550 Pilot's lounge

ladykate said:
I thought you were going to upgrade to the 3508s? The 2212s are probably not what you want to stick with - they are small for that aircraft.
My memory isn't the greatest(getting old(er)), so we've probably already had this conversation?
The 2212's will get the job done for now. Brand new bearings and just balanced..so I was going to wait a bit. There's always the very real chance I'll tip it over or crash it-then need new engines-that would be a good time to upgrade.

Refresh my memory-3508's are these: http://www.buddyrc.com/sunnysky-v3508-20-580kv.html
And forgive me for not re-re reading the 60 some odd pages-I know most of this has already been discussed probably more than once. What does the KV rating mean? For example==the 2212's have 1400kv, and the bigger sunnsky's have 580kv....???

All this stuff is way above my pay grade ;)
Most of you guys that have been doing this r/c stuff for awhile, have probably forgotten more than I'll ever know.....and I do appreciate the help. Just so lucky I found a guy locally that builds 550 for sale. He has a clue, and knows how to do all this stuff.
I'm just the "nut behind the wheel" :)
OH, and the guy that pays the bills.

havasuphoto said:
Refresh my memory-3508's are these: http://www.buddyrc.com/sunnysky-v3508-20-580kv.html
And forgive me for not re-re reading the 60 some odd pages-I know most of this has already been discussed probably more than once. What does the KV rating mean? For example==the 2212's have 1400kv, and the bigger sunnsky's have 580kv....???

Yes. Those were the ones the seller recommended as an upgrade. KV means thousands of revolutions per volt. So 1400 KV is 1400 revs per volt. More is not necessarily better - your prop size comes into play. Generally, the bigger the prop, the less revs/volt you have to generate to get lift. For instance, a 4410/320 KV motor is quite powerful with 6s battery and 15 inch props.

havasuphoto said:
Question-you've seen the aircraft with the 800mm arms kits; what engine and prop package would you put on it, to make it a "heavy(ier), lifter", that runs 4S and can be in the 10+ minute flight range, carrying a Z15 type gimbal and a GH3/4?

For that kind of lifting, you probably need to go to 6S power, and getting that much flight time with that weight will probably require 10,000mAh of battery capacity.

SunnySky makes several versions of the 3508's, including the 700kv models I use: http://www.buddyrc.com/sunnysky-v3508-16-700kv.html

I might recommend the 2814's @700kv, they're just a pinch more powerful and efficient than the ones I use (if you want to stay with 4S for now): http://www.buddyrc.com/sunnysky-v2814-1 ... motor.html

I did finally figure out the CL and HL settings. That is a pretty cool feature but it can get you mixed up if you are not careful.

Here's my first video for the month of June and also my first slightly aggressive flight. I'm really liking the E300 system upgrade. These motors definitely have a lot more kick than the stock motors. The view also looks pretty cool with the lake and mountains in the background. Enjoy!

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GXbSeuwbId0[/youtube]

Great news!! The seller has agreed to meet me half-way on Weds!! Also-the area we're meeting is near a park. So, if the park is devoid of people and pets, we'll do a test flight. If it's in the "ghetto"(hard to tell with google maps), then we'll pass on the flight.

He did a flight yesterday with 2x3S8000 Mah batteries, so weight is not an issue. Flight time was only 15 minutes-up 5 minutes from 1 battery.
Also-he's going to weigh the aircraft and send me some e-calc numbers(he used e-calc to build the aircraft), so I'll know exactly how much weight I can carry.
The 3S16000 mah battery will be no problem at all. Now, I just need to find one!!
I looked at the specs on the 16000mah, and it said "max charge 1C"!!! That's going to take forever to charge. The 8000mah can be charged at 5C.
So-need to find the 16-in stock, and that can be charged at higher than 1C......

Also-my Futaba T8FG-super showed up Today..and, my P2 shipped Today, as did my new FPV monitor(the old one had the DC in connector break off the circuit board inside-avoid the 7" boscam...total junk. went with black pearl).
So-this weekend I will have my choice of 3 aircraft to fly!!! I'll bet it will be stupid windy here for a month!! just my luck :lol:

havasuphoto said:
I looked at the specs on the 16000mah, and it said "max charge 1C"!!! That's going to take forever to charge. The 8000mah can be charged at 5C.
So-need to find the 16-in stock, and that can be charged at higher than 1C......

1C for a 16000mAh = 16A. As long as your charger can push that much, it still should only take a little over an hour.

