1st Flight with V3 Motor Upgrade

Justin, mine is the same as yours and I bought it the same time period. No V2 at the QR code; but V2 stamped on the ESC itself. I did do the IMU recalibration and compass calibration like Frank mentioned. Anyway, my Phantom has been flying good after about 4 battery flights. No heat or smoke. But its winter up here in CT now so the heat issue may not show up until summer time.

went for test just now.. Its summer here.. think its like 30c today.. Anyways first battery I took it easy, kept checking motors and smelling vents etc.. All good.. got a little bit more risky on the second battery.. Put her through a few good speed and vertical tests.. and all good again. Would rather it heat up / die now then when I'm not in testing stage. So might as well do some proper testing ..Took the lid off and all looks good. I put heatshrink over the motor cables as someone suggested, somewhere.

They don't seem quieter like you guys found... but maybe its just me. It looks like the blades are spinning waaaaay faster... when you look at the blades when the quad is above you it looks heaps different then with the stock motors.. looks pretty cool hehe :] Oh and the motors run cooler than stock.. They barely had any heat, and it was consistent on all 4 which was good.

I'll do a few more test runs and then i'll be more confident...

i've got the esc's & motor's (& transmitter) in my shopping basket waiting for my money to clear Monday. How is the flight time compared to the old set-up?

After 5 battery flights, I don't see a difference in flight time. I was flying with a fellow Phantom owner today who was using the stock motors/props. It gave me a real feel for how much quitter the new props are.

Hmmm maybe I am used to the noise as I've had the 9450's for a while...
Any of you guys got any videos ? Curious to hear what it sounds like.
Just doesn't seem much quieter to me... but yeah.. maybe if I had the 2 side by side, or went for a flight the day before the upgrade.. hadn't flown in like a week previous to upgrade..

Not sure it's any more silent. It's a different lower pitch sound to my ears. Which appears to be not as loud.

Hmmmmm
Got a couple friends with Phantoms, one has vision plus and another has the one with go-pro.. Will catch up with them soon and compare the diff.
It does sound a little diff, some what.

Would be interested if anyone could measure the rpm. Looks like these puppies spin heaps faster.

I also didn't notice any decreased battery, well nothing worth mentioning...maybe 30 secs less ? but that could be due to a few things. Will be able to check battery more thoroughly when I do normal flights.

I'm sorry to say fellas....but there is rather a big difference in sound, on mine. I did notice a sound change on my 3rd battery because I had a tip over off the edge of my landing pad. But after taking a damp sheet of paper towel and whipping each blade that had grass stain with some dirt, the noise was gone again. The noise difference since the upgrade is not even thinkable, you know it. It's not something you have to think about is what I'm trying to say. When it is fighting a wind gust, it just doesn't have the loud clapping pitch. It is what I would expect going from the brush motor setup to the sealed bearing.

But now you guys have me wondering if you guys have a different combo from what I do, and maybe one that is more of what I would want in the way of my top speed flying. Makes me think your motor/ECU combo is spinning faster making more of that wanted power. I guess since we're not local to one another, maybe we can compare the amount of milliseconds it takes to reach a particular height, or something?

Frank can you get a video of yours please ?
I'm just saying it looks to be spinning faster.. based on watching it from close by below. it appears to be faster.. which is not very scientific lol..
There is a diff sound but I was expecting it to be quieter. I did notice what you said about the wind, it makes less of a chopping sound than it did before. Sometimes the sound it make with stock motors in the wind was violent sounding..

I'd be up for altitude test.. I only have vision utility plus data logging to use. I'm going to go out flying in a few hours.
What altitude would be best ?

I think it potentially lifts faster than before, but the horizontal speed is the same. So I don't think your missing it on much.

