1080p30 --- is it really better than 720p60 for FPV ??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
I have a P3 Pro and use the Headplay HD goggles with it --- but overall I've become disappointed by the limitations of 720p FPV because you really miss a lot of fine details on the ground when flying. I have a small side business where I scout local fields for wild game like turkey and deer so that hunters will have an idea of the best places to hunt. I made about $2,000 last year offering this service, but many times I would get "false positives" on what I thought was a game animal on the ground, but once I descended to a lower altitude it turned out to be a tree stump or clump of weeds! Needless to say, this is the most aggravating part of my service because it wastes time and battery power to inspect all the false positives.

So when I heard about the DJI Goggles and their ability to offer true 1080p FPV when paired up with the Mavic Pro, I was giddy with excitement. Now I could get much finer detail on the ground as I fly, and that will translate to more efficient use of my time and my clients don't run out of patience.

However, many of the posts I'm reading in here are disheartening about the resolution quality of the DJI Goggles at 1080p when paired with the Mavic Pro. Is it really that bad? I don't really care about the head-tracking feature --- I just need high quality 1080p video FPV with very little artifacting or signal breakup at range up to 2 miles.

I hespecially a P3 Pro and use the Headplay HD goggles with it --- but overall I've become disappointed by the limitations of 720p FPV because you really miss a lot of fine details on the ground when flying. I have a small side business where I scout local fields for wild game like turkey and deer so that hunters will have an idea of the best places to hunt. I made about $2,000 last year offering this service, but many times I would get "false positives" on what I thought was a game animal on the ground, but once I descended to a lower altitude it turned out to be a tree stump or clump of weeds! Needless to say, this is the most aggravating part of my service because it wastes time and battery power to inspect all the false positives.

So when I heard about the DJI Goggles and their ability to offer true 1080p FPV when paired up with the Mavic Pro, I was giddy with excitement. Now I could get much finer detail on the ground as I fly, and that will translate to more efficient use of my time and my clients don't run out of patience.

However, many of the posts I'm reading in here are disheartening about the resolution quality of the DJI Goggles at 1080p when paired with the Mavic Pro. Is it really that bad? I don't really care about the head-tracking feature --- I just need high quality 1080p video FPV with very little artifacting or signal breakup at range up to 2 miles.
If a hunter is going to hunt....then hunt like a man....especially if it is for sport which I don't agree with to start with. But, if you need to use drones etc to find something to kill...use the site FISH IN A BARREL .COM.

If a hunter is going to hunt....then hunt like a man....especially if it is for sport which I don't agree with to start with. But, if you need to use drones etc to find something to kill...use the site FISH IN A BARREL .COM.

I'm not a hunter myself --- but most hunters will use intel to scout fields and trails before hunting season begins. Before the era of drones, they would walk around and use binoculars, but a drone is nothing more than "binoculars in the sky" :p

This is NOT cheating --- but simply using your intelligence and wits to gain the best chance of bagging a trophy or just meat for the table. Feeding your family with fresh meat is a sign of a REAL man, not an inept pansy. Nature has evolved us for that singular task over many millions of years.

Have no idea what fish-in-a-barrel.com is all about --- sounds like a scam site.

[Qunderstand "Jiggly-Wiggly, post: 1219051, member: 95668"]I'm not a hunter myself --necessity andnters will use intel to scout fields and trails before hunting season begins. Before the era of drones, they would walk around and use binoculars, but a drone is nothing more than "binoculars in the sky" :p

This is NOT cheating --- but simply using your intelligence and wits to gain the best chance of bagging a trophy or just meat for the table. Feeding your family with fresh meat is a sign of a REAL man, not an inept pansy. Nature has evolved us for that singular task over many millions of years.

Have no idea what fish-in-a-barrel.com is all about --- sounds like a scam site.[/QUOTE]
I understand if its people that live off the land as that is their life choice and a necessity. Most if not all do not live a lavish life so they can't pay for your service. Sport hunters may want your service ....maybe they are crappy hunters and want an easy kill. That's where the fish in a barrel thing came in.

I understand if its people that live off the land as that is their life choice and a necessity. Most if not all do not live a lavish life so they can't pay for your service. Sport hunters may want your service ....maybe they are crappy hunters and want an easy kill. That's where the fish in a barrel thing came in.

