Why does my P3 film with so much noise

D

DrewFlies

I have plenty of flights with p3 and no matter what exposure or ISO settings its on I ALWAYS pick up so much noise. I figured buying the SRP filter would help. I put on ND 16/CP on today and filmed with multiple exposure/ISO setting and still cant get rid of the noise. How do you guys have videos with no noise.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Last edited by a moderator:
Its almost unbearable to take the time to edit a video with noise so bad. I will throw up a no edit one on youtube so you can see what I'm talking about. It's uploading now and makes me want to puke every time I see. Its not professional at all and looks worse than my cellphone capturing home videos.

Pointers to p3A camera setup much appreciated. Please dont point me to that annoying German guy on on YouTube Timmy techy tomliboo or whatever it is ....

Are you positive you are locking in the ISO where you want it - that it's not doing the Auto ISO thing and pushing the ISO very high?

yea I even turn down the exposure using the right dial all the way down to where I can barely even see picture on my screen (while standing under a tree). Just to test when I'm post editing and yet still see noise.... Like I said I have a little 20-30 second clip uploading to youtube now. Bare with me.

*Update it's still finalizing- Give me about an hour and I will be sure to throw it up on this thread.

Every clip was filmed at different exposures and ISO. There is noise and grain on every single clip. This is just one sample.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

If you are adding an ND filter, you are forcing the camera to shoot higher ISO and thus more noise. Adding an ND filter does not reduce noise, it has potential to add it.
In bright light turn the ISO setting down or off auto and put it on the lowest.
that's all there is to it.

yea I even turn down the exposure using the right dial all the way down to where I can barely even see picture on my screen (while standing under a tree). Just to test when I'm post editing and yet still see noise.... Like I said I have a little 20-30 second clip uploading to youtube now. Bare with me.

*Update it's still finalizing- Give me about an hour and I will be sure to throw it up on this thread.

Closing exposure down may increase noise. I have noise on my footage before being recompressed in edit. You might try the custom camera settings and turn down sharpness.

no advice?
What am I missing here-- real question, video clips look pretty good on my monitor. I don't see a lot of noise-- or maybe I don't know what real noise looks like??? Educate me:)

What am I missing here-- real question, video clips look pretty good on my monitor. I don't see a lot of noise-- or maybe I don't know what real noise looks like??? Educate me:)

I don't understand. Your headline says noise issues. Yet you say it looks good on your monitor. ru shooting in 4K?

I have plenty of flights with p3 and no matter what exposure or ISO settings its on I ALWAYS pick up so much noise. I figured buying the SRP filter would help. I put on ND 16/CP on today and filmed with multiple exposure/ISO setting and still cant get rid of the noise.
The neutral density filters aren't for reducing noise.
They are like dark glasses for your camera and reduce light.
The higher the number, the more light they cut.
They are used to force the camera to use a longer shutter speed in video to avoid issues with prop shadows,

Reactions: sergekouper
I don't understand. Your headline says noise issues. Yet you say it looks good on your monitor. ru shooting in 4K?
I am asking about drew files video-- not mine

The neutral density filters aren't for reducing noise.
They are like dark glasses for your camera and reduce light.
The higher the number, the more light they cut.
They are used to force the camera to use a longer shutter speed in video to avoid issues with prop shadows,
ND filters will help to soften an image, Using a slower frame rate allows more image in and creates a natural motion blur (more natural to the eye). Higher frame rates create a sharper image (good for slow mo or stop frame). But a very hard image. Remember 4K has alot of information to process. It's a point of diminishing return. I think the P3P cam. is really good for the money.

ND filters will help to soften an image, Using a slower frame rate allows more image in and creates a natural motion blur (more natural to the eye). Higher frame rates create a sharper image (good for slow mo or stop frame). But a very hard image. Remember 4K has alot of information to process. It's a point of diminishing return. I think the P3P cam. is really good for the money.

Im starting to second guess that and really wish I got something that can lift my GoPro Hero 4 Black edition up in the air. Right now, I have more confidence in my GoPro than I do my P3P camera.

Im starting to second guess that and really wish I got something that can lift my GoPro Hero 4 Black edition up in the air. Right now, I have more confidence in my GoPro than I do my P3P camera.

I have both. I've just finished a video using 3 different 4k cameras. The P3p camera looks great with a little finishing in post.

I do have an outdated mac. But, i know thats not the only issue. I have watched other videos on youtube that have great quality and my mac shows barely any if any noise at all. Some of the videos on this forum come out great and my mac has no signs of noise in them. But, everytime I throw my P3P up in the air, I can't get away from the noise/grainy quality. I will give it one last attempt tomorrow and will mess around with shutter speed and iso. Ill check if that works. But, I'm about to call my authorized dealer and complain that I have a defective unit. I cant think of any other reason.

I do have an outdated mac. But, i know thats not the only issue. I have watched other videos on youtube that have great quality and my mac shows barely any if any noise at all. Some of the videos on this forum come out great and my mac has no signs of noise in them. But, everytime I throw my P3P up in the air, I can't get away from the noise/grainy quality. I will give it one last attempt tomorrow and will mess around with shutter speed and iso. Ill check if that works. But, I'm about to call my authorized dealer and complain that I have a defective unit. I cant think of any other reason.

When you watch a 4k video posted on youtube, it is re-compressed to a H264 - 4k format. Artifacts don't really show up after that re=compression.

I will give it one last attempt tomorrow and will mess around with shutter speed and iso. Ill check if that works. But, I'm about to call my authorized dealer and complain that I have a defective unit. I cant think of any other reason.
Not sure because you haven't mentioned it but have you tried just using plain vanilla auto to start with?
If you don't understand what the controls do, it's easy to mess things up.
Auto is a good place to start and then you can adjust to address any particular issues.

Your computer really doesn't have anything to do with noise in a video. Have you tried uploading one of your videos to YouTube and then comparing it to others? YouTube compresses the footage like Mike said but also adds some noise reduction.
Another option is adding noise reduction yourself in post like Neat Video but that takes a lot of CPU power.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31