Winter Flying

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Ive only had my Phantom 4 during the summer months, I was wondering how cold does it have to get in order to be grounded?

Reactions: Phil DeVore
So the biggest problem with flying in the cold is the battery getting cold and shutting down.
We have clients in Alaska and Antartica, mostly research teams using the Phantom Rain Wet Suit to fly in the Extreme Cold 20/30 below zero.

One of the reasons why the Wet Suits works so well is they hold in a little more heat , but more importantly seal the battery shut stopping the cold air from getting into it.
The wet suits are designed to negotiate the pouring rain so no amount of snow is a problem.

The Wet Suits take all the stress away from flying in the Extreme Cold . :).

The video records beautifully. No

Just a thought you might consider.
We fly in extreme weather , Phantomrain.org

Example of a Phantom Rain Wet Suit in the snow.. We also have a 7 minute video of 14 degree below zero on are website.

Keep your batteries warm like I keep mine in my pockets
when I get out to fly. Now winters down here aren’t that
bad but I have more issues with my fingers. It does cut
down on my flying time abit.

Reactions: CANEKiTA
I live in Alaska and fly without any issues all year long, I make sure to keep my batteries warm before inserting them into the drone. Once in flight the phantom is able to maintain the batteries warm even in -temps., I use a DIY battery warmer made from an electric heating pad inside the liner of an insulated lunch bag.

Flew my drone in Minus17 degree Celious

Last edited:
From everything I've read, the phantoms generally handle the cold better than their pilots do as long (as mentioned above) as you start with a nice warm. fully charged battery. You will have slightly reduced flight times but otherwise no worries.

Reactions: PhantomWetSuits
Software won't allow the batteries to work if they are too cold. You will get a warning that they are almost too cold and your flight speed will be limited. A little colder and they won't start at all. You can search for it but I think it is around 20F and you get the warning, 15F and they won't start.

Another issue is your hands. Fingers get _really_ cold. You really need glove to fly in cold weather.

How cold are we talking? unless its extreme cases. Keeping batteries warm should keep you airborne. You can keep them in your pockets so body heat does the job or get battery warmers, but they use about 3% of the batteries power. The cold can also reduce flight time, so be aware of distance and powers levels.

Like everyone, being aware and using common sense and you will be fine.

At 32F, I begin to consider the battery and assure that it has been pre-warmed to around 60F when I insert it. I often place them on my car’s dash and warm them with the car’s heater. Also, expect to experience faster battery drain in colder temps. Another major issue not yet mentioned is your monitoring device. I have the 10.5” IPad Pro, and I’ve had it shut down during flight due to cold. That said, the importance of maintaining visual line of sight during cold weather operations is fairly significant.

Reactions: DR.B and JazzAir
I keep my batteries in inside pockets so body heat helps keep them warm.

Also, I put a small amount of Rain-X on both the AC and props. It helps keep ice from forming.

While on this topic, a simple and fairly cheap solution to a battery warmer while in the field - and away from any other heat sources - is a wool sock full of rice. Secure the open end with some twine, place it in a microwave for a minute or so depending on your device, and put it and your batteries in a cheap, soft sided cooler. This works quite well, and the rice pack can be used multiple times. Eventually, as the rice dries out, it will no longer heat up as it did the first few times, but that's an easy fix...

Do they actually ice up???
If the temperature is below freezing and the humidity is fairly high, it is definitely a possibility. I read this tip on a forum, may have been here, before I ever flew in the winter. I have Rain-X on hand for my pick-up, so I've never flown without it and thus have never had ice form.

Reactions: 3rdof5
So the biggest problem with flying in the cold is the battery getting cold and shutting down.
We have clients in Alaska and Antartica, mostly research teams using the Phantom Rain Wet Suit to fly in the Extreme Cold 20/30 below zero.

One of the reasons why the Wet Suits works so well is they hold in a little more heat , but more importantly seal the battery shut stopping the cold air from getting into it.
The wet suits are designed to negotiate the pouring rain so no amount of snow is a problem.

The Wet Suits take all the stress away from flying in the Extreme Cold . :).

The video records beautifully. No

Just a thought you might consider.
We fly in extreme weather , Phantomrain.org

Example of a Phantom Rain Wet Suit in the snow.. We also have a 7 minute video of 14 degree below zero on are website.

No disrespect meant but I'd like to ask you about some of your claims. For example,

This statement makes absolutely no sense to me at all. "One of the reasons why the Wet Suits works so well is they hold in a little more heat."

Exactly how does a DJI Phantom that's only partially covered with a bit of rubber keep any heat inside the drone when the rest of the drone is still exposed to the extreme cold and all the vents are still left uncovered? Have you measured the ambient temperature of a DJI Phantom in flight? What type of "in flight" tests have you done to prove the claim that your wetsuits keep any heat inside?

You also say that "Wetsuits take all the stress away from flying in Extreme Cold" Could you explain how a wetsuit can "take away" all the stress when flying in the cold? I fly in the extreme cold here in Canada all winter (without a wetsuit) and have never experienced any stress while flying.

Finally, you said you have clients in Alaska and Antartica, using the Wet Suit to fly in the Extreme Cold 20/30 below zero.

Since thirty (30) below zero, is 62 degrees below freezing. You're claiming that with your wetsuit, a DJI Phantom can fly long enough to do research at 62 degrees below freezing?

I've flown my Phantom 4 Pro here in Canada at minus 20 or so below FREEZING but never at 20 or 30 below Zero. When I've flown at minus 20 below freezing, NOT ZERO my batteries don't last more than ten minutes each, and I keep them warm in the vehicle until I need them.

Just curious is all.

Bud

I can't find where this 7 minute video is on your WebSite. Could you please provide a link to it?

Thank you.

I can't find where this 7 minute video is on your WebSite. Could you please provide a link to it?

Thank you.

Lets talk a little bit about the Neoprene , it closed cell the same stuff scuba diving suits are made of but not as thick.
Closed cell Neoprene is used to keep warmth in thus the drone creates heat and the Neoprene covering the Shell stays warmer.

Than you have the battery, just like water can get into the battery , the cold wind can also.
When you seal up the battery , its makes it harder for the cold air to get in.

We do not live in Alaska or Antartica, but we get letters from our clients all the time about how cold it was when they went up so that is where the claims
are from. Other have posted there results also.

So keeping the battery warm, and Utilizing the Phantom Rain Wet Suit is key to flying in the extreme cold.
We live on the lake Erie so we also have the WInd Chill Factor.

This is a good video showing the battery and why the cold and water can get in.

Since no part of your wetsuit covers the SD Card Slot, what prevents rain getting into the SD Card Slot when flying in driving rain?

The video on your WebSite only shows a Phantom simply hovering which may not get much rain in the SD Card slot but when flying directly into the rain it's definitely going to get into that slot.

If you're so sure of your product, would you replace my Phantom 4 Pro if I bought your product, put it on my Phantom and it failed in the rain due to water damage?

Finally, why would I ever want to stand out in the pouring rain flying an expensive Phantom 4 Pro in the rain when I couldn't possibly obtain any decent video worth producing? That just makes no sense at all.

Oh, and By the way, you didn't answer my question about your claim that your wetsuit allows a DJI Phantom to fly in 62 degrees below freezing with enough time to do whatever research those folks with their Phantom 4 Pro's in Antarctica have to do.

Lets talk a little bit about the Neoprene , it closed cell the same stuff scuba diving suits are made of but not as thick.
Closed cell Neoprene is used to keep warmth in thus the drone creates heat and the Neoprene covering the Shell stays warmer.

Than you have the battery, just like water can get into the battery , the cold wind can also.
When you seal up the battery , its makes it harder for the cold air to get in.
Cold air doesn't have to get in to get the drone cold. All the other exposed plastic parts on the drone simply get cold due to the extreme cold and would radiate throughout the rest of the plastic on the drone.

I fly for hours at a time in sub zero weather here in Canada and have never needed a wetsuit to keep my Phantom 4 warm. It flies just fine without any of that stuff.

We do not live in Alaska or Antartica, but we get letters from our clients all the time about how cold it was when they went up so that is where the claims
are from. Other have posted there results also.

So keeping the battery warm, and Utilizing the Phantom Rain Wet Suit is key to flying in the extreme cold.
We live on the lake Erie so we also have the WInd Chill Factor.
Since you have no actual test results proving that your wetsuit keeps the battery warmer I'm not convinced it does what you say it does. Have you taken the temperature of the battery in flight, and after the flight to make an honest comparison? If not, then how do you know the battery is warmer due to your wetsuit?

This is a good video showing the battery and why the cold and water can get in.

Last edited:
Your wrong about the SD card not having a cover : We have a plug that fits right into the Surge Mask .
There are over 100 videos posted of us flying in the rain , but the only time you can see it best is when in the hover position.

Over 5000 units have sold because of a need for such a tool as this.

It locks in the props - Many drones fall to the ground because of this.
It locks in the battery - Many drones fall to the ground because the battery falls out
It locks in the Leg Clips which protect the GPS
It Seals the battery from the water and the Cold
It provides a nice quick Visual and Orientation of the drone in the sky.
It allows you to negoitate changing weather without panic.

Why would you not want a Wet Suit when it solves most of the issues that have been reported on this forum repeatedly over and over again.

Phantomrain.org
Approved Vendor

Your wrong about the SD card not having a cover : We have a plug that fits right into the Surge Mask .
I can only go by what I see on your WebSite and the photo below is off your WebSite and it clearly shows an open SD Card Slot.
1540665440835.jpeg

There are over 100 videos posted of us flying in the rain , but the only time you can see it best is when in the hover position.

Over 5000 units have sold because of a need for such a tool as this.

It locks in the props - Many drones fall to the ground because of this.
Carefully going over my pre-flight checklist prevents props from falling off
It locks in the battery - Many drones fall to the ground because the battery falls out
I make sure the battery is always secure and have never had an issue in years.
It locks in the Leg Clips which protect the GPS
Never had a problem with the leg clips yet.
It Seals the battery from the water and the Cold
I never fly in the rain. That would be dumb.
It provides a nice quick Visual and Orientation of the drone in the sky.
I always fly in visual line of sight so it's of no use to me?
It allows you to negoitate changing weather without panic.

I never panic because I don't fly in bad weather.

Why would you not want a Wet Suit when it solves most of the issues that have been reported on this forum repeatedly over and over again.
Because I will not fly an expensive Phantom 4 Pro IN THE RAIN!!

Your product is a solution without a problem. You STILL didn't answer my questions, and that's twice now.

Anyway, I'm done!!

Phantomrain.org
Approved Vendor

I would never fly in the rain. The only reason I could see it being absolutely necessary would be for search and rescue where time is of the essence but there are AC on the market designed specifically for that and they are weather proof and usually have thermal imaging as well. None of the phantom series were designed for anything but aerial photography which clearly isnt going to be great in anything but good weather. While I'm not disrespecting your rain suit product, i simply see no need for it nor would i trust it do anything to protect my phantom from anything other than maybe preventing it from sinking in the unfortunate event of a water landing. Which likely would destroy it anyway even if it floated. The added extra weight is not a fair tradeoff for its advertised benefits imo. Just my 2 cents.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
spaz_12