550 Pilot's lounge

ladykate said:
Such a green landscape. ;-}

When I was flying there, I took off from sidewalks/roads but I would have thought the hard ground would work - too dusty?

Nice looking machine. I think it looks better in your pictures than in the original advertisements.
Yea-the dust isn't actually all that bad. It's pretty heavy sand-so I saw no dust on t/o landing.
I'll probably meet some people in the Park this weekend though and fly off the grass.

havasuphoto said:
This F800 flies incredibly smooth, and is ridiculously easy to control. Wind? Ha-it just laughs at it. The retracts are cool-but kind of wobbly. I weighed the aircraft with battery and got 6.6 lbs, or right at 3000 grams, with battery(8000mah zippy-they're kinda heavy, and Go Pro).
That's a nice looking machine... HUGE! What do you mean by the retracts are "wobbly"? Also, what battery system does it run on... a 4S or 3S system...??

You may need to add some cool lighting on that rig... :cool:

Would love to see some nice Video of it in action...

Good Luck with the new Hex...

Pretty cool!!! Legs wobbly??? Are they loose??

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

FangsCPO said:
Pretty cool!!! Legs wobbly??? Are they loose??

Not really-it's just that the hex is big and heavy. They're attached to the arms-not the base of the 550 like some other systems.
it's not a problem for me.....i may upgrade in the future-but everything works fine now.
it currently runs on 3S. Could run on 4S but would need to change from 11X5 props to 10" props......
I posted the e-calc page.....maybe someone could give me some advise...and like I said, the AUW is right around 3000 grams.

I'm told these motors need to be oiled after so many flights....I think it was like 5 or 10? Does anyone fly the Sunnysky motors and can provide me with tips on how/when to do this? Also-I have a local hobby shop, what kind of oil should I get?

Keep in mind that it's stupid hot here right now; 115 Today.....and, the motor do get warm after a flight-up to 130 deg. F. according to my infrared thermometer before the battery died. So, even though these are new bearings-I'd like to keep them in good shape.
At this time of year-the only real time I can fly, is just after sunrise.....then it's only 85 or so..but, heating up quickly.

But it's a dry heat, right? ;) I know, 115 is still pretty **** hot, I remember from my time out in West Texas. Glad you finally got things worked out, sounds like you are going to have some fun with your new rig.

labmansid said:
But it's a dry heat, right? ;) I know, 115 is still pretty **** hot, I remember from my time out in West Texas. Glad you finally got things worked out, sounds like you are going to have some fun with your new rig.
Yea...
Problem I have here is no shade!!! OH, and a lack of grass-that isn't populated by; dogs, people, people and dogs, golfers, etc.
So-the area I fly in looks like the Desert that it is...rocks and sand.
Gonna go to Big 5 sporting good tomorrow and buy me one of those folding camping chairs that has an awning or shade on the top.

OH, finally got my new FPV monitor in!! Goggles, when it's over 100, just suck......to hot and sweaty.
You gotta love getting up at sunrise, if you're going to fly at all here.......

I dont have your motors but I've been told that if you apply oil, it just attracts more dirt and dust. I normally just blow air on my motors to remove any dirt, dust or debris.

Just a question for my f550 friends...

I'm adding my iOSD on my f550, as well as my Zenmuse H3-2D... I want to hook it up correctly, but I can't find a 'how to' video on YouTube. So I found this picture online of someone who hooked it up. Is this the correct way to connect everything?

178-IMG-1827-jpg

Yep. Need to add the video jack into the GCU and hook that to the iOSD.

ladykate said:
You mean the black 8 pin ribbon type cable?

Also, should I connect the small 4 pin cable on the iOSD to my FatShark Transmitter?

PJA said:
ladykate said:

Also, should I connect the small 4 pin cable on the iOSD to my FatShark Transmitter?

The 8 pin cable goes from the H3-2D to the GCU.

You should have a 3mm or so video jack that hooks to the GCU. The other end fits the osd video in. The video out (marked on the OSD) has to go (with a ground link) to your vtx. All this is pictured on the OSD manual available on the DJI website.

You will probably have to split out the output from the OSD in some way to FatShark. Usually, that means put the connector in and solder appropriate leads to the right video and ground wires - hook those to the vtx. I don't believe there is a direct cable hookup available - you have to make them.

ladykate said:
PJA said:
ladykate said:

The 8 pin cable goes from the H3-2D to the GCU.

You should have a 3mm or so video jack that hooks to the GCU. The other end fits the osd video in. The video out (marked on the OSD) has to go (with a ground link) to your vtx. All this is pictured on the OSD manual available on the DJI website.

You will probably have to split out the output from the OSD in some way to FatShark. Usually, that means put the connector in and solder appropriate leads to the right video and ground wires - hook those to the vtx. I don't believe there is a direct cable hookup available - you have to make them.

+1

Just don't connect the 4-pin plug from the GCU directly in to the 4-pin port on the iOSD mini, without disconnecting the power/ground leads first.

PJ, I realized there's actually two different versions of the cable we're referring to, and my H3-3D came with both.

If you have the one on the right in this pic, you'll need to follow what I mentioned about only using the correct two pins in that white plug when connecting to the iOSD mini.

If you have the version on the left, you can just splice the yellow (vid) and black (ground) bare leads to the matching inputs on the iOSD mini cable (the one that came with it).

q7mEfMWl.jpg

OI Photography said:
ladykate said:
+1

Just don't connect the 4-pin plug from the GCU directly in to the 4-pin port on the iOSD mini, without disconnecting the power/ground leads first.
You guys mean these two cables?

14170027278_f47ed7af67.jpg

OK... So here are the cables all soldered together...

Am I good to go!

14353718571_c251af1441_c.jpg

It all looks right to me, as long as the connections under the black wrapping on your OSD cable are the way I mentioned (yellow-yellow, black-brown, from the GCU cable) you should be good to go :)

UM - I assume you used at least one ground wire to/from the video in/out of the iOSD (the black line represents a video/ground pair)? I didn't think it would work if the video signal isn't grounded.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl