV locks the camera forward. follow allows the camera to move slightly left and right, same direction of the Phantom as it spins. It does not move much though.

Waiting on your second question.

Maybe the second question was regarding where to find the search feature???...

Look for the 'Magnifying glass' in the upper right hand corner.

Maybe the second question was regarding where to find the search feature???...

Look for the 'Magnifying glass' in the upper right hand corner.
OK, so now I feel dumb!! Things are always easy when you know what you are doing. Thanks, I knew it had to be obvious.

FPV locks the camera forward. follow allows the camera to move slightly left and right, same direction of the Phantom as it spins. It does not move much though.

Waiting on your second question.
I guess this is something I need to experiment with when the Phantom arrives, however .....

It seems like a waste to just have the camera move slightly from left to right rather than locked in the forward position. I thought (stupid me) that you could select a subject and as you followed or spun around the subject the camera would stay fixed on it. i.e. As the subject is moving you could fly around it, climb, descend and move in and out all the while the camera would rotate the phantom as needed to keep the subject centered.

I guess this was just wishful thinking. I will need to hone my skills so that I can conduct such operations myself.

Check out this video for clear explanation.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Reactions: JBG
It seems like a waste to just have the camera move slightly from left to right rather than locked in the forward position.
Quite the opposite. For videoing you want to use the Follow setting to get smooth video. In FPV it will be horribly jerky.

I thought (stupid me) that you could select a subject and as you followed or spun around the subject the camera would stay fixed on it.
That's something altogether different. You'd need the Inspire with a very good camera operator for that.

DJI have used the word Follow to indicate that the gimbal tracks or follows the movement of the Phantom to keep the video smooth.

Quite the opposite. For videoing you want to use the Follow setting to get smooth video. In FPV it will be horribly jerky.

That's something altogether different. You'd need the Inspire with a very good camera operator for that.

DJI have used the word Follow to indicate that the gimbal tracks or follows the movement of the Phantom to keep the video smooth.

I think "Follow" refers to following the horizon and not the phantom. It could be bad Chingrish translation. FPV mode is for more hard core flyers who want to give the "superman" point of view or need some reference on how much they are banking around a turn or pitching up to prepare for a backward flip stunt.

Reactions: IflyinWY
FPV mode will have the camera bank with the aircraft when it banks, meaning your horizons won't stay straight. Follow mode allows the gimbal to compensate for movements of the aircraft, which will give you much smoother videos.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic