550 Pilot's lounge

Re: New Futaba receiver antenna is worth it!!!

Uncle Meat said:
So I ordered one of the 400mm Futaba replacement antennas.

Cool! Good to know it is working the way we thought it should. Getting the tips away from any electronics seems to be a big plus.

FangsCPO said:
Wow!!! That's pretty impressive. What was your flying time and how high were you??
Flying time out to 1800 meters was about 3 minutes. I stayed at about 50 meters in elevation, but I was flying from a hill overlooking the local golf course.

PJA said:
Was that 1800 meter flight with your 8000mah battery, U.M.? How long was the flight time... Do you have any video footage? We'd love to see it...
No I was using the 6400mAh. As stated above it only took about 3 minutes to hit that distance. I was flying full speed forward though. Didn't record any video because like a numb skull I forgot to start the GoPro before I took off! :lol: I'll make a vid next time of the trip out and back.

ladykate said:
Cool! Good to know it is working the way we thought it should. Getting the tips away from any electronics seems to be a big plus.
I was concerned that running the antenna tight against the ESC the way I did might cause a problem, but it didn't seem to have any effect.

I need to find or borrow a camcorder of some sort to record the video out from the Boscam Diversity receiver. That way I can superimpose that video alongside the GoPro footage.

U.M.

That's awesome distance. I've only hit a little over 1600M on the P1 with the Futaba and the short antenna's.
Same as you, turn around-video goes to snow!!! But, what I learned was-don't turn around.
go out to your distance-quickly, then, just pull back on the stick and fly in reverse-so your FPV antenna on the back is still facing you.
I figured out that at around the 700M mark, if I turned around, I either lost video, or in some cases, R/C signal...so, I just back up to that point, then turn around.
It'd kind of hairy going backwards-but with the iosd mini, you have your degree's reference to home point. Another method is to just switch to HL, and pull back until you get close enough to do the 180 degree turn.

Isn't overall speed reduced when in CL or HL mode? Seems I remember last time I used HL the speed at full reverse was about half of what full reverse in GPS mode was. Does CL/HL work in ATTI mode?

U.M.

Uncle Meat said:
Isn't overall speed reduced when in CL or HL mode? Seems I remember last time I used HL the speed at full reverse was about half of what full reverse in GPS mode was. Does CL/HL work in ATTI mode?

U.M.
Yes-and yes.
speed is set at around 8m/sec, or thereabouts-same as when you're in Failsafe. works in both GPS and atti mode.
Hit 20m/sec today in Atti mode, no wind(P1 w/vision props and 2800 mah battery-heavy). that was 30 degree's nose down.
GPS limits nose down to 25 degree's, and ATTI is 35 degree's. Manual is 45 degree's.....but-I've never flown in manual-not even a selection for me right now.

For those that forget to push record(like me-or I used to), this is a screen shot of my "helipad".....the numbers are there for tilt reference for the camera-and off to the left, you can read....."did you push record", on a piece of masking tape. this reminds me to look in the monitor/goggles to make sure the GP is counting up on it's clock and recording, before I take off;

Looks like I'll meet the buyer 1/2 way and pick up my new hex on Weds!!!
Question; what the largest capacity 3S battery out there? It comes with 3, 3S 8000 Zippy batteries. Are they any good? Any other battery recommendations?
It's stupid hot here in the Summer-so I'm not going to 4S until at least Winter time....so I'll just run the 3S with the 11" props to keep things nice and cool. Should have plenty of power only carrying a Go Pro...for now ;)

havasuphoto said:
Looks like I'll meet the buyer 1/2 way and pick up my new hex on Weds!!!
Question; what the largest capacity 3S battery out there? It comes with 3, 3S 8000 Zippy batteries. Are they any good? Any other battery recommendations?
It's stupid hot here in the Summer-so I'm not going to 4S until at least Winter time....so I'll just run the 3S with the 11" props to keep things nice and cool. Should have plenty of power only carrying a Go Pro...for now ;)

I put the Onyx 8000s on my 550. I was very pleased with the time aloft although the weight was noticeable when it came to maneuvers. I think you will probably like the zippy batteries if they are in good shape. I haven't used that brand but they seem heavy compared to Onyx. Weigh one when you get them and let us know. According to Hobby King, they weigh 845 grams. That is a lot. My Onyx come in at just under 600 grams. I can't imagine why there would be such a difference (of course, the Onyx are pricier so maybe there is a reason).

OI Photography said:
I don't know how much headroom you have with weight, but you can probably get away with something like this (@965g): http://www.rangevideo.com/en/3s/308-rv- ... -pack.html
Wow....I like that. Wonder if you could get it without the metal case? And, what's the 15/30C mean?
nm; max continuous discharge is 15C and burst is 30C
That would definitely give me some serious flight time!!! But-they're out of stock.....

Isn't there a formula somewhere to figure out how much weight you can carry on a modded F550-knowing the arms are 800mm, the engines, and props?
I've asked the seller to find out what the weight is now....and, I guess I'll have to go buy a digital scale.

Do you have a link to those Onyx batteries??

