Would appreciate suggestions (yaw rate)

Reaction score
I have an annoying problem that I see on two different P4P's. From time to time I need to record video doing a slow 360-degree rotation. Mostly it just involves holding in a constant moderate yaw input for the duration of the turn. The maneuver works well in no/low winds, but in decent winds, like 12+mph, there is always a point in the rotation where the rate of turn slows down noticeably for about 1/4 turn, maybe less, and it happens at the same spot each trial. Happens with both P4P's and is a pain to try to edit out in post.

I can't understand why the drone would need different power due to orientation to the wind during rotation, but maybe it does. I've played with stick tuning to make the yaw rate less sensitive to small inputs thinking that I might be making small changes in the input, but no joy. I keep thinking that I can figure this out, but the problem is still hanging around. Fortunately the situation doesn't come up very often.

Thoughts/suggestions welcome. Thanks................ Bob r.

I have an annoying problem that I see on two different P4P's. From time to time I need to record video doing a slow 360-degree rotation. Mostly it just involves holding in a constant moderate yaw input for the duration of the turn. The maneuver works well in no/low winds, but in decent winds, like 12+mph, there is always a point in the rotation where the rate of turn slows down noticeably for about 1/4 turn, maybe less, and it happens at the same spot each trial. Happens with both P4P's and is a pain to try to edit out in post.

I can't understand why the drone would need different power due to orientation to the wind during rotation, but maybe it does. I've played with stick tuning to make the yaw rate less sensitive to small inputs thinking that I might be making small changes in the input, but no joy. I keep thinking that I can figure this out, but the problem is still hanging around. Fortunately the situation doesn't come up very often.

Thoughts/suggestions welcome. Thanks................ Bob r.
Probably the first thing you'd want to know is, is this a common problem shared by others. I'll try it with my P4P next breezy day and let ya know.

Does the wind direction at the starting point makes any difference? Does it hapen if you start at different angle of yaw movement according to the wind direction?

I've been battling this phenomenon with my P3 for years... I chalked it up to the wind gusts playing havoc with the drone. Its hard for it to keep a nice steady pace when the amount of resistance it faces changes by the second.

Apologies for the slow response -- caught a life-happens moment. I haven't fully explored the different conditions that cause it to happen and not happen other than it only crops up with wind. Usually I've been on a job when it's happened and havne't had the time to run trials. When life slows down a bit I'll try some of those CW versus CCW trials starting at different headings and using more than one drone. I'm also going to see if one of the tuning settings can affect how quickly the operating system can bring on power, like the braking sensitivity can affect pitch. It's somewhat encouraging that I'm not the only one who's experienced this. Will post any learnings.

I have got over this problem. Instead of using the yaw control . Select intelligent Flight modes., and set up an ORBIT manouver. The camera can look inside or outside the circle, the set a required speed and orbit.
The bigger the radius set the slow and more precise is the yaw effect. You won't get a smother effect any other way.

Reactions: JCFP
Just WOW! What a terrific idea. I'll set that up and try it this week. Sounds like a perfect solution. Thanks for the tip, Big_A. That might have occurred to me given enough time/pain/frustration, but it would have been a long time. Thanks again................... Bob R.

Interesting. I haven't thought about that either. But seems to me a bit complicated to set up circling parameters each time you see something interesting. And if you have some obstacles near this will no go. But this can be very smooth movement I believe.
By the way I'm sure that you set up the stick for the yaw movement to the low level.
And in addition - if I want very slow yaw movement it is better to move very slow forward and simultaneously turn around. You'll do a very small forward circle that way but the the circling will be very smooth.

That slow forward during the circle is another good suggestion Andy9. Thanks for that.

The slow circle is a maneuver used in a commercial real estate video deliverable. So I'm usually on site quite a while and can set up for deliberate shots. Getting the shot hasn't been a problem until it gets windy, and now I have two possible solutions.

Great ideas. ................ R

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20