OI Photography said:
havasuphoto said:

1C for a 16000mAh = 16A. As long as your charger can push that much, it still should only take a little over an hour.
Wow....ok, that will work!!
I'm so dumb...I can't make heads or tails out of the C thing on batteries and my charger.....I guess it relates to the mah too?
I can set my Hyperion 720 to 2C(default), but it only charges at 4.62 amps(11.1 2800mah maddog). When I try 3C and set it at 8amp, and it only go to 6.62-and the battery charges in exactly the same time as 2C-29 minutes......
But-I think that's for a whole other thread.

havasuphoto said:
I can set my Hyperion 720 to 2C(default), but it only charges at 4.62 amps(11.1 2800mah maddog). When I try 3C and set it at 8amp, and it only go to 6.62-and the battery charges in exactly the same time as 2C-29 minutes......

The issue may be that the power supply you're using with the Hyperion charger may only put out 6A or so max (that's a common cap for regular AC-DC converters). If that's the case, then any 16000mAh batt would take almost 3 hours to charge.

OI Photography said:
havasuphoto said:

The issue may be that the power supply you're using with the Hyperion charger may only put out 6A or so max (that's a common cap for regular AC-DC converters). If that's the case, then any 16000mAh batt would take almost 3 hours to charge.
It has one built-in....remember we discussed whether or not to get the DC Power converter, and I passed on it. Might have to revisit that choice, all things considered now.
OR, hook it up to my car battery and let er rip!!! :)

Here's a photo of the E-calc. This one was done with 10" props. So with the E-Grapner 11x5's, it should be better?
Look like I can carry an additional 1797g. This is already carrying 1 battery.
I don't know how to read these things-so maybe someone can help me decipher this;

[quote="havasuphotoI can set my Hyperion 720 to 2C(default), but it only charges at 4.62 amps(11.1 2800mah maddog). When I try 3C and set it at 8amp, and it only go to 6.62-and the battery charges in exactly the same time as 2C-29 minutes......
But-I think that's for a whole other thread.[/quote]

It sounds like one of your settings may not be set correctly. When I charge my 6400 mAh lipos, I have it set at 12.8 amps to charge which is 2C. As it's charging it starts at 12 amps but as it gets closer to the end, it starts going lower in amps but throughout the charging process it fluctuates between 10 amps and 12 amps.....I always found it kind of odd but since it was charging fine and much better than what I had previously, I didn't give it any second thought.

FangsCPO said:
[quote="havasuphotoI can set my Hyperion 720 to 2C(default), but it only charges at 4.62 amps(11.1 2800mah maddog). When I try 3C and set it at 8amp, and it only go to 6.62-and the battery charges in exactly the same time as 2C-29 minutes......

It sounds like one of your settings may not be set correctly. When I charge my 6400 mAh lipos, I have it set at 12.8 amps to charge which is 2C. As it's charging it starts at 12 amps but as it gets closer to the end, it starts going lower in amps but throughout the charging process it fluctuates between 10 amps and 12 amps.....I always found it kind of odd but since it was charging fine and much better than what I had previously, I didn't give it any second thought.[/quote]
I think the C thing has to do with the Mah of the battery too. Someone mentioned that on a 16000 mah battery-1C=16 amps.
So, 2C on a 2700mah=5.4 amps, or thereabouts-which is what I'm getting..actually 6.50-as I'm charging 1 now.

And-I don't think it will charge any faster than that......?? I'm fine with 30 minutes for the 2700(I kept writing 2800-but the maddogs are only 2700mah).
But-when the 8000mah gets here, we'll see. Supposed to be able to charge that at 5C..which would be 40? amps...but, I'm pretty sure I'm limited to a max of 150? watts....dunno for sure.
Remember-I didn't spend the extra $$$ to get that big AC/DC converter thingy. So, it's just the unit, plugged into an A/C outlet that I'm pretty sure has a 20amp breaker on it.
All this amps/volts/mah/C rating-is so confusing.......

In simplest terms.....

If you have a 5000 mAh Lipo and you charge it at 1C, that translates to 5 Amps. If you charge it at 2C, that translates to 10 amps and so on.

If you have a 6500 mAh Lipo and you charge it at 1C, that translates to 6.5 amps. If you charge it at 2C, that translates to 13 amps and so on.

Believe me, it took me a while to figure out the charging of lipos and what 1C and 2C meant.

The Hyperion Charger I have is the Hyperion EOS0720iNET3 AC/DC Balance Charger which will charge up 20 amps. I don't have a power source. I just plug mine into an outlet at home. When I'm out and about, I just plug it to my car battery and it charges just like at home. I wouldn't sit there all day and charging batteries because you'll kill your car battery. I've got 3 lipos to play with. Usually after the 3-4 flight, I'm done.

That's exactly what I thought...thanks for the explanation.
We have the exact same charger. I have the user "default" setting at 2C right now. But-I know you can change the amps in, per memory slot...but, if you have it set to 1C it only goes so high...I haven't figured out a way to set individual batteries to C by themselves yet.
OH, and I use my laptop all the time. Wading through memories on a charger just isn't my thing. Heck, my T8FGS is kicking my butt right now....stupid "spin" dial...argh!!!

havasuphoto said:
We have the exact same charger. I have the user "default" setting at 2C right now. But-I know you can change the amps in, per memory slot...but, if you have it set to 1C it only goes so high...I haven't figured out a way to set individual batteries to C by themselves yet.
OH, and I use my laptop all the time. Wading through memories on a charger just isn't my thing. Heck, my T8FGS is kicking my butt right now....stupid "spin" dial...argh!!!

The instructions are tricky to follow, it took me quite a few reads to understand. Good Luck!

These two links might help.

http://www.maxamps.com/pdf/EOSNET3_DUO3 Manual.pdf

http://spokane.clavideo.com/Maxamps_Minute/Charge_Discharge_Lipo_Hyperion_EOS720iACDC.html

Steve

FangsCPO said:
havasuphoto said:

The instructions are tricky to follow, it took me quite a few reads to understand. Good Luck!

These two links might help.

http://www.maxamps.com/pdf/EOSNET3_DUO3 Manual.pdf

http://spokane.clavideo.com/Maxamps_Minute/Charge_Discharge_Lipo_Hyperion_EOS720iACDC.html

Steve
Thanks for the manual-need that; easier to read on the 30" monitor, than the tiny little print in the book.
2nd link is dead......what's that for?

It was supposed to be a video on that charger but I guess the link is long dead

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Well, after a little over 5 hours of driving(round-trip), meeting the owner, talking and flying for 30 minutes-I returned home Yesterday a little after noon. I was about 10 minutes late-but the seller had found a small vacant park, right off the freeway-so we meet there and did the flight.
This F800 flies incredibly smooth, and is ridiculously easy to control. Wind? Ha-it just laughs at it. The retracts are cool-but kind of wobbly. I weighed the aircraft with battery and got 6.6 lbs, or right at 3000 grams, with battery(8000mah zippy-they're kinda heavy, and Go Pro).

So-charged up the batteries(only a max of 6.2amp-that's all this charger will put out), and went for 3 flights this morning. I had to use my goggles because my Black Pearl monitor won't be here until Tomorrow afternoon. I was using the Boscam TX832 receiver-which I already knew, did not give me any range on Airwave frequencies-this has the Immersion 600w VTX-set on channel 1, which is 5740(Ch 41 on the Boscam).
I could only get around 170M, and even then the video wasn't that great. However-the video from the Go Pro was great!! I used the black balls with ear plugs, and it was very smooth and stable-with no yaw wiggle, so no need for a 3rd axis on this aircraft.

Also-I need to re-adjust my way of thinking in regards to when to return home and land, at what voltage. Previously I had used 10.9 volts on the Phantom, as a good time for the aircraft to be front and center. Well-an 8000 mah battery still has a long way to go until it hits the first level warning at 10.7, when it's at 10.9.

I only flew each flight a little over 4 minutes-and the batteries still had around 40 or 50% remaining.

I'm hoping that by changing to a longer Spironet antenna on the aircraft(it had the really short one-Spironet CP), in combination with the Black Pearl receiver-to get much longer FPV range.
We'll see this weekend.
Here are some screen shots I took-from my 2nd video camera, of the take-off/landings. You can see-grass is rare here. But, I wanted my first flights to be out in the middle of nowhere, with nobody around. This thing is heavy....and has razor sharp blades-so I won't be going very close to anyone anytime soon.

Also-I use the Rubber Maid lid, as a helipad. The landing gear just fits-barely. And once, I landed towards the back-but my "flight training" kicked in, and I held power and slid it forward slowly, until the gear was in the center.
Also-since the retracts are so wobbly, I decided to carry it in the Rubber Maid tote. The gear is short enough that it doesn't touch the bottom-and it rests perfectly balanced on the arms.

Guys-flying a Phantom is way harder than flying this thing. With these long arms-it's just so smooth and stable.

Pictures;

Such a green landscape. ;-}

When I was flying there, I took off from sidewalks/roads but I would have thought the hard ground would work - too dusty?

Nice looking machine. I think it looks better in your pictures than in the original advertisements.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jorge sanchez