What about these?
http://www.gensace.de/find-batterie...0mah-11-1v-15-30c-3s1p-lipo-battery-pack.html

havasuphoto said:

Same places as before (look back on page 54 of this thread ;-} - Towerhobbies and eBay). I got two of them that were on sale for $20 off each one. Might pay to snoop around. They are normally $129 each.

ladykate said:
havasuphoto said:

Same places as before (look back on page 54 of this thread ;-} - Towerhobbies and eBay). I got two of them that were on sale for $20 off each one. Might pay to snoop around. They are normally $129 each.
Yikes!!! Vs. $44 for the Zippy's.....IKR :lol:

I'll poke around.....thanks. I don't want to get to invested in 3S-when I know I can run 4S(but with 10" props-or, change the engines).

havasuphoto said:
Isn't there a formula somewhere to figure out how much weight you can carry on a modded F550-knowing the arms are 800mm, the engines, and props?

You can figure your approximate weight capacity range if you have this type of data for your motors/props:

SG9kPkTl.jpg

Confirm for me which motors that has on it and I'll see if I can dig up the chart for them, and then we can figure out what you've got to work with. I think they're the SunnySky 2216's 700kv, correct?

havasuphoto said:
OI Photography said:
I don't know how much headroom you have with weight, but you can probably get away with something like this (@965g): http://www.rangevideo.com/en/3s/308-rv- ... -pack.html
Wow....I like that. Wonder if you could get it without the metal case? And, what's the 15/30C mean?
That would definitely give me some serious flight time!!! But-they're out of stock.....

I've asked the seller to find out what the weight is now....and, I guess I'll have to go buy a digital scale.

What about these?
http://www.gensace.de/find-batterie...0mah-11-1v-15-30c-3s1p-lipo-battery-pack.html

I would stick with a lipo rated 35C and above for these heavy birds. Anything below that and you'll need a push to get that bird off the ground. :lol: I know in my Phantom when I replaced the stock batteries with a battery rated at 45C, the bird was zipping through the sky. You'll pay more but you'll love the performance enhancement. Just a thought.

FangsCPO said:
havasuphoto said:
OI Photography said:

What about these?

I would stick with a lipo rated 35C and above for these heavy birds. Anything below that and you'll need a push to get that bird off the ground. :lol: I know in my Phantom when I replaced the stock batteries with a battery rated at 45C, the bird was zipping through the sky. You'll pay more but you'll love the performance enhancement. Just a thought.

The former owners says this aircraft, loaded up with 1 battery doesn't even pull 20A.....dunno how he measured that.
I'm looking for something that will allow me to "loiter" for long periods of time-think live broadcast; just park it there, and wait.......
I have the maddog 2800's for my P1, and I think they're 25C....had it up to 20m/sec Today-no wind, temp was 90 degree's and i'm at 500 feet above sea level. that was a bit over half throttle....and in atti mode, but I was only at 30 degree's not the 35 max tilt.
That was fast enough for me-I'm still so impressed with the "little phantom that could"....OH, and got 9 minutes before 1st level warning-on that flight.....

havasuphoto said:
SunnySky x2212-9 1400kv
and running Graupner E-Prop 11x5.0

Thanks.

I can't find any data on that motor that rates it with anything bigger than a 9" prop, so it's very hard to judge how far you can push them with those bigger blades.

One way to do a rough estimate is to see how much throttle it takes to maintain hover when in manual mode...if it's starting to get above 70% you're probably getting close to the upper range of your useful weight limit

OI Photography said:
havasuphoto said:
SunnySky x2212-9 1400kv
and running Graupner E-Prop 11x5.0

Thanks.

I can't find any data on that motor that rates it with anything bigger than a 9" prop, so it's very hard to judge how far you can push them with those bigger blades.

One way to do a rough estimate is to see how much throttle it takes to maintain hover when in manual mode...if it's starting to get above 70% you're probably getting close to the upper range of your useful weight limit
Why manual mode? Was going to avoid that mode like the plague.

havasuphoto said:

In manual mode, your throttle output is linear to your stick input. So, when the left stick is centered, you're using 50% throttle. In GPS mode, a centered left stick results in whatever power output the NAZA determines is necessary to maintain hover at your given weight.

This test isn't necessary, but without other available data it may be the best if not only way to judge what your true limits are there.

OI Photography said:
havasuphoto said:

In manual mode, your throttle output is linear to your stick input. So, when the left stick is centered, you're using 50% throttle. In GPS mode, a centered left stick results in whatever power output the NAZA determines is necessary to maintain hover at your given weight.

This test isn't necessary, but without other available data it may be the best if not only way to judge what your true limits are there.
That's good info to know...had no idea how the naza works-thanks.
But, raising the throttle in manual mode-yea, that's for somebody with a clue-and that's not me.

Question-you've seen the aircraft with the 800mm arms kits; what engine and prop package would you put on it, to make it a "heavy(ier), lifter", that runs 4S and can be in the 10+ minute flight range, carrying a Z15 type gimbal and a GH3/4?

I have this "sense" that a new gimbal controller is coming out soon-that will be a game changer. And-that will blow the door open on 3 axis kits that will be much more reasonable in price than what is currently available.

I thought you were going to upgrade to the 3508s? The 2212s are probably not what you want to stick with - they are small for that aircraft.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
robvalduga