*edit* oh ya breaking/stopping power is much better than before.. almost stops instantly when you go from forward to backwards etc. Big improvement there.
Have been thinking of the possible increased rpm.. I suppose seems I am not loosing battery power its unlikely they are going heaps faster due to the ESC being wrong version. I would think they would be getting pretty hot and losing alot of battery time if they were doing it due to an error... But yeah lost marginal battery and they run cooler than stock. so who knows.. really need to compare with someone else who has not yet upgraded :/ Anyways I'm happy with the results so all is good.

I can use the V+UP app, no problem there. For this test, why don't you go through your usual process with getting the minimum 6 satellites and if you have to launch and gain some altitude or whatever, just do your usual and then land, and then when ready launch at full throttle holding it untial after you pass 100ft. And then we'll compare each others milliseconds from point of lift off to the 100ft.

I will probably land and do it again to see if a variation.

Ok I'll try it a few times.
I have a CF camera guard, so I'll take that off as it might increase drag.
I suppose you have the slight added weight of flextrex to take into account also.

Kind of funny... I took it out of the front of the house just now to do some tests.. My neighbor who I'm friendly with came out and said "Doesn't sound as annoying as before"
So who knows.. maybe its just me..

Anyways I'll report back in a few hours with some results.

Yeah I do have the Live 3G, plus the harness for it. But that's it. I forgot to let you know the new motors have 40rpm more then old stock motors. They refer to it as 920kv - 960kv.

Btw, I don't think this test will go as we hope for it to. I'm sorta going around now with Amit at flytrex cause their wire harness is causing some issues with satellite connection and wrong altitude.

although i'm not a very regular flier (couple of flights per 2-3 weeks possibly), my last couple were done with 9450 props on the original P2 motors. I can't say i noticed any difference in power/lift or quietness so wouldn't be surprised if it is all down to the newer engine, or possibly that the 9450's are specially catered to the new motor's higher rpm. I'm intending to get some DJI carbon 9443's with the new motors/esc's so can try a mixture of the 3 DJI props (9443's, 9450's & carbon 9443's)

I still say it's just a lower frequency(props) not sure about the motors. Only flew the 2 a few weeks before replacing with 3.0

Full 3.0 v here.

I have a decibel meter and if I can get together with Art who has the stock Phantom I'll compare the two. Also, I was flying in front of my house the other day and my wife came home from shopping and made a comment about it sounding quieter. And she had no clue that it was intentional. It could very well be that it is just a different sound which gives the appearance of it being quieter, but I don't know. I do know the stock sound always sounded like a swarm of bees and the new one does not.

p fandango said:
I'm intending to get some DJI carbon 9443's with the new motors/esc's so can try a mixture of the 3 DJI props (9443's, 9450's & carbon 9443's)

I would be interested in any data you come up with on those combos :!:

Mopar Bob said:
I have a decibel meter and if I can get together with Art who has the stock Phantom I'll compare the two. Also, I was flying in front of my house the other day and my wife came home from shopping and made a comment about it sounding quieter. And she had no clue that it was intentional. It could very well be that it is just a different sound which gives the appearance of it being quieter, but I don't know. I do know the stock sound always sounded like a swarm of bees and the new one does not.

That would be the ticket right there. A decibel meter!

No doubt let us know what you come up with.

Doubt my eyes are so well tuned they could detect a 40rpm increase, but good to know anyways thanks.
It was just cool...as I was looking at the quad from down below, the props totally blended in with the blue sky, on with the right angle it actually looked like I had no props on.. All you could see was the shaft on each motor. Hadn't seen that before. Freaked me out for a split second lol

How many grams could the stock motors lift ? was it 200g per motor ? and the 2312's do like 300g per motor ? Can't remember the exact specs.
Tempted to do some testing with some little free weights i've got. Would be interesting to do a comparison.

I think it was increased 200g per each motor - prop combo?

Hmm found a little comparisson here.

600g/axis vs 800g / axis

per axis would be 2 motors yeah ? Surely it wouldn't lift 4x 800... I thought the total lift capacity was 1.x kg which makes sense if its 2x 800g

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BoguSlav