I wouldn't call it "crappy hunters" --- just guys who like to gain an advantage over other hunters to increase their odds on opening day. For example, I tend to get a lot of retired guys using my service since they dont have the physical stamina to roam miles in the fields like a young hunter would. It's a lot easier for them to sit in a lawn chair with a cold beer while they stare at a TV screen while I fly my P3P a couple miles in every direction looking for game animals.

I will admit that drones detract a little from purists who think hunting should only be done the old-school way, but these days most of them use high-tech gadgets like laser range finders and GPS mapping so I dont see why a drone is any different. Just another tool in their recon arsenal.

I wouldn't call it "crappy hunters" --- just guys who like to gain an advantage over other hunters to increase their odds on opening day. For example, I tend to get a lot of retired guys using my service since they dont have the physical stamina to roam miles in the fields like a young hunter would. It's a lot easier for them to sit in a lawn chair with a cold beer while they stare at a TV screen while I fly my P3P a couple miles in every direction looking for game animals.

I will admit that drones detract a little from purists who think hunting should only be done the old-school way, but these days most of them use high-tech gadgets like laser range finders and GPS mapping so I dont see why a drone is any different. Just another tool in their recon arsenal.
I see. Old farts too old to hunt. While they are napping, let's affix prey to the end of their firearm and wake them up to pull the trigger.

Reactions: With The Birds
I see. Old farts too old to hunt. While they are napping, let's affix prey to the end of their firearm and wake them up to pull the trigger.

You're ethically opposed to hunting and that's your right. Also realize every time you bite into a juicy bacon cheeseburger that a cow and a pig were electrocuted to death in order to bring you that tasty burger.

"Food" for thought --- no pun intended :p

You're ethically opposed to hunting and that's your right. Also realize every time you bite into a juicy bacon cheeseburger that a cow and a pig were electrocuted to death in order to bring you that tasty burger.

"Food" for thought --- no pun intended :p
I didn't see anything said about being opposed to hunting as much as hunting style.
Oh wait.... now I remember... your the guy that had a lot of attitude for us when we wouldn't agree with you on using fireworks on drones. No real discussion here.

Reactions: With The Birds
Oh wait.... now I remember... your the guy that had a lot of attitude for us when we wouldn't agree with you on using fireworks on drones. No real discussion here.

I had a lot of "attitude" because I dont like debating Puritanical soap-boxers who dont enjoy having a little fun with your drone.

BTW, I did attach Roman candles to my P3P and had a BLAST --- looks like you holier-than-thou types lost that battle :p

Reactions: Goof
I had a lot of "attitude" because I dont like debating Puritanical soap-boxers who dont enjoy having a little fun with your drone.

BTW, I did attach Roman candles to my P3P and had a BLAST --- looks like you holier-than-thou types lost that battle :p
Just like your fireworks posts, again with the condescending name calling. You go ahead and believe you won "the battle". You've won nothing.

Just like your fireworks posts, again with the condescending name calling. You go ahead and believe you won "the battle". You've won nothing.

Sorry to burst your bubble, but I did win. I had fun with my fireworks drone, even though it was un-sanctioned by DJI and frowned upon by all the Puritans in here. That is how truly innovative people like me, Steve Jobs, and Bill Gates challenge the norms and not follow the rules. Only timid Puritans follow all the rules, and they end up sad sheep who never had an ounce of fun in their lives because they were too scared of "Big Brother".

Sorry to burst your bubble, but I did win. I had fun with my fireworks drone, even though it was un-sanctioned by DJI and frowned upon by all the Puritans in here. That is how truly innovative people like me, Steve Jobs, and Bill Gates challenge the norms and not follow the rules. Only timid Puritans follow all the rules, and they end up sad sheep who never had an ounce of fun in their lives because they were too scared of "Big Brother".
End of discussion.... Bill, Steve, or whoever you think you are.

. That is how truly innovative people like me, Steve Jobs, and Bill Gates challenge the norms and not follow the rules. ".

YOU EARNED $2,000 last year with your drone and you place yourself in the league with Steve Jobs and Bill Gates....those guys buy lunch in restaurants you could never afford for $2,000; $2,000.00 is chump change

If you really want to be a BIG SHOT making money with your drone, buy a M600 with the camera outfitted with a 16 power zoom lens so you can get a close look at the ground.

BTW the drone cost over $6,000.00 but if you want to be in the league of Bill and Steve... just buy it and forget about the goggles, they won't work for what you want to do

Status
Not open for further replies.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Scav8tor