wind speed

Reaction score
Is there a way you can tell wind speed and direction of wind form you drone? Can someone explain it?

Thank you

Is there a way you can tell wind speed and direction of wind form you drone? Can someone explain it?
The easiest way is to fly up and switch to ATTI mode. Then watch the speed and direction of drift. That will give you a good estimation. Other than that. Not another way to do that until after flight.

thank you
You should have a good idea of wind direction from the feel of the wind on your face, watching tree branches, flags etc.
When you launch try flying directly into the wind and see how much it affects the drone's speed.
If it really east the speed, factor that into your flight plan.
It's a lot better to fly slowly upwind and have an easy flight home, than to do it the other way around.

Reactions: Quest-So
Wind speed & direction are the most important weather conditions for flying drones. You should always launch and land your sUAS into the wind. You want to know wind speed first and foremost to see if it exceeds your aircraft wind resistance speed, and to know how to react and gain control should your aircraft go into atti mode.
There are plenty of apps that have wind speed and direction. One of the ones I use is ‎Wind Compass. You can also buy a windsock on Amazon which would give you the most accurate readings in your flight area.

Reactions: Alvaro L
Im not at all concerned about the wind for the actual flight I want to use the drone to measure the wind speed

You can buy an relatively inexpensive anemometer for $30. It will at least tell you surface winds. Winds aloft will be slightly higher as you increase altitude but I don't think you're going to see a tremendous deviation between the surface and 200 or 300 feet.

Reactions: skymonkey
Im not at all concerned about the wind for the actual flight I want to use the drone to measure the wind speed
Then I think you should find another source for you information. Drones are not weather monitors. Nor, were they ever intended to be.

Fix a Vaavud ultrasonica Wind Bluetooth wind meter on top of your Phantom.

Wind speed & direction are the most important weather conditions for flying drones. You should always launch and land your sUAS into the wind. You want to know wind speed first and foremost to see if it exceeds your aircraft wind resistance speed, and to know how to react and gain control should your aircraft go into atti mode. There are plenty of apps that have wind speed and direction. One of the ones I use is ‎Wind Compass. You can also buy a windsock on Amazon which would give you the most accurate readings in your flight area.

This.

Wind is the most important external factor for a serious drone operator. I have a digital anemometer and I measure wind and direction before and after flying, just to realise how wind speed and direction continuously change during an operation. I live in the coast so it is always windy here. I have also become used to launch and land into the wind with combined forward and vertical components, since I have found that a wind gust can turn drone upside down just after take off if only vertical lift is used. In fact I do landing circuits and touch and go practices into the wind, ATTI flying, high winds practice, etc. In general 20 km/h (13 m/h) is the upper limit for any of my operations. I also keep an eye on wind gusts. I use windy.com for prediction but I base my final decision on onsite metering. I have found myself packing 300 km. back home without flying because of wind.

Last edited:
Reactions: skymonkey
Correct me if I'm wrong, but, l don't think you'll get an accurate reading considering all the prop wash that will be involved.

As I just wrote, fix a Vaavud ultrasonic wind meter on top of the drone. It will measure the wind and will send the data to the app of your iPhone. As long as the Bluetooth connection will last. The device is not cheap. I use it on top of the mast of my sailing boat.

As I just wrote, fix a Vaavud ultrasonic wind meter on top of the drone. It will measure the wind and will send the data to the app of your iPhone. As long as the Bluetooth connection will last. The device is not cheap. I use it on top of the mast of my sailing boat.

will it deduct movement from the "flying station"? have you used this system?

This.

Wind is the most important external factor for a serious drone operator. I have a digital anemometer and I measure wind and direction before and after flying, just to realise how wind speed and direction can change during an operation. I live in the coast so it is always windy. I have also become used to launch and land into the wind with combined forward and vertical components, since I have found that a wind gust can turn drone upside down just after take off if only vertical lift is used. In fact I do landing circuits and touch and go practices into the wind, ATTI flying, high winds practice, etc. In general 20 km/h (13 m/h) is the upper limit for any of my operations. I also keep an eye on wind gusts. I use windy.com for prediction but I base my final decision on onsite metering. I have found myself packing 300 km. back home without flying because of wind.

I also have a digital anemometer and use it to check wind speed and compare the wind speeds from apps which I use. Anytime during a flight I feel the wind has picked up I’ll measure and if to high I will bring my bird down and call it a day.
The max wind resistance on the P4P+V2 is a little over 22 mph so 13 is still doable. Just pay attention to the gust if it goes above 22.

If course you measure the wind influenced by the propellers. I don’t know the purpose of NineFive to measure the wind at the Drone itself. Maybe he wants to fly the drone to the top of a bridge e.g. , land it there and than he gets the true wind speed.

Wind speed & direction are the most important weather conditions for flying drones. You should always launch and land your sUAS into the wind. You want to know wind speed first and foremost to see if it exceeds your aircraft wind resistance speed, and to know how to react and gain control should your aircraft go into atti mode.
There are plenty of apps that have wind speed and direction. One of the ones I use is ‎Wind Compass. You can also buy a windsock on Amazon which would give you the most accurate readings in your flight area.
I downloaded this app today before going out to fly. I always check more than one weather app to see wind speed forecast. Wind Compass showed gusts of 15.5 mph which was a little higher than other apps but seemed pretty close to how it felt. Nice to see wind direction shown on a compass. Thanks for sharing this info.

You should have a good idea of wind direction from the feel of the wind on your face, watching tree branches, flags etc.
When you launch try flying directly into the wind and see how much it affects the drone's speed.
If it really east the speed, factor that into your flight plan.
It's a lot better to fly slowly upwind and have an easy flight home, than to do it the other way around.
But there are times the air is calm on the ground but not up